2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Certified Bile Spewer
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what "sanctions" might be entailed regarding deferred adjudication on a traffic violation? Are the sanctions standardized or do they vary from county to county? I'm considering requesting DA from a county judge. I'd like to have an idea of what is involved prior to requesting.

My other options are to pay the ticket outright or request completion of a drivers safety course ($103).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
My vast(unfortunately) experience with DA has been the cost of the fine, plus $100 to the court. Good deal because it stays off your record if you don't get another ticket for a year. Or maybe it's 90 days like NE said.

Also, if you run a radar detector and get pulled over hide the dang thing. Dang DPS officer wrote it on the ticket and I couldnt find any Atty. to defend that one LOL!

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
Nose clean for 60- 90 days, Proof of defensive driving taken in the last year. $99 fo the court up front and $56.00 after the time period. That is Brazoria County

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went the Deferred route....costs are relatively the same, whichever you choose. Just dont have to sit through the Driver Safety Bore. But you will be on "probation" for 6 months - no tickets or you pay full price. Deferred does not show up on your insurance.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
by all means take deferred adjudication.. They will likely put you on probation for3-6 months and as long as you dont get another traffic ticket in their jurisdiction, the ticket will be dismissed. and it wont be reported on your insurance. your other two options will affect your driving record..

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
varies from court to court

Houston Municipal costs about $250 total and you have to take the DSC, and no tickets (anywhere) for 180 days

Galveston JP#9 (Bolivar) - pay court fee equivalent to cost of speeding ticket, no DSC, and no tickets in their jurisdiction for 90 days

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
speckle-catcher said:
varies from court to court

Houston Municipal costs about $250 total and you have to take the DSC, and no tickets (anywhere) for 180 days

Galveston JP#9 (Bolivar) - pay court fee equivalent to cost of speeding ticket, no DSC, and no tickets in their jurisdiction for 90 days
If you argue enough with the judge "without going to jail" you can get them to just give you DA for 90 days without costing anything. I did.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Judge Vondra and her assistant were nice enough to set me up with the deferred over the phone - therefore saving me a trip down there for a court appearance.

so I wasn't going to argue too much ;)

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
So, how many lawyers have sent you stuff in the mail??
My wife got one, man, our mailbox was full for weeks.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
I've done it several times. Even if you do get another ticket, they usually take a year or more to show up on your driving record, so when they pull your record after the 90 day probation, it will still be clean. Last I heard, Harris County was like a year behind on reporting tickets to driving records. That could've changed, because I have somehow managed to go three years without getting pulled over now (of course I was in Denver for two of those years!). ;)

That said, if you haven't taken defensive driving in the last 3 years, go that route, because it will reduce your insurance premium by 10% if you complete a defensive driving course.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It definitely sounds like it varies my county and judge. I opted for DA back in the late 90's in College Station. Mine was no tickets in the entire state for 1 year. Man, having that hanging over my head for a year sure sucked, but turned out ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts