2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a study being done to change the way we are taxed on gasoline? Texas and 9 other states are looking at this method. They are talking about charging you for the miles you drive instead of paying your taxes at the pump at the pump. "How in the world can they do that?" you ask. GPS...They will want to imbed a gps in your vehicle so they can tell how many miles you have driven to base their figures on. But this brings up another point...Will they stop there, or will it be another tool to be used by big brother to keep an eye on you? It's bad enough that camers are planted all over the place, but now if this goes thru, they can pinpoint your exact location anytime they want. This kind of gives me the heebee jeebees...LOL Looks like Orwells' 1984 is coming to pass...

Think about the new system. It would make every road a toll road...even if you have a long driveway, you would get taxed for driving your car on it. They can charge you different rates...higher during peak hour traffic, more for SUV's and big rigs, and each area can charge its own rate, plus the benefit of knowing where you are all the time.

The wife threw out the paper, but I think you can find the article on the Chronicles website...Check it out...VIC

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
I'm not sure I see the difference? Either way the more you drive the more you pay? What is the point of putting a GPS in my truck to establish this? Obviously, if I drive more than my neighbor I will have to buy more gas and thus pay more gasoline tax if it's done at the pump. I have not read the article but based on the concept laid out in your post,,,,,,,,,,,,huh???? I can't begin to imagine something like this could even begin to be considered.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
I can imagine the Mayor of Houston sayin'....ya know, revenues are kinda slow right now...maybe I'll charge each person that drives on a roadway within the city limits an extra fee.....

·
Registered
781 Posts
Mileage Fred

Quote Cfred: "What is the point of putting a GPS in my truck to establish this? Obviously, if I drive more than my neighbor I will have to buy more gas and thus pay more gasoline tax if it's done at the pump."

I read something about this a while back. The theory is that all of us would pay the same amount of tax per mile driven. I drive a crew cab 4x4 3/4 ton Chevrolet with a 454. (I can pass everything but a gas station!)
Therefore, I pay more in gasoline tax than most people that drive the same distance or more.

The ******* in me says they'll put a gps in my truck over my dead body, but anybody that drives a GM product with On Star should consider this. They are already tracking your vehicle, and you're paying them to do it. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it certainly leads me to believe that technology is moving in that direction.

Ain't technology grand.........Q

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as VJER. I drive about 120 a day so yes I spend probably more than most people on gas every day. Right now I drive a Ford Ranger so I get pretty good gas mileage but used to drive a crew cab Ford and paid several dollars more on gas then I do now but that was my chose.

Some people might say the GPS is good cause they don't drive much so they won't have to pay as much. But think about this..............There is achance they will charge more per mile for larger vehicles cause they are heavier and do more damage to the road.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Just the start....

imagine how the auto insurance companies will utilize this data.

"Sir, we note you drive on 610 between 290 and 59. As you know that's one of the most conjested roadways in america with lots of accidents. We're going to have to up your insurance premium because you drive in higher risk areas".

"Sir, we know you live in Ft Bend county and previously we rated your insurance on that county's residence. However, your GPS record shows you drive 98% of your mileage in Harris County. Since Harris County has the highest rates in the universe, we must adjust your car insurance premium to properly reflect the risk inherent in your driving."

"Sir, as your medical insurance carrier we note that your vehicle's GPS record shows you spend a lot of time in areas were the EPA says have higher air pollution reports. Accordingly, we must increase your medical premium for the higher risk exposure".

"Greeting from Texas DPS. From your vehicles GPS records we note that your speed on Monday, October 4, 2004 on the Gulf Freeway between FM 517 and FM 518 at 9AM was 71.89887 mph. As this is in excess of the posted 65 mph, attached is your speeding citation. Have a great day! Oh, we now accept credit cards".

etc, etc,etc

I fixing to write my state legislator and tell them that if any more of my tax dollars are spent on this boondobble, they can forgot about my vote next time!

Absurd! Bureaucats gone wild!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Interesting concept

but impractical.

In fact those that drive fuel efficient cars (hippies) would feel the effects of the tax in greater proportion than those that drive trucks (good ol' boys). For that reason alone it would never go into effect. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Here's the article...

from the Chron's archives:

Paper: Houston Chronicle
Date: MON 10/04/04
Section: B
Page: 2
Edition: 3 STAR

ON TWO / TRAFFIC & TRANSIT /States want fuel tax replaced /Fee-based system monitors car and computeschanges

By LUCAS WALL
Staff

PHILADELPHIA - Paying your road taxes in the future might depend more on how much you drive than how much gasoline you pump.

Texas is among a group of states researching how to replace the fuel tax with a fee based on the number of miles traveled - making every road a virtual tollway. Transportation officials from across the world discussed the concept here at last month's annual meetings of the trade groups representing the highway and tollway industries.

Fees for miles traveled would be measured by Global Positioning System receivers embedded in vehicles. The system would track which roads a motorist uses so the virtual tolls could be distributed to the appropriate agency.

Each jurisdiction could set its own per-mile fee. Data would be downloaded from vehicles monthly for billing, or could be transmitted at service stations in lieu of the gas tax .

Jack Lettiere, New Jersey transportation commissioner, said most states are falling short of collecting enough gas-tax revenue to meet mobility needs and they desire a new funding mechanism.

"We're hoping this is a theory that can go into practice," Lettiere said at the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials meeting. "It has a lot of useful benefits."

Researchers love the idea that driving taxes could be adjusted to promote or discourage certain actions. The system could charge more per mile during peak hours, for instance, or add a surcharge for heavy trucks and sport utility vehicles.

Those promoting a mileage-based approach to highway taxes contend driving should be metered and billed according to use .

"Why shouldn't transportation be seen as a utility like electricity, water, etc.?" Hal Worrall, a consultant for Transportation Innovations Inc., asked during a panel at the International Bridge, Tunnel and Toll Road Association conference. "It's perceived as free in America and thus produces a large demand."

David Forkenbrock, director of the University of Iowa Public Policy Center, has been working on a model for four years. His research is funded by 15 states, including Texas, and the Federal Highway Administration.

As more hybrid and alternative-power vehicles are built, Forkenbrock said, gas-tax collections will suffer.

"A tax at the point of purchase is inferior to user charges at the exact point of travel," he said, explaining the growth of toll roads in recent years. Oregon has already tested a mileage-based charge. It starts a pilot project next year with 280 volunteer drivers in Eugene, who will be exempt from fuel taxes in exchange for paying their per-mile assessment.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Reeltor hit the nail on the head. Not only will we pay for the roads, we'll be paying more for our lifestyle as well.. more "tax" on the public....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts