2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one used a deer mix that brings the deer in good? I know that they sell stuff you can mix with corn and some that you just spread on the ground. I used the mineral blocks and they are ok. Would like to see other's opinion.

Thanks Redfish Bob

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Treats

Molasses-Peanuts-Peanut Hay-Pears-Pure Mexican Vanilla Sprayed on Corn. All the above are great. They love crunchy Jiffy Peanut Butter too!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Try using a bail of alfalfa, I've been doing it for some time now and the deer walk past the corn to get to the bail. Leave the bail wired togehther and it will last longer.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
cj9271 said:
Try using a bail of alfalfa, I've been doing it for some time now and the deer walk past the corn to get to the bail. Leave the bail wired togehther and it will last longer.
CJ, what part of the country are you doing this in? I've never heard that, but, it sounds interesting.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The alfalfa works great as long as there are no cows on a place. I've seen cows tear down a feeder pen to get to the alfalfa hay because it has such a strong smell. We use Horn corn or corn with roasted soybeans religously on our place. It smells similar to peanut butter and the deer will find it within hours where corn sometimes takes days.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where?

cj9271 said:
Where can I find some of this alfalfa? Sounds like it would work. The way I see it when it comes to bow hunting you can't go to far.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Palerider, I hunt 35 miles north of brackettville in edwards county on the kickapoo ranch and the deer and elk love the alfalfa, they will eat a bale a week.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Thanks CJ:

I'm gonna try it. Can't hurt. I have a feeder pen and the cows are on a rotation that has them away from me for now. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I'll second what buzz said. Don't know about the rice but Beast feast mixed with corn and hand tossed or mixed in a feeder. First hunt of the year on a new place. Threw out corn and Feast Fri night, hard rain Sat am, threw out a gallon bag when I got in my stand. Had 5 does,2 fawns,and 2 bucks within 35 yds tearing it up when I took one of the does. All the deer came back to the corn before I had time to get down. Had to sit till dark and throw a water bottle at them to get them to leave. This was in Crockett with acorns all over the ground Oct 2nd this yr. You can get it a Academy/Walmart.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
I tried some hawg wild this past weekend. within 5 minutes of putting it out I had a young 8pt come in to check it out. I guess the sweet smell is what got him. He will be a nice one in a couple of years. I knew that the hawg wild worked great on the hogs, but had never tried it for a deer attractant.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Deer cane mixed with 1 liter Red Soda water and box of brown sugar........or just plain old morton's grazing salt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts