2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to try out deep dropping. My home port is Freeport, Tx. Any, advise on depths or what to look for? I have done some research, but first hand knowledge from anglers that have done it is always better. I’m hoping to target tile fish, grouper and maybe try sword fishing.

·
Registered
27ft Seahunt Gamefish 27
3,527 Posts
Tile fish like mud bottoms in 650-1200 feet of water. Look for the back sides of hills/humps. It really helps to have a transducer which can see these sorts of bottom changes however I use CMAP reveal which gives me a 3D view of the bottom. I use a tilefish rig with 5 hooks and put a deep drop light at the top. I also attach a 1-2lb weight at the top and, depending on current, a 5-12lb deep drop weight at the bottom. Squid is my bait of choice and I always make sure the whole leader is dragging across the bottom on the drift. It's a VERY subtle bite...but when you get one, reel up a few feet and drop it back down...many times a fighting fish will attract others.

·
Former 300x / Blue Fury
37 Posts
you can catch tiles / barrels shallower than 950 but typically they will be smaller. I have a great spot in about 1000-1050 which we do well at consistently. I haven't had much luck with deep water grouper so I can't help you there. Our halloween overnighter, caught some nice YFT and 25 tiles in about 2-3 hours.

I caught my first sword in January. It was pretty cool and we were tight really quick!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can catch tiles / barrels shallower than 950 but typically they will be smaller. I have a great spot in about 1000-1050 which we do well at consistently. I haven't had much luck with deep water grouper so I can't help you there. Our halloween overnighter, caught some nice YFT and 25 tiles in about 2-3 hours.

Fantastic trip. Thank you for the information. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't be afraid to make long drifts to find the fish, mark the spots where you catch one and try it again! Jigging can also be really effective, I've hauled up more tiles jigging then the electric reels my last few trips =)
Thank you for the tip. I appreciate it.
What kind of boat are you running?
31 Sea Hunter

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like others on this post have mentioned, the golden tiles like depths 900-1000 ft. I head to that depth and look for gaps in bathymetric contours that indicate a small shelf on the steeper slope. Make a rig with three or more circle hooks, 2-3lb weight at the bottom and flashing light at top. I use squid. Drop down to bottom, drink a beer and bring it up. Should be that easy! You will not know you have a fish on until you start bringing it up and see the drag or pole jerking. Very hard to tell when they actually bite. Good luck!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Lots of great information on here from everyone. Come by and see us if you are in the Houston area. We have everything to meet your deep drop needs and would be more than happy to walk you through all the gear and tactics for deep dropping. Our shop is just south of Houston in Friendswood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like others on this post have mentioned, the golden tiles like depths 900-1000 ft. I head to that depth and look for gaps in bathymetric contours that indicate a small shelf on the steeper slope. Make a rig with three or more circle hooks, 2-3lb weight at the bottom and flashing light at top. I use squid. Drop down to bottom, drink a beer and bring it up. Should be that easy! You will not know you have a fish on until you start bringing it up and see the drag or pole jerking. Very hard to tell when they actually bite. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the tips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking to try out deep dropping. My home port is Freeport, Tx. Any, advise on depths or what to look for? I have done some research, but first hand knowledge from anglers that have done it is always better. I’m hoping to target tile fish, grouper and maybe try sword fishing.
Hey if you need someone to show you the ropes or a fishing buddy give me a shout 409 293 9422 I can show you how to do all the above and don’t mind sharing the knowledge I have learned the hardway by putting time in. I fish anywhere from Venice to Sargent primarily Sabine to Sargent on my sled “insufficient funds”. Name is Marcus

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Squid for bait and the #1 rule: No light no bite. That's no joke. I was deep dropping for tiles long ago and learned from one of the best.

If they are there and you have multiple lines down with one not getting bites, might as well reel it up and check your light. And yes as civil fisher said, it's that easy when you find them. They are everywhere. Just have to put int the time.

Jigging works well too. Just make sure you have fluorescent ones. It has since fallen but among the few state records have/had, my Queen Snapper came in 1200' on a squid tipped jig. Heck, I even recall that being on a non electric conventional rod/reel.

The other suggestion I would make is to get off the beaten path. Hot spots on the way to the deep water rigs get dropped on constantly. Head further east along the shelf and there is some really good deep dropping for Yellow Edge, Tiles, Barrel Fish, Queen Snapper, etc. Dont be afraid to go deeper too. Seen lots of stuff 1100'+

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I real
Squid for bait and the #1 rule: No light no bite. That's no joke. I was deep dropping for tiles long ago and learned from one of the best. If they are there and you have multiple lines down with one not getting bites, might as well reel it up and check your light. And yes as civil fisher said, it's that easy when you find them. They are everywhere. Just have to put int the time. Jigging works well too. Just make sure you have fluorescent ones. It has since fallen but among the few state records have/had, my Queen Snapper came in 1200' on a squid tipped jig. Heck, I even recall that being on a non electric conventional rod/reel. The other suggestion I would make is to get off the beaten path. Hot spots on the way to the deep water rigs get dropped on constantly. Head further east along the shelf and there is some really good deep dropping for Yellow Edge, Tiles, Barrel Fish, Queen Snapper, etc. Dont be afraid to go deeper too. Seen lots of stuff 1100'+
l appreciate the knowledge. I will definitely use these tactics when I’m fishing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts