2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a cat for the girls not too long ago. It's a little over a year old, and is a neat cat, but it still has all it's claws. He has clawed up some of the furniture a little bit, and has scratched two of the girls so far while playing. Our neighbor has an older cat that was declawed some time ago, front claws only. So now the wife wants to do this to our cat. Is this a normal, harmless procedure? To me, it seems somewhat cruel. But I'm no cat expert. BTW, the cat stays indoors for the most part.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
It is kind of cruel. You pretty much render the cat defenseless. If it is an inside cat only, it should be okay. If that cat goes outside even a little bit, leave the claws in.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
We had one declawed, never bothered him one bit. He would still act like he was scratching..but nothing got tore up. If you have it done, don't let him/her outside..no way to defend itself.
txranger said:
We got a cat for the girls not too long ago. It's a little over a year old, and is a neat cat, but it still has all it's claws. He has clawed up some of the furniture a little bit, and has scratched two of the girls so far while playing. Our neighbor has an older cat that was declawed some time ago, front claws only. So now the wife wants to do this to our cat. Is this a normal, harmless procedure? To me, it seems somewhat cruel. But I'm no cat expert.

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
I personally wouldn't own a cat that wasn't declawed, front paws only. It will make your life so much easier in the long run. Just make sure they stay indoors only.

When I had mine done (years ago) they sedated them, and glued vs. stitches, so no need for a return visit.

You need to use shredded paper in the litter box for a week or two until they heal. You don't want the regular litter particles opening up the incisions or causing infections.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
declawing is functional but do the front only. I believe they actually cut their toes off at the first joint. I have been told it is better to declaw at a young age because the cat actually has to learn to walk on its paws differently, since it is missing its toes.

·
88 Ag
6,217 Posts
We (wife and kids!!) have 2 cats that stay inside all the time. They are both declawed and we have had them both for at least 3-4 years and no problem with either.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,633 Posts
Bay Gal said:
...You need to use shredded paper in the litter box for a week or two until they heal. You don't want the regular litter particles opening up the incisions or causing infections.
Some vets do not tell thier customes this little tidbit of informaition. It is IMPORANT!

My neighbor was unaware of this when they had their cat declawed. Poor cat had to make 8 trips back to the vet due to a piece of cat litter entering the wound and causing an infection.

Thanks Bay Gal for pointing this out.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
We had our cat de-clawed. There is a litter you can buy called "Yesterdays News". It is recycled newspaper in a pellet form.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Older cats can have problems and die from it. there are ways to avoid tore up furnature. Our cat is 7 and is fully toilet trained but not to flush. LOL No litter box. She has claws but we have a large scratch box in most of the rooms. Ok now you know I have a house cat. LOL

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
For once I'll agree with M.I.B.
Give us a ring...We slay the other Vets on price & quality..!!!!
Pet check up.
281-955-8560
Oxx/Mark

manintheboat said:
It is kind of cruel. You pretty much render the cat defenseless. If it is an inside cat only, it should be okay. If that cat goes outside even a little bit, leave the claws in.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I have two old cats (15) that I had declawed when they were a couple of years old and two younger cats (4) fully clawed. All are strictly indoors. I regret declawing the older two because it wasnt necessary and left them defenseless should they get out as MIB said.

There are other ways to handle scratching. With the two younger ones, I trim their nails whenever I notice they are getting sharp again. I also used a squirt bottle and voice to train them not to scratch on the furniture. Worked just fine although took diligence and patience.

As for the kids getting scratched? It happens. I have had cats since I was a little girl and was scratched many many times....it taught me not to be so rough with them. The rougher you are with young cats during play and the more you let them get away with, the rougher they will learn to be.

·
5,908 Posts
We have four cats, three are declawed. Our last has his claws, to allow him to have something to claw I built him a box. I used some cedar 1x6's and mounted some old horse shoes on it to give a "formal" look, like an umbrella holder. He took to it from the get go. In the winter he may try some on the logs for the fireplace, but usually goes to "his" box. He only uses the same two corners and won't use the other two opposing corners.

In England it is against the law to declaw cats, considered cruel.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
Cool!!! Thanks, Ox. I guess a broken clock is correct twice a day.

OxbowOutfitters said:
For once I'll agree with M.I.B.
Give us a ring...We slay the other Vets on price & quality..!!!!
Pet check up.
281-955-8560
Oxx/Mark

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Every cat we've ever had but one was declawed in the front. I don't think it is cruel, and the cats are still able to defend themselves. In fact, the cat we have right now kicks all three of the dogs' arses that live with him. He is definitely the alpha male of the bunch. They just don't climb trees as well (which is their instinct when they are threatened) without claws. For this reason, we left the front claws in one of the cats we had because she was constantly getting outside. You wouldn't even know she was around, but when you opened the door, she was outside before you could even see her. Bottom line, as stated above....if they are 100% inside cats, I have them declawed in the front. If they go outside, even just occasionally, don't declaw. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Come on! Stand in the garage with a fresh piece of BBQ chicken to your lips and let the cat circle your feet, meowing and begging for food....Next thing you know it jumps onto your belly, imbeds its claws deep into your chest for support and is jabbing to get your drumstick!.....Had that happen many times!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
There are many problems that can arise from declawing, it is rather brutal in the fact that they do not just take the claw but the first joint completely off, my cat that was declawed before I got him has a typical problem where if there is something soft for him to pee on he prefers it over the litter box, which means any towel or clothes or even sometimes a plastic bag that could be out is a target. The second cat I got as a kitten and decided not to declaw her, I trained her right on a scratching post and the corrogated cardboard scratch pads. they work pretty good. I did notice a little clawing action on the back corner of the sofa but not so much that I wanted her declawed. I found out these softpaws as an alternative, I know it sounds goofy but it really works! The first time was a wrassle to get them on her but now she does not even mind, check it out and try it before you get the cat chopped up. check out http://www.softpaws.com/

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
my old cat was 1 when we declawed him. He was 18 when he passed! I just found him outside and liked him. Poof instant furball for 18 years. he was a good bud though. COolest cat I ever knew. He was VERY friendly and would talk to you all the time. If you left a magazine or newspaper on the floor he'd be laying on it looking at it. It was the funniest thing!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Cats make great fishing buddies....Especially if you live on the water....I'd keep the claws in if it were the case.....They love Crappie, Blue Gill and Catfish!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts