2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
It's no suprise that this deer season will be great,with all the rain we had.Check out what Houston Chronicle's Doug Pike wrote 8-5-04 about this Deer Season.Rem.came out with three new rounds. Their loads that light on recoil,in the .270,30-06,and 7Mag.Shows the 7 Mag.with a kick just a little more than the .243
But the 7 Mag is kicking out a 140 grain bullet.Sure wish I could find that handload.Should be better than my pet load with a 120 grain bullet in my 7 Mag light load for my daughter.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
We had as much rain last year and thought that the deer would be great, but it was a really **** poor year in Real County. I hope you're right!

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
We got the rains too late last year. We didn't start getting the rains until May last year. You need to start getting them in April. On our place in Kinney County this is the rain totals for last year and so far this year.

January 03 - .31 inches

February 03 - .52 inches

March 03 - .62 inches

April 03 - .3 inches

May 03 - 7.1 inches

June 03 - 3.0 inches

July 03 â€" 4.77 inches

August 03 â€" 1.02 inches

Sept. 03 â€" 2.54 inches

Oct.03 â€" 3.11 inches

Nov.03 â€" 3.0 - inches

Dec.03 â€" 0.05 inches

January 04 - .87 inches

February 04 - .65 inches

March 04 â€" 3.47 inches

April 04 â€" 4.19 inches

May 04 â€" 1.2 inches

June 04 â€" 3.25 inches

July 04 â€" 1..9 inches

·
Registered
298 Posts
We didn't have any trouble with the size of animals last year just the rain was so late that we had knee deep green grass at Chrsitmas. couldn't see anything. Most bucks were killed while standing up from their bed and had been in gun range of us all along. either that or rattling. None were shot at a feeder.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Rain

We have had record rainfall up here and even more up at my place on the Red River. My friend was down feeding the place last weekend and saw a tremendous Buck still sporting velvet. As soon as I can get up and around again I'm gonna put the scouting camera's back out and see what I got this year. The Coastal-Bermuda and native prarie grasses are green and tall. There should be alot of acorns making feeder hunting awful tough. I never seen a real big buck at a feeder anyway. I like to hunt the trail intersections. Old Mature Bucks around these parts seem to shy away from stands and feeders. When food is scarce, they will hit them at night. It should be an above average year if not an outstanding year up here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts