2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a garmin 498 gps/depthfinder combo. the depth flashes and reads the inccorect depth when when anchored, underway or at topspeed. i know a lot of machines will not work while at top speed but it has worked before while running up to 20 mph and does nothing now. i think i have a transducer problem but i am not sure. the transducer is making noise (clicking) like it is working but not displaying a correct depth on the gps unit. i know i was in a bout 5 ft of water and it was reading 17ft. went a little ways offshore and know i was in about 65ft and it read 11 ft. and steady flashing. thanks for the help. Hollis

·
fish control my brain
7,710 Posts
That unit is poor when it comes to reading depth, but for the money is the best chartplotter out there ... if you can find it for sale....

Mine did the same thing yours did, reads right when you put it on the boat and eventually stops.

I had some luck when I unplugged the transducer, and re-pluged it.

I also got another transducer from Garmin and it did the same thing as the one on the hull.

I just pulled off a fairly new eagle depth-finder on a used hull I just purchased, it works great.

If your intrested PM me

Skipp

1 - 2 of 2 Posts