2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this was our first attempt at daytime sword dropping. We have done mucho research and taken many tips from many individuals who are smarter in the topic than we are. With a wealth of knowledge and a cat full of fuel we decided to take advantage of the weather window this weekend... and what a window - reefcast definitely was spot on for this one! Which should not surprise anybody, but for some reason it must because we were the only vehicle in the surf side parking lot at 2:00 a.m. sunday morning and same at 8:30 sunday night! We loaded up and headed for the sword grounds stopping on the way to make bait - this meant quickly jigging up 4 or 5 bft. After that we trolled our way towards the sword area and managed another baitfish - a small cuda. The current was very very light, almost too light in my opinion. We set up in 1000' of water and dropped down our first rig up with a dual hooked strip of tuna for bait. Our methods mimick those described by bouncer's video on youtube... We quickly learned that the 10lb aluminum pipe filled with cement weights were waaay too heavy in this case, but managed to make them work, just being very careful not to break them off dropping down. Our first drop we notice in short order the rod acting differently than wave action, so we put the 80W in low gear and start cranking. 10 mins later we remove the spreader bar and look out to see a golden tile floating on the hook 100' from the boat. We rig back up and dropped down again, this time the same thing - brought up another tile. The sounder was showing fairly soft bottom so we moved and tried on a bit harder ground. This time we dropped the whole cuda, minus the head. Same thing, rod starts acting weird and so we crank it up, this time a yellowedge grouper!
Needless to say, we didn't catch any swords, nor did we even see any sword like action. We dropped a whole bft at one point and it got ate up by what looked to be cookie cutter fish. I wish i would have taken a pic because it would explain where they get the name. We started dropping for tiles and grouper on purpose eventually with an MC Saltwater bliner rig and caught quite a few. I think our total was somewhere around 5 yellowedge grouper and 7 or 8 tiles. We could have loaded the boat up probably, but after a few miles of hand cranking, it gets kinda old... No electric reels on this boat!
So the trip turned into a meat haul, but no swords. At one point we did go deeper, to about 1100' but i think we were still much too shallow. Oh well, we learned our rig up is effective and works, so now it's just fine tuning the location etc. Good trip overall!
(oh, and i have to give a shout out to the Furuno gods b/c w/out them we would still be tied up to a platform outside the channel waiting for the fog to lift!)

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
ah now you made me wish I stayed last weekend, i love deep dropping!!!! nice work guys!! i wouldnt mind a strict tilefish and grouper trip. snowy grouper can be caught on jigs :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ah now you made me wish I stayed last weekend, i love deep dropping!!!! nice work guys!! i wouldnt mind a strict tilefish and grouper trip. snowy grouper can be caught on jigs :)
Yeah man, you would have loved this trip - especially with nearly zero current, you could have dropped a sabiki to bottom out there. Let me know when you're in town and we'll go murder some fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts