2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a deer lease for the 2022 season and beyond. Lease we have been on the last 7 years, the property is now up for sale. We have a great group of hunters (5-8, possibly more) that have been friends growing up and hunting together for years. We have blinds, feeders, ranch vehicles, pens, etc.

Looking for something in the 5k -6K or less range that has WT, Turkey, Dove, and some exotics. A camp house would be nice, but not required. Most of us are out of the Houston area and traveled north of Uvalde for our last lease, so distance is not too much of an issue.

Just wanted to put some feelers out and see if any of our OB family has or knows of a lease that may be available for 2022 and beyond.

DB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for a deer lease for the 2022 season and beyond. Lease we have been on the last 7 years, the property is now up for sale. We have a great group of hunters (5-8, possibly more) that have been friends growing up and hunting together for years. We have blinds, feeders, ranch vehicles, pens, etc.

Looking for something in the 5k -6K or less range that has WT, Turkey, Dove, and some exotics. A camp house would be nice, but not required. Most of us are out of the Houston area and traveled north of Uvalde for our last lease, so distance is not too much of an issue.

Just wanted to put some feelers out and see if any of our OB family has or knows of a lease that may be available for 2022 and beyond.

DB
4 spots available($5,000 per spot) for 2200 acres. 9 spots total. Has a house, additional 1 room cabin and walk-in cooler. Property is MLD, allowed 1 trophy, 1 management/cull, 2 does and 1 exotic(axis). Each person has their own area, no community stands. Taken numerous 140’s last 2 years and a 160 this year.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, I'm moving to Texas from Western NY, and have hunted both NY and PA for deer and turkey for 46 years. This Texas hunting is ridiculously expensive!!! I'm used to thousands of acres of public land for free, and a few landowners that don't post their property. Growing up, nobody posted. It's much worse now, as far as posted land though. From what I'm hearing, in TX, I will only be able to hunt on the 14 acres we bought. No way I can afford a $5000 deer lease, or $500 for one day of hunting, and then be forced to sit in a particular stand or shoot what's allowed. I like freedom! Stand hunting, still hunting, driving deer out my nephrews and stuff. And hunting over a feeder? This is going to much different. Of course up here we hunt near crop Fields, but they are many acres, sometimes 50 acres or more. Hopefully I will be able to continue hunting. Looks like competition for leases is fierce, and this drives up cost. I don't blame landowners, of course, taxes are high. Garry.

·
Play Deep
3,710 Posts
Wow, I'm moving to Texas from Western NY, and have hunted both NY and PA for deer and turkey for 46 years. This Texas hunting is ridiculously expensive!!! I'm used to thousands of acres of public land for free, and a few landowners that don't post their property. Growing up, nobody posted. It's much worse now, but from what I'm hearing, I will only be able to hunt on the 14 acres we bought. No way I can afford a $5000 deer lease, or $500 for one day of hunting, and then be forced to sit in a particular stand or shoot what's allowed. I like freedom! Stand hunting, still hunting, etc. And hunting over a feeder? This is going to much different. Hopefully I will be able to continue hunting. Garry.
[/QUOTE

Welcome to Texas

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, I'm moving to Texas from Western NY, and have hunted both NY and PA for deer and turkey for 46 years. This Texas hunting is ridiculously expensive!!! I'm used to thousands of acres of public land for free, and a few landowners that don't post their property. Growing up, nobody posted. It's much worse now, as far as posted land though. From what I'm hearing, in TX, I will only be able to hunt on the 14 acres we bought. No way I can afford a $5000 deer lease, or $500 for one day of hunting, and then be forced to sit in a particular stand or shoot what's allowed. I like freedom! Stand hunting, still hunting, driving deer out my nephrews and stuff. And hunting over a feeder? This is going to much different. Of course up here we hunt near crop Fields, but they are many acres, sometimes 50 acres or more. Hopefully I will be able to continue hunting. Looks like competition for leases is fierce, and this drives up cost. I don't blame landowners, of course, taxes are high. Garry.
There is much public land available to hunt. I hunt mostly public lands (since few years back got tired of what I call lease politics). Gotten way too expensive, our next generation hunters will suffer greatly. Not everyone has $$$ for those type lease. Heck for $5000 I can buy cows and get more meat for my $$$. So how can I teach son/daughter, grandchildren how to hunt...?
What will future hold for hunting

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is much public land available to hunt. I hunt mostly public lands (since few years back got tired of what I call lease politics). Gotten way too expensive, our next generation hunters will suffer greatly. Not everyone has $$$ for those type lease. Heck for $5000 I can buy cows and get more meat for my $$$. So how can I teach son/daughter, grandchildren how to hunt...?
What will future hold for hunting
I will be keeping the 46 year tradition going and I will return to hunt pennsylvania every year, but sadly we list my Dad at 84 yrs old, in October, and he was a big part of it. I'll try some public Texas land as long as there's not a hassle and beuracracy and hoops to jump through.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will be keeping the 46 year tradition going and I will return to hunt pennsylvania every year, but sadly we list my Dad at 84 yrs old, in October, and he was a big part of it. I'll try some public Texas land as long as there's not a hassle and beuracracy and hoops to jump through.
Texas has annual permit$48 that gets you access to all public lands in Texas...depending on how far you want to go. Also free permit for 'Big Thicket Forest ' Google that. I've hunted it past 11yrs. Just get away from close walking in hunters. Pics are from Big Thicket area

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts