2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Jacka$$ Moment
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you diesel owners change your oil? Do you do it yourselves or do you take it to one of those placeslike Jiffylube? This is my first diesel, so any other preventative maintenance tips you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dook

·
archTech
8,740 Posts
5,000 miles on the personal trucks and 3,000 miles on the trucks that are worked. Fuel and air filters changed and cleaned every 15,000-20,000 miles. We do our own since I have seen what those other quick lube places can do and will not stand behind. Dookie Ray, is your new diesel a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Dookie I have a chevy that gives oil life as a percentage. I change at 50% life remaining. Usually works out to be 8000 to 10000 miles. I does go to 7000 or 8000 if I am pulling the boat alot. My truck is a 2004 so it gets a little better fuel economy than the new trucks and since they measure fuel to decide on oil life mine might be a little higher in mileage before I have to change. If you have a new truck you are using CJ4 oil and this oil is really good at what it does. It is close to being a synthetic. What ever you decide on good luck to you and good fishing.

·
Jacka$$ Moment
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a '04 Dodge diesel and not sure what brand or type oil is in it right now, I'm just looking for some oil change frequencies and oil brand preferences. Thanks for the tips so far, keep 'em coming.

Dook

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
HHHHMMMMMM

Guys, i wouldn't push a deisel oil change past 5,000 ever. Most all turbo's are oil cooled and with that said, the vanes get gummed up if the oil is pushed too long and will cause premature Turbo failure. i have never seen a Turbo fail on a client who is changing their oil at 5,000 miles or less and i'm talking several clients that have over 250,000 miles. the Turbo failures are the ones pushing 7,500-10,000 miles between oil changes and even some of them using that high dollar stuff..Worth the money for that kind of oil???? i don't use it, and i've been working-on and fixing vehicles for over 20 years.

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
Majek Texas Slam
5,354 Posts
I changed mine every 5k, air and fuel filter every 10k. I took mine to the dealer. I dont let jiffylube or anyone else touch mine as they do not stand behind their work as stated above. I got in cooll with a service manager and he would cut me deals since we took alll our vehicles to him.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I would change it every 5k using the Valvoline Premium Blue, its the oil recommended by Cummins. Granted, its all good, Delo, Rotella, etc..., I wouldn't hesitate to use any name brand oil specific to diesel engines. I'm using the Napa premium fleet diesel oil as is made by Valvoline and its $9.99 for four quarts. The guys there said they are always sold out and people really like this stuff. I wouldn't waste the money on synthetic oil, just keep it changed and use a Napa gold or Fleetguard filter. You ought to be able to do an oil change for about $40 and have it done yourself in less than 30 minutes. In my book thats quicker than driving somewhere, sitting in line, paying, etc. and about half the cost.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MK2003-AF-FL-DG

That's good for 4 oil changes(5000 miles), fuel filter(10,000 miles), air filter(20,000 miles).

I use Delo in mine, partly because I work for Chevron, but also because my Dad used it for years in his Peterbilt and never had an single engine failure.

Oh, and unless you want to spend some coin, don't go clicking around that site too much. ;)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Guys, i wouldn't push a deisel oil change past 5,000 ever. Most all turbo's are oil cooled and with that said, the vanes get gummed up if the oil is pushed too long and will cause premature Turbo failure. i have never seen a Turbo fail on a client who is changing their oil at 5,000 miles or less and i'm talking several clients that have over 250,000 miles. the Turbo failures are the ones pushing 7,500-10,000 miles between oil changes and even some of them using that high dollar stuff..Worth the money for that kind of oil???? i don't use it, and i've been working-on and fixing vehicles for over 20 years.
Vanes get gummed up? Oil cooled? The oil supplied to a turbo merely lubricates the shaft and bearing, I suppose the oil also cools the shaft and bearings. Many over the road trucks will run well past 50,000 miles on an oil change with the proper filtration. The only way to tell if you are changing your oil too soon or too late is by using the information obtained from an oil analysis. The rest is all conjecture.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Dino oil after synthetic

Okay, I have used Amsoil alot and now have some Rotella synthetic in my 05 Cummins. Can you switch back to regular oil after synthetic? I have heard some people say you shouldn't. What do you'll think?

