2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a great week in Destin Fl. I left Houston on Monday the 26th with the Fountain in tow. I got into Destin late Monday. I spent Tuesday morning getting the boat set up at Legendary Marine. Legendary is a huge dry stack facility and marina.

I was by myself Tuesday, but I couldn't stand it anymore. I grabbed some ice, squid, and cigar minnows. I left Destin heading offshore at 3pm on a solo trip just to look for some bottom. I ran out about 20 miles to some natural bottom in 240 feet. That's right, 240 feet at a little over 20 nm.

It was a little tricky holding the boat on a spot and fishing at the same time by myself. I fished about 2-3 hours and put some fish on ice.

Tuesdays Catch:

1 Limit of Grouper (5) ---The limit was made up of 1 Red Grouper and 4 Gag Groupers

1 Limit of Red Snapper. All 4 of them were right on the 16 inch line.

I really like the Red Grouper. I didn't have anyone to snap a picture for me offshore, so I hung the Red Grouper from the rocket launcher.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wednesday 6-28-06

Two of us ran out early Wednesday. We left about 5:30 am. The bait boat ran out of live, so we spent about an hour catching live bait near the jetty. We fished wrecks and bottom spots for a mixed bag of fish.

We fished until about noon and ran back in.

Wednesday's catch:

1 Amberjack with a wounded tail
1 Gag Grouper
5 Scamp Grouper
4 Red Snapper
1 Big Beeliner-- they call them Mingos in Destin.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thursday 6-29-06

Thursday I got up early to get bait. I pulled up to the bait boat and got a scoop of minnows. I ran back into the Marina to wait for the afternoon trip.

Steve, Ed, and Ed Jr showed up around lunch time for an afternoon trip. I think we left about 1pm and ran to the bottom that I fished on Tuesday. Well the bite was nothing like Tuesday. Little Edward caught his very 1st Red Snapper and his 1st Grouper. That was exciting watching the little man catch fish. We just fished a couple of hours and ran back in.

Thursday's catch:

10 Red Snapper
3 Scamp Groupers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Friday 6-30-06

On Friday, 3 of us were out sun up to sun down. We started out by getting a scoop of live bait from the bait boat. We ran way out to some natural bottom about 70 miles out. We were fishing depths from 300 to 450 feet catching Snowys, Scamps, and Beeliners. The bite was also a little slow, but we just kept fishing and ended up with a nice box of meat. We ran back inshore to a wreck and picked up a nice Red Snapper and another couple of Scamps. We got back in just before dark. It was alot of work fishing deep, but it was a great day on the water.

Friday's Catch:

1 Almaco Jack
1 Red Snapper
7 Beeliners
4 Scamp Groupers
5 Snowy Groupers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saturday 7-1-06

We slept in on Saturday and left the dock about 8am. We only had a couple of hours to fish so I could make my flight back home. We hit 3 spots and on the 3rd spot right before we had to head in, Steve wanted to make one more drop. I am glad he did because he snuck up on a nice Gag Grouper to top off the morning catch.

Saturday's Catch:

1 Gag Grouper
3 Red Snapper
5 Beeliners

We all had a great time. Destin is so beautiful. It was getting real busy on Saturday. I am going back this Friday to fish 1 more trip on Saturday and bring the boat back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
great photo's and as usual nice boxes of fish. i see that you took the kristal with you. that should have made the deep dropping a whole lot easier. are they towing the boat back or are you leaving it there for the summer?....rick

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deep

mcgolfer said:
great photo's and as usual nice boxes of fish. i see that you took the kristal with you. that should have made the deep dropping a whole lot easier. are they towing the boat back or are you leaving it there for the summer?....rick
Rick,

The Kristal sure did make it easier on the 450 foot spots for the Snowys. I am flying back to Destin this Friday. We will fish Saturday and then I will tow the boat back to Freeport Tx.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
Mike Trautwein said:
Rick,

The Kristal sure did make it easier on the 450 foot spots for the Snowys. I am flying back to Destin this Friday. We will fish Saturday and then I will tow the boat back to Freeport Tx.
Let me know if you need help!!!!!!

oh Yes great report !!!!!

John

·
"FIRED UP" Contender
1,146 Posts
sweet. towing my rig over in 3 weeks..hope there are a few grouper left for me. Feel free to PM some good coords LOL... but really if you have some and don't mind sharing.. thanks..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just back from Destin on Saturday.

Man we killed the fish last week. Want the numbers? I loaded a bunch of numbers for a Garman GPS unit. Give them a try if you you like.
I was fishing with little ones so I tried to stay on top or not too deep for
them. good luck.....

pm me if you want more information.

·
Dis Member
349 Posts
Nice trip, nice fish and smiling fishermen. Best of all you put a smile on a child's face. Unfortunately you probobly have ruined him for life. He will spend all his money on boats, fuel and tackle. His future wife will track you down like an animal.

But keep doing what you're doing.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Direction

Tom Hilton said:
Mike,
Which direction did you head out of Destin?
Tom
Mainly South and Southwest. I don't have much off to the East towards Panama City. I bought your atlas last year but I tore my house up looking for it this year and could not find it. I planned on picking up a new one in Destin, but Half Hitch Tackle didn't have any. I had to work out of my notepad on this trip. Are they still selling them for you?

If not, I will need to buy another one from you.

Mike

·
Registered
858 Posts
Destin

Mike,
Half Hitch has some now, as I sent an order a couple of weeks ago. I'm totally out of the La. Delta to Destin Atlases right now, as the new one is about to go to print. Anyone who has some good fishing pics on the water, feel free to send via email to [email protected] and I will see about inserting them, but do it SOON.

There's alot that has been changed since Hurricanes Ivan and Katrina. Also, there are 500+ new reefs that the Alabama World Championship has placed out there. (There's another 500+ reefs already deployed, but the numbers are not public yet). The Oriskany is positioned just inside the Edge.

I'll shoot you a replacement atlas when they come out in August.

All the best,
Tom Hilton

1 - 20 of 37 Posts