2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the Houston Chronicle classified yesterday and saw a lease member ship for $13,500.00 per member for a South Texas Golden triangle Ranch! I am thinking I will soon not be able to deer hunt in Texas in the near future.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
906 Posts
Yeah it's getting pretty out of hand with all these high fence ranches. It really gives me a bad attutude towards it all. Some idiot who has a ton of money and never hunted can just up and say, " hey, I think I would like to shoot a huge deer." Then he can go pay 20k + and kill a bigger deer than I have ever had a chance at and I have been hunting for 20+ years. Thats why I stay on my low fence lease and strictly bow hunt. I get more satisfaction out of that style of hunting and taking an average deer opposed to the high fence thing. Just my 2 cents. I guess you can sense a little frustration on my part. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
With the cost of a prime lease getting outragous it won't be long and it will be a rich mans sport just like it is in Europe.Then they wonder why the interest in hunting has dropped off the last 10-15 years.By pricing the regular man out of hunting they are helping the antis.You have to respect the man who works hard to be able to pay for the opportunity to take his kids hunting and fishing so they grow up with a love for the outdoors.The way its going now imagine what it will cost when our kids are older..
 

·
Aggiewes
Joined
·
116 Posts
If it keeps rising as you say and becomes a rich man only sport (who knows), there will be an economic struggle for those manufacturers whose target audience is not the rich... This will be interesting (and sad) to watch.
 

·
Too far from the ocean ...
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
Well, economics is an interesting thing. The prices will keep going up until the market can't or won't pay for it. At $13k, I can go to Africa. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather go to Africa than shoot a feed-lot whitetail any day. Of course, there are many who feel differently about things than I do, and they might very well find value in a $13k whitetail.

That said, there will never be a huge market for the $13k whitetail; by it's very price, you end up with a very limited number of possible customers.

People criticize European hunting for it's expense and elitism, but the hunters willingness to pay outrageous money to hunt is all that's kept game in Europe from being totally exterminated by encroaching development.

All that said, I wish that I could find a great deer lease for cheap, just like everyone else.

Syncerus
 

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
Joined
·
2,299 Posts
Less than a $500 license for a week of hunting on more land than you could ever cover in your lifetime in Colorado.....
 

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
Joined
·
23,543 Posts
As was said, the high prices will stay high or go higher as long as there are those willing to pay the price. There is a larger market for South Texas deer than you would think and that's easy to figure...have you tried to find an opening on a lease in South Texas lately that isn't already full? Even those charging 4 figures are having no problems filling up.

But it's the land owner's right to charge whatever he can get to lease his property and I can't argue that. It's also the hunter's right to refuse to pay. If everyone sat out a year in boycott of the high prices we'd see a lowering of lease prices next year. But noooo, can't miss a deer season. Problem right now is there are way too many people with too much money who don't bat an eye at paying those high prices so they do.

Oh well, glad we own our land. Jackson County ain't South Texas but we sure have fun.

TH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,065 Posts
Trouthunter said:
As was said, the high prices will stay high or go higher as long as there are those willing to pay the price. There is a larger market for South Texas deer than you would think and that's easy to figure...have you tried to find an opening on a lease in South Texas lately that isn't already full? Even those charging 4 figures are having no problems filling up.

But it's the land owner's right to charge whatever he can get to lease his property and I can't argue that. It's also the hunter's right to refuse to pay. If everyone sat out a year in boycott of the high prices we'd see a lowering of lease prices next year. But noooo, can't miss a deer season. Problem right now is there are way too many people with too much money who don't bat an eye at paying those high prices so they do.

Oh well, glad we own our land. Jackson County ain't South Texas but we sure have fun.

TH
I don't think the main issue are guys like us that happen to have 10 or 15 grand to spend on a deer lease, it's guys like EXXON and Valero, and 100's of other companies that use a over priced deer lease as a [email protected]#@# right off on their taxes under "customer entertainment".

granted, there are a few lucky folks out there that are fortunate enough for a south texas deer lease price to never be a problem paying....

I agree with the comment about going to africa though....why pay the same for a protein fed, genetically altered freak, when you can go to africa and shoot realistic examples (PLURAL EXAMPLES) of wildlife...that's actually WILD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,118 Posts
Kyle 1974 said:
I agree with the comment about going to africa though....why pay the same for a protein fed, genetically altered freak, when you can go to africa and shoot realistic examples (PLURAL EXAMPLES) of wildlife...that's actually WILD
There are plenty of places in Africa with high fences and a very active market in wildlife. For the money, I would rather go back to Africa but always do the research to be sure it is the hunt you want. There are still lots and lots of wild places to go in Africa, just like there are lots of commercial fenced operations there, some of which feature game that is not native to the area. I have even heard of places buying game the week before and turning it loose to be hunted - but I have not seen this myself so take it for what it is worth. Buyer beware in Africa or Texas!
 

·
Big Shot Spicy Man
Joined
·
221 Posts
no lease...

this is my son, deer killed on public land in east Texas last year, $15 permit.....hard hunting, no 4 wheelers, no permanent stands, not very attractive to "moneyed" hunters...but...a very nice deer......

you don't have to have a lease to hunt.....
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,118 Posts
jferrell1211 said:
this is my son, deer killed on public land in east Texas last year, $15 permit.....hard hunting, no 4 wheelers, no permanent stands, not very attractive to "moneyed" hunters...but...a very nice deer......

you don't have to have a lease to hunt.....
Very nice buck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Great Post jferrell211. You are correct, there are lots of public places to hunt that produce.

But man it is pricey to get a on a decent lease.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
574 Posts
There are plenty of affordable leases available in Texas. You've just gotta know where to look and be quick to act. Hesitate and it will be leased by someone else. $13,000 leases are the exception, not the rule.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
15,099 Posts
jferrell1211 said:
exactly why we hunt public lands....
Thats alot easier to do when you live near the public land.
Of course ya'll are probably good hunters and that helps alot.
That is one hell of an east texas deer..........I'm very impressed and I'm not impressed easily.................congrats
 

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
Joined
·
21,165 Posts
Nice jferrell!!! Awesome deer and I agree with you 100%.

IMO, it's sour grapes if you think you should be able to hunt on a trophy private ranch for cheaper than the land owner wants to sell his leasing rights for and people are willing to pay. If you can't hunt South Texas, go to central, north, east. Because you can't hunt record book deer or agree on a high fence means the end of hunting? Sour grapes.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
15,099 Posts
DeerTexas said:
There are plenty of affordable leases available in Texas. You've just gotta know where to look and be quick to act. Hesitate and it will be leased by someone else. $13,000 leases are the exception, not the rule.
The problem with the majority of the once affordable leases in texas is that every local boy in each area is now a lease broker.He leases it for $1 an acre then turns around and subs it for 10 an acre.
Although I know that some folks handle their own leasing.
 

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
Joined
·
2,299 Posts
Hunting has also become way too much of a "mine is bigger than yours" sport. Hunting to me is way more about time outdoors, and challenging yourself to outwit the animal you are after. Hunting has placed too much importance on the end result, and what you hang on the wall, and not about the hunting...that is what it is called after all. The experience has more or less become a non-issue. I am not saying it is wrong to go shoot a huge deer or anything, but we have really taken the hunting out of hunting. We have a little place out in the hill country, and i will work all seaosn, hoping for a ~120 8 pt. That is about the best we will see, and that is a true trophy that anyone should be very proud of, because of the hunting it took.

Sorry, I know this has been said about a bazillion times, but i just had too......
 

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
Joined
·
21,165 Posts
deebo said:
Sorry, I know this has been said about a bazillion times, but i just had too......
Ha! me too.. I usually post nothing on these topics anymore but all I see when I read the griping is someone with further issues than hunting itself... can't have the pie in the sky so they criticize. Work your arse off to achieve it then one day or die trying.. that's my motto. I aint asking for anyone to give up anything for my lacking (i.e. lease price is to high for my budget, you should charge less).
 
1 - 20 of 142 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top