·
Jacka$$ Moment
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MK2003-AF-FL-DG

That's good for 4 oil changes(5000 miles), fuel filter(10,000 miles), air filter(20,000 miles).

I use Delo in mine, partly because I work for Chevron, but also because my Dad used it for years in his Peterbilt and never had an single engine failure.

Oh, and unless you want to spend some coin, don't go clicking around that site too much. ;)
Thanks gitchesum, that doesn't seem like too bad a price for all those filters and such. And you are right, that place can get costly!

Dook

·
Living life in the 77H20 zip code
846 Posts
5,000 miles on engine oil and filter changes
10,000 miles on fuel filters

Air filter AS NEEDED !!!! This is very important. Diesel engines are much more susceptible to damage from dirty air entering the turbo and engine.

Your performance and fuel mileage is also greatly effected by how clean or dirty your air filter is on a Diesel.

If dirt gets past the filter, it will take out the turbo first, than the debris from the turbo will take out the first cylinder fed by the turbo and your motor is toast.

So I would definately give your air filter a visual check every oil change and replace as needed.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
Vanes get gummed up? Oil cooled? The oil supplied to a turbo merely lubricates the shaft and bearing, I suppose the oil also cools the shaft and bearings. Many over the road trucks will run well past 50,000 miles on an oil change with the proper filtration. The only way to tell if you are changing your oil too soon or too late is by using the information obtained from an oil analysis. The rest is all conjecture.
Correct. Only the center shafts are touched by the oil. In fact, the shaft on most turbos rotate on layer of oil rather than the typical bearing system.

You want clean oil in the turbo, and it's also a good idea to let your engine cool down a little before shutting down to prevent the oil in the turbo from coking or sludging up inside the center section.

The vanes only contact filtered air on the compressor side, and exhaust gases on the turbine side.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
5,000 miles on engine oil and filter changes
10,000 miles on fuel filters

Air filter AS NEEDED !!!! This is very important. Diesel engines are much more susceptible to damage from dirty air entering the turbo and engine.

Your performance and fuel mileage is also greatly effected by how clean or dirty your air filter is on a Diesel.

If dirt gets past the filter, it will take out the turbo first, than the debris from the turbo will take out the first cylinder fed by the turbo and your motor is toast.

So I would definately give your air filter a visual check every oil change and replace as needed.
Good advise. Also a periodic check of the air filter indicator should be done when you check your oil while fueling up(also a good idea). If the filter gets dirty, it will create more restriction which will pull the filter indicator down.

·
Living life in the 77H20 zip code
846 Posts
Good advise. Also a periodic check of the air filter indicator should be done when you check your oil while fueling up(also a good idea). If the filter gets dirty, it will create more restriction which will pull the filter indicator down.
I have a story that goes along with checking your filter indicator on the side of the air box. I have a K&N filter in my 2003 Dodge. I like to take the filter out every other month and wash and let air dry before oiling and re-installing. So I bought a Fram filter from the parts store to run in the truck while letting my K & N air dry for a few days.

The Fram filters have a 1/4 inch layer of fiber looking mesh stuff that is like a pre-filter before the paper. On a brand new filter installed, the filter indicator will immediately read 1/2 clogged when using the Fram new out of the box !!!

The mesh pre filter is so dense, it greatly restricts air flow. The Fram filter was actually even arched as the engine was trying to "suck It" into the turbo.

I re-installed the K&N and the truck felt like it gained 10-15 hp.

Also, on another note, when you replace your air filter, clean the mass air flow sensor on your filter box with brake cleaner. You will be surprised how much better your Dodge will run !!!!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
my 06 F250 is changed at 7000-7500 miles and I use rotella only. I would never go to a jiffylube or a quickchange place. Being an engine salesmen in the past and having sold dozens of engines to jiffylube and these places I know what type of work they can do. I take my vehicle to goodyear where it is changed by real mechanics. I feel better that way

1 - 20 of 31 Posts