2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charles Helm said:
Interesting windmill shots there.
I don't do much night photography, so I figured the early rising full moon would be a good place to start messing around. I did a few that were in the 20-30 second exposure range and "painted" the windmill with a spotlight, but I liked these two better.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Looking good...

How did your sensor get so dirty already? Just kidding!!!

Very sharp stuff. Did you use the tripod on the wildlife shots? What type of buck is that in shots 2 & 3? Remember -

Looks like you needed to turn the windmill 90 degrees. Very sharp images as I can see the constellation of Scorpio with the star Antares rclearly right below the tail fin of the windmill. I think I mentioned something about details...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
RustyBrown said:
How did your sensor get so dirty already? Just kidding!!!

Very sharp stuff. Did you use the tripod on the wildlife shots? What type of buck is that in shots 2 & 3? Remember -

Looks like you needed to turn the windmill 90 degrees. Very sharp images as I can see the constellation of Scorpio with the star Antares rclearly right below the tail fin of the windmill. I think I mentioned something about details...
Axis Buck.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great action pic dolphingirl! It's amazing to see just how easily deer can jump a fence. From looking at the picture, I would be willing to guess you were driving when you shot it. That makes it even better, because you were probably slamming on the brakes and shooting the photo at the same time!!!

- Rusty - the shot of the whitetails and the fallow doe (the red one) were taken with a tripod. I was in full "bowhunter" gear - head to toe camo, sitting on a stool about 30 yards from them. Those were shot with my 70-200 f2.8 and a 2x teleconverter (400mm). The axis buck was shot with the same lens minus the doubler (200mm) handheld. These are all the "full-frame" pics and not cropped.

Focal length was sufficient with what I have, but the deer knew I was there and didn't stick around too long once the shutter started to fire. I would really like more lens, just to be able to keep a little more distance between me and the deer and not spook them. They didn't seem to mind me, but that will change in the fall once they start getting shot at.

The windmill pics would definitely be better if it was turned 90 degrees. Unfortunately, it was locked down and a brush line/canyon prevented me from getting the better angle. Both of those photos were shot with a 17-55 f2.8. Exposures were in the 20-30 second range at ISO 100. I'll post one of the "painted" pictures tonight.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's one I "painted" with a spotlight during the exposure. This is kind of neat, but I like the others a little better.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the red doe was a Sika, not a fallow. Some of these exotics get confusing because they have different colors for the same species. We have chocolate, spotted and white fallow deer for example.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Deer

We were headed into to town after the morning hunt and this buck was hot after a doe and I knew he was going to chase her across the road so I grabbed the camera and just snapped and caught part of the outside mirror of the truck. Chief tell Robs I did not even have a gun with me, we were headed to the grocery store!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we were heading to the grocery store when I photographed that Axis buck. What is it with deer coming out during grocery store runs???? It seems like that is the only time the good ones appear!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts