2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me they are going to open Bolivar from the east, the Ferry is still out of commission but you had to be out by 2:00 in the afternoon?

Anyone else here that? Reason I ask is my dad and step mom are trying to make plans around when they will let people back down there to check, clean up properties or just remove what is left, their option being the last.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Supposedly they are going to start letting people in to "look and leave" Friday. I caught it on 11 news but they didn't give any more info than that. There's another thread here with a link to some additional info. Do a quick search here for Bolivar and it should come up. I think the link is www.guidrynews.com .

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
But, can one drive the entire Peninsula ?

Thanks for the Guidry news article. Apparently the temporary bridge is in place as of today. But does anyone have hard information that the entire highway from High Island to Port Bolivar is driveable? I would hate to show up at High Island and find out I couldnt drive all the way to my place at Port Bolivar. Thanks.
(I have sent an email to guidrynews so maybe they can find out. )

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
"look and leave" for the bolivar peninsula starts tomorrow (friday) at 6am til 4pm.

from what i understand, hwy 87 is not in good shape. i've been told that there are stretches where it's fine, but there are numerous areas where the highway is washed out or damaged.

i would only go over there in a pick-up or suv, and be sure your spare is aired up and your jack is accessible, just in case.

·
Registered
572 Posts
People here were told to bring fix a flat, to wear snake boots, to bring plenty of skeeter dope,to bring plenty of water, and to be prepared to park on 87 and walk to your cabin.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I'm going first thing in the morning. They are supposed to let us in at 6:00 am. Bring I.D. and proof that you are a landowner...recent water and/or electric bill. Another one of those times that I sure am glad I invested in a 4 wheel drive pick up. Will heed fisHRmans advice + 1 case of very cold adult beverages and a box of tissues...

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
bring some tire plugs and a plugger too. If you get a big leak, fix a flat won't help without a plug. There's some good 12 volt air compressors too, that run $60 or so. If you can find one of those, bring it.

·
AKA Catfish
56 Posts
The stretch of Hwy 87 between PA and HI is not passable except during a very low tide. There is very little of the old highway left. And if you cross the fence, you are on private property. Sea Rim Stae Park is also patrolled by game wardens and park rangers, get caught trespassing there and look to be arrested.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I don't think I would try to run the beach from PA to HI alone. Probably pretty tore up and more areas with bottomless mud flats. As I understand it, we can get to Bolivar through HI. Gonna do that PA to HI run on my 4 wheeler later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts