2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some reason I kinda feel like I did.

New galvenized parts as follows:

drop style axel
spindals
leaf springs
mounting hardware
hub & bearings, the oil kind with the plastic seal where you can see the oil.
Labor

Pretty much everything new from the axel to both wheels; not including wheels and rims.

This was on a single axel trailer for a 17ft carolina skiff.

Total walk out price with tax and everything

636.00 + change

McClain Trailers

I appreciate any opions or thoughts, it's probably to late now but it is a long story why I went there.

Mark

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Do you feel good towing your boat now and you would pay anything not to be stranded ont he road with a burned out bearing or broke axle/leafspring? What is it worth to you to not have to try and get a boat back home sitting on the side of the highway?

You got alot of stuff but the labor probably added the major chunk. I told you to do it yourself but like I stated above, peace of mind is worth alot and your time is valuable as well as their labor.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont have the time, or tools to do it myself.
I think they did a great job, but I am just not sure if that price was cool. This is the 1st time I have ever had trailer work done.

The labor was 240$

You are right, I am pulling the rig to South Padre next month with the family, I sure would hate to be stuck somewhere in Kennedy county or something like that.

Or on 172 outside of Ganado with a double blow out.....LOL

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
PS: Your next questions should be "How to take care of it to extend the life of those leafsprings, axle, and hubs?". :)

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
"The labor was 240$" by ROBOWADER

I would've charged you $200 for the job...LOL....JJ

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly...........................................

I have decided to not sell the boat and just keep it. I got to much invested in the darn thing and to be honest I really like the little boat.

So what can I do to extend the life of the parts I just had put on the boat????????

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
So what can I do to extend the life of the parts I just had put on the boat????????

mmmmmmmmmmmmm try not submergin the trailer to launch. that should do the trick... j/k....JJ

·
Borders, language, culture
6,346 Posts
We replaced the exact same stuff on our trailer. Bought everything from McClain. Parts alone ran $298. Did the labor ourselves.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I Feel Ya

I Just Rebuilt My Trailer As Well. 300$ In Parts Was The Damage, I Did The Work My Self. I Went With All Stainless Hardware, New Springs, And New Boards. Lots And Lots Of Grinder Work Followed By Osfo And Brush On Cold Galv. I Had Sportsman Quote Me A Price On Mine And It Was Very Close To What You Paid. There Price Did Not Include The Stainless Hardware.

A Boat Is A Hole In The Water To Throw Money Into!!!! Fb

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Mark, next time you have the boat off the trailer, get 2 cans of Cold Spray Galvanize and spray every new bolt, nut, u-bolt, hubs, every welded section of the axle and anything else that looks like it might rust or corrode.

·
Registered
467 Posts
There is a 15' aluminum boat south of Tampico, Mexico that used to be mine. I left it on the side of a very unhospitible 2 lane jungle highway because of a destroyed leaf spring (2nd one of a very long day). I should have spent a little cash before I left on such a trip. Your money is well spent!

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,591 Posts
You did good now enjoy it. And be sure when you wash the boat you wash under the trailer and inside the wheels as well.

TH

·
Typical Texan
8,415 Posts
I did that same job on mine 2 years ago. I did the work, and the parts sound cheap but add up fast.

$35 for springs X 2

$10 for ubolts (stainless) X 4

$6 for spring to trailer bolts (stainless) X 4

$125 for axle

$ 65 for the type of hubs you got with the bearings and such X 2
Your at $400 in parts already. Some labor and your bill seems about right to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts