2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pam and one of her girlfriends each bought some Desert Roses about 5-6 years ago and had a bet on whose would bloom first. Pam won ... this is it's second year to bloom. Still waiting on the other one to bloom for the first time.

Pretty cool plants. Gotta work on my macro pics though, first one I've tried.

"I dream of rain
I dream of gardens in the desert sand
I wake in vain
I dream of love as time runs through my hand"
Desert Rose Sting

http://www.flowerpictures.net/adenium/Bob

Attachments

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Bob, that is gorgeous! Where can I get me some?!?

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
PLenty big muchas gracias, mi amigo! My Pam is gonna flip if I can put her on to some of those lovlies!

·
Big Overgrown Galoot
1,061 Posts
Pelican....those desert roses are a neat plant.....got a trunk like a pony-tail palm and branches like a jade tree and great blooms......took a picture with a trout that'll have badhabits avatar laughing at that shrimp.

Attachments

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, that's a beauty! The plant, I mean ... ;) Let's not get BadHabit started on the trout tale again :rotfl: . How long have you had it?

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,077 Posts
Thanks Bob & Pam.

Later,

Jeff

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
i was just over that way today too, wish i had read this before i sat through 6 hours of defensive driving at marios flying pizza very close to there. could have run in there and picked me up one of those, they are really neat! thanks for posting the pictures and info.

trudy

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
EUREKA!! I found 'em, I found'em!!

Never say die, never back down, never give up. To tell the honest truth, after spending the better part of 2 days, and burning over $30.00 worth of gas in search of these beauties I didn't much think they were available in this area at this time. I thought I'd about covered every where from Webster to Belair.

Had an offshore trip planned for today and Pam could see I was in a blue funk over having that trip go belly-up. She said she was gonna go do some runnin' around and did I want to join her. Sometimes, I mean SOME TIMES, I actually zig when I'm 'posed to zig and zag when I'm 'posed to zag,

We wound up in Lowe's, in Pasadena, and when we stepped back into the garden area a lady came up and asked if we were looking for anything in particular. I was just looking at all the plants and had not planned on even bothering about the desert roses any further. But before I knew I was even saying it, I heard "desert roses" come blabbering out of my mouth. She said "sure, right this way."

SURE?

RIGHT THIS WAY?

Yeah right, I thought as we followed her back. Well, you can cut off my legs and call me Shorty, There they were...5 of 'em. Not big and only 2 of 'em had blooms on 'em but I went into shock. Then I thought, yeah, and I bet they are high-dollar due to the fact that NO BODY has any. WRONG!! They were only $5.29 each. We took all 5 of 'em which you can see below.

The lady said that they do well in pots or in the ground. Guess We'll leave 'em in these pots till we come up with a plan, no hurry.

It's these little victories that can make life so sweet sometimes. :)

Attachments

·
2,873 Posts
wow, i am so jealous! i think ill try some other lowe's this afternoon, going to be close anyway. thanks for the tip jack, and congratulations! isnt it funny how you can get this "i want" something in your head and it just sticks there. hummm....seems like that just happened to me with a BOX recently :rolleyes:

trudy

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Good luck Trudy. If you don't find any at the Lowe's near you call all the ones in your general area. Make sure that who EVER you talk to, in person, or on the phone KNOWS what you are talking about. Be relentless.

If I may quote a line form Chief Dan George in the Clint Eastwood movie, The Outlaw Josey Wales, "Endeavor to perservere". A lot of times it will get you what you want when nothing else will.

·
2,873 Posts
I FOUND EM! I FOUND EM! :bounce: went to the lowe's in pearland. the first lady i asked pointed me over the all the regular rose bushes, i knew that wasnt right, so i asked the next lady that walked by. she walked me right over to them. they probably had about 10 of them, i got 3. none of them are blooming yet, but they have the little buds. what did they tell you about how to grow them? this lady said she wanted to warn me about one thing....and i thought uh oh, here we go, mine will probaby die on me sure as everything. she just just said "DONT OVER WATER IT" she said it enough times she just about made a believer out of me LOL. have you heard anything about what care they need? hey, if they just like it dry, i figure i can handle that :D

trudy

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Trudy, We've got one that we've had for several years. The Lowes lady was right about water. They need to dry out completely before you rewater them. They will rot if kept too wet. Also, they will bloom better if slightly potbound. They are best if kept in pots so that you can move them into the house or garage in case of a freeze. They are very tender and will freeze at 32 degrees. They love heat and sun so put it in an appropriate spot. Give it a little Miracle Grow every 7 to 10 days and it will bloom pretty much all summer. Only pest I've ever seen on ours is an ocassional aphid attack.

·
2,873 Posts
with all that said, i now have the perfect place picked out! thanks for all the tips jim!

trudy

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey WJ and allicat, I'm tickled pink (no thong jokes, now) that you guys found some Desert Roses ... looking forward to future pics. On another note, Pam's water lilies are coming into bloom!

p.s. been working too hard, feel like I haven't been on the site in days ... only about 1500 unread posts :)

Bob

Attachments

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Well, I went to the Lowe's in Tomball today to buy some for Mary. I didn't find any, but I didn't have Jack's fortune of having someone walk up and ask me what I was looking for. What is it about men that makes them refuse to ask for help?!!!

I suppose I'll let her just go there and bring some home, and surprise me. Well, there's the answer! So our wive's can surprise us!

Let the catcalls begin!

Sheesh, I'm committing "suicide by typing", it's not a pretty sight!

Guess I'll go fishing tomorrow!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts