2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read Johnboat's thread in Bluewater about Ethanol messing up the Marine engines. Didn't want to jump his thread.

Have any of you had trouble with your 'Check Engine ' lights comming on and going off in a couple of days in your cars or trucks ? Mine does it at least once every week and a half. It's usually when my gas tank is low.
A mechanic told me it was because the Ethanol was messing up the Oxygen Sensor. Anybody else ??? :work:

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
my "check engine" light was coming on and off a couple of years ago - eventually being more on than off - and i had to have two o2 sensors replaced. they aren't cheap. if i recall, they were like $100 each, or more.

since ethanol burns very cleanly, i would think other components in gasoline like sulfer and mbte would cause degradation of the sensors before the ethanol would.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Mine goes on and off. I put it in the shop under warranty three times. They replaced o-ring under injector the first time. Drove it about 80 miles stopped at rest area and it cma eon when I started it. I drove it to California and back with no problems. Secodn time, they replaced a crankshaft position sensor. Came on after about 75miles. Drove it to Iowa and back with no problems with the light mostly on. The last time they cleaned all the injectors. Came back on next day. When I took it in, the Servivce Advisor said there are 23 things that will turn that light on. I responded I hope I don't have to find all 23 one at a time! Guvmnt motors what can I say. Fleet vehicle, so when it decides to croak, I will call wrecker. I have thought about outting a piece of black tape over the stinking thing. Oh NO ethanol down here yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts