2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the site so I apologize if this has been discussed but does anyone have good experience and suggestions for deep water dropping for tiles and barrelfish out of Port Aransas, TX or Packery Channel?? Obviously I would need to get to the shelf for the deeper waters, but is that type of fishing even productive around here or would I be wasting gas!!? lol any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, you have a great shot at catching them out of there. You would need a "spot" though. It could be a waste of time if you just randomly drop on the shelf. Out of port A I would go to one of the big salt domes that are on the shelf, like Dutra or the dumps. I would use an electric reel too. If you don't have an electric reel I wouldn't do it.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, you have a great shot at catching them out of there. You would need a "spot" though. It could be a waste of time if you just randomly drop on the shelf. Out of port A I would go to one of the big salt domes that are on the shelf, like Dutra or the dumps. I would use an electric reel too. If you don't have an electric reel I wouldn't do it.....
Thanks rolifzon, I do have an electric reel so I'm itching to give it a try. How about Colt 45, do you know anything about that spot? Is there a rig there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks rolifzon, I do have an electric reel so I'm itching to give it a try. How about Colt 45, do you know anything about that spot? Is there a rig there?
Yes, colt 45 would be great. That is one of those salt domes I was mentioning. There is not a rig out there. But you don't need a rig for tile fishing so you will be fine. Just go to colt 45 and look for big changes in the bottom(cliffs, sharp uprisings, etc.) and ideally you would want to be marking some bait on bottom. There are definitely tile fish at colt 45. Just try a bunch of different spots around there and you will find them...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, colt 45 would be great. That is one of those salt domes I was mentioning. There is not a rig out there. But you don't need a rig for tile fishing so you will be fine. Just go to colt 45 and look for big changes in the bottom(cliffs, sharp uprisings, etc.) and ideally you would want to be marking some bait on bottom. There are definitely tile fish at colt 45. Just try a bunch of different spots around there and you will find them...
Thanks rolifzon, I really appreciate it! I've been wanting to try that type of fishing for a while and wanted to make sure i didn't go all that way for a really small chance in catching anything. Obviously I'll try to fish for other species while out there as well. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Went out this weekend and found another great golden tile spot. Either I am super lucky or there are a ton of them out there. They were on the continental shelf in 850 to 900 ft of water. Shift your sounder down to the last couple hundred feet. Drive slowly. Be looking for greenish blue fuzz on the sounder coming up from the bottom approx 50 feet. Drop there. Fished colt quite a bit. Dropped for swords there but never tiles. Its deep. Most of it 1600ft or more. The spike comes up another 150 but you can get hung pretty easy in that area if your on the bottom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went out this weekend and found another great golden tile spot. Either I am super lucky or there are a ton of them out there. They were on the continental shelf in 850 to 900 ft of water. Shift your sounder down to the last couple hundred feet. Drive slowly. Be looking for greenish blue fuzz on the sounder coming up from the bottom approx 50 feet. Drop there. Fished colt quite a bit. Dropped for swords there but never tiles. Its deep. Most of it 1600ft or more. The spike comes up another 150 but you can get hung pretty easy in that area if your on the bottom.
Good input DragAddition, thanks. At 850 to 900 ft were you positioned somewhere between Ranzells and Colt? Looks like about half way between those two is where the continental shelf really starts to drop off. Have you had luck with any other pelagics on Colt besides Swords, like tuna, sailfish or marlin?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good input DragAddition, thanks. At 850 to 900 ft were you positioned somewhere between Ranzells and Colt? Looks like about half way between those two is where the continental shelf really starts to drop off. Have you had luck with any other pelagics on Colt besides Swords, like tuna, sailfish or marlin?
This weekend I was way down south. But I have caught them inshore and a little south of there. Also around 900 to 1100 feet deep. I have not fished north of colt and inshore towards ranzels. But I am sure there are tiles there too. Very similar to the area south of there we catch them. We have caught tuna, marlin, wahoo, and sails at colt. One day we were there and came across a large whaleshark covered up in blackfin. But on other days fished it hard and crickets. You know how that goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey everyone, thought I would just follow up on this thread. Went out of Packery on Sat 10-9-2021 to try first deep drop. First stop was Anthill, rigs are gone. I hadn't been there in years so this was news to me (thanks a lot Obama). Didn't even fish there as I wasn't showing anything on sonar. Headed out about 68 miles in line with Colt45 to 1000' depth. Dropped 3 squid on deep drop rig and waited. Didn't even know I had anything until we reeled up two golden tiles! Dropped two more times and caught two more golden's in same spot! This was just a random spot out there at 1000' on the shelf! Either we are really lucky or there are millions of tiles down there (as some else mentioned on this thread). We moved on to weather buoy, and nothing but sharks there. Moved onto Ranzel's big rock and only caught red snapper. Didn't fish buoy or Ranzels very hard as was getting late in the day. Should have spend more time deep dropping, that was most productive. Overall, extremely excited to have caught targeted tilefish as planned!
Fish Fin Ray-finned fish Fish products Tail
Food Window Ingredient Seafood Fish
Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Afterglow

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hey everyone, thought I would just follow up on this thread. Went out of Packery on Sat 10-9-2021 to try first deep drop. First stop was Anthill, rigs are gone. I hadn't been there in years so this was news to me (thanks a lot Obama). Didn't even fish there as I wasn't showing anything on sonar. Headed out about 68 miles in line with Colt45 to 1000' depth. Dropped 3 squid on deep drop rig and waited. Didn't even know I had anything until we reeled up two golden tiles! Dropped two more times and caught two more golden's in same spot! This was just a random spot out there at 1000' on the shelf! Either we are really lucky or there are millions of tiles down there (as some else mentioned on this thread). We moved on to weather buoy, and nothing but sharks there. Moved onto Ranzel's big rock and only caught red snapper. Didn't fish buoy or Ranzels very hard as was getting late in the day. Should have spend more time deep dropping, that was most productive. Overall, extremely excited to have caught targeted tilefish as planned!
View attachment 4596144 View attachment 4596145 View attachment 4596146
Congrats! That’s some good dinner you got there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congrats on the tiles. Last weekend we were in the area so I did a few more drops for some groceries. I took a good screenshot of the sounder. With white line on you can easily tell your over a soft muddy bottom. Low frequency 1KW at 98% gain. Range down to the bottom 50 feet. The change in the white line thickness halfway was due to me zooming out a bit.

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Organism Plot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats on the tiles. Last weekend we were in the area so I did a few more drops for some groceries. I took a good screenshot of the sounder. With white line on you can easily tell your over a soft muddy bottom. Low frequency 1KW at 98% gain. Range down to the bottom 50 feet. The change in the white line thickness halfway was due to me zooming out a bit.

View attachment 4596569
That's awesome thanks. What type of transducer are you using? I've got an airmar B175M and it was doing good until about 1200'. then at about 1400' it was even picking up bottom signal depth even with the lowest frequency I could set it to which was only 85kHz. Supposed to be good down to 2000' but I guess water conditions, etc. play a part in that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's awesome thanks. What type of transducer are you using? I've got an airmar B175M and it was doing good until about 1200'. then at about 1400' it was even picking up bottom signal depth even with the lowest frequency I could set it to which was only 85kHz. Supposed to be good down to 2000' but I guess water conditions, etc. play a part in that.
its a 1KW b275LHW - Low frequency goes down to 42khz. I had a b175M on a previous boat and your right about the capabilities. With a low frequency the like the one i have you can mark bottom at over 3000ft. I was basically maxed out to get the detail in the pic above.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You hand cranking or do you have an electric reel? I'm excited to learn about deep dropping

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You hand cranking or do you have an electric reel? I'm excited to learn about deep dropping

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Definitely need electric reel. I have a Daiwa Tanacom 1000 with 80lb braid, about 2,500' will fit on this reel. I just use a 12v motorcycle battery to power it and it lasts all day. You could hand crank if you wanted a workout! lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a couple of electrics. If its something new and you dont want to break the bank check out the fishwinch. Used one of their lower end units for years on tiles and its been great. Not quite as fast as an Beastmaster or LP but gets the job done. I have my eye on that Banax 1500. Looks like a good value at about 1500$. Fishwinch entry levels are under 400$ if I remember right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts