2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offshore fishing for several years now, but have never had a boat to go deep. All of my experience has been of the king/ling/snapper variety inside 25 miles or so. With the new boat, I am looking to head to some of the deeper structure, especially Tequila and the Flower Gardens. What should I expect when I get there? What about tying up at the rigs for an over-nighter? What is the drill for tuna etc. when you arrive? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd keep on with what you're doing now. Stick with what you're good at and ride out the season getting to know that new boat.

Depends on your range and your burn. I'd put some time into knowing what your motors are going to burn on a good day, and a bad day. Then I would start making my way out into the deep. If you did an overnighter - I'd buddy up with someone first time around.

Action is good in those areas - trolling and jigging are ususally the M.O

·
Site Sponsor
250 Posts
I'd try to always buddy boat if possible.

I have not had difficulty tying up to sleep, but I prefer to drift while fishing.

As above, jigging with diamond jig, or trolling for tuna. Jig at night. Best bite seems to be from dark till about 11 or midnight. Again from about 4 till daylight.

We troll with squid chains, bird in front of ballyhoo, and islanders. Also generally at least one big bait in the spread and a stretch18.

I hope to be out there after July 4th.

Maybe we can hookup then. I fish out of Freeport.

Mike

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Welcome Aboard Bucktail! I second getting intimate with the new ride (btw what is it?). But if you have comfortable range and really itching to go I suggest getting someone with overnight experience as part of your crew. There are lots of good candidates here who are more than willing to pay their way. Just post up that you need crew.

Trolling during daylight 8kt-11kt with a stretch18 or 2 and 2-3 surface baits 6"-10" (I have not trolled at night yet but I bet when the fish are on top it will produce)

Jigging from sunset til bits stops. Keep eye on depth finder to locate bait (usually100'-250' deep) and try to yoyo your 4oz-8oz diamond jig in strike zone. Some guys use line counter reels with 50# spectra line and 5'-10' mono leader.

Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the sound advice. I think a last summer run after I have a few more trips under my belt with the new boat is in order. I am running a 26' Triton center console ("Yellow Alert") with 200 Yamahas and a 205 gallon tank. Range should not be a problem, but I buddy boating sure seems like the way to go.

Scott

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
if you are a hardcore fisherman and want bigger fish then range will be a problem eventually. by the way welcome to the board. we can always use another boater and boat. now lets go fishing....rick

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i hate the long boat rides but the fishing away from the crowds is truly worth the expense and aggravation. i would love to have the fishing they have out of venice as close off the texas coast. we don't so i will have to continue to make the long hauls to expierence the type of fishing i enjoy...rick

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I just wish there was an easy, comfortable, and safe way to add 40-50 gallons of fuel on deck to extend my range. I can do 50 miles safely with plenty of reserve but another 40-50 gallons would get me out to 75 miles easily.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,153 Posts
Look here Valkyrie

Location: Miami, FL I have an ATL pillow tank that has been used for gas on extended range trips. This tank has a 100 gallon capacity & is in excellent condition. I don't know how to post a picture so please send an e-mail to [email protected] for pictures. Cost is $589 new & I will sell for $375.
55" x 53"

http://www.atlinc.com/Seaflex.pdf

this ad taken of THE HULL TRUTH

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i saw the bladder a couple of days ago and i need to go down to my boat and see if i have the space on my deck to allow it to lay flat. that is a great price for the bladder if it is in good shape. by the way he lowered his price to 350 but i don't know how much it will cost to get it shipped....rick

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
mcgolfer said:
i hate the long boat rides but the fishing away from the crowds is truly worth the expense and aggravation. i would love to have the fishing they have out of venice as close off the texas coast. we don't so i will have to continue to make the long hauls to expierence the type of fishing i enjoy...rick
Mcgolfer,

Why did you choose fishing off the Texas coast vs. off the Louisiana coast?

The trip from OK City to New Orleans is roughly 700 miles where a trip from OK City to Freeport is roughly 500 miles but the trade off would be the boat ride to the fishing grounds.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading your posts about fishing off the TEXAS coast. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
venice is one of the best fishing destinations in the world. the town of venice and the area around it are not a place i care to every stay in or near again. no offense intended but i can spend my dollars in an area where they apreciate my business...rick

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I suppos I'm a little paranoid but I can't imagine 100 gallon pillow tank in my cockpit (24 foot boat). Besides that's just too big for me. I'd like to have about 5 or 6 containers each holding 6 gallons and the containers would collapse and fold up after use, haven't seen such a product. I don't mind a couple of extra plastic fuel cans but I hate the clutter of empty cans. I guess this thread got hi-jacked and I offer my apologies to the originator.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
valkyrie
that same company makes a 50 gallon bladder that would work better on your boat. i think the 100 gallon bladder won't work on my boat but 2 50 gallon bladders may do the trick. i have a baitwell in the center of my transom and may have to fit the bladders on each side....rick

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Valkyrie said:
I'd like to have about 5 or 6 containers each holding 6 gallons and the containers would collapse and fold up after use, haven't seen such a product. I don't mind a couple of extra plastic fuel cans but I hate the clutter of empty cans. I guess this thread got hi-jacked and I offer my apologies to the originator.
Hey Bill If you topped off the tanks after running to the fishing grounds you could bungie the tanks to the bow rails and keep the out of the way. But they don't look pretty.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Newman, I think I'll try that in late August or September, or maybe a 50 gallon pillowtank if I could actually see one used. I'm retiring this month and moving to Aransas Pass the end of July. My life is pretty hectic right now and I occasionally panic over whether I can afford to retire but its too late now. I may need a fishing buddy that runs a gas station to be able to fish as often as I would like to.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have never used them, but I have seen the fuel bladders on boats in the past. I have been told they are easily folded and stored after reaching your destination. You might look into it.

Pope

1 - 20 of 21 Posts