2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up and old boat. The deck is would with fiberglass coating. On top of that is carpet. The carpet is in very bad shape. Other that that and a the wood accents needing refinishing, the boat looks really good. I'm going to pull the carpet out. What I want to do is replace it with a durable grey or white surface that is not slippery. I'v seen some DIY products varying from $30 to about $750. I bought this boat cheap, and I don't have the funds to go with the best flooring available. I just want to know what I can buy to make a visually pleasing, durable surface that won't stain from blood, and that I can power wash after a days fishing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Grind the old glue off, repair any bad spots in the fiber glass. Prime the surface and coat with 1 part polyurethane . When you roll on the paint you can mix in some non skid, or spinkle it on the wet paint after rolling out. After first coat dries recoat without the non skid to seal it in. Poly paint isn't cheap but it is durable.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
try northshore marine off uvalde st. they carry a good line of marine supplies

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just got off the phone with Duraback and they are not willing to stand behing their product if it were to fade or change colors. I had a jon boat sprayed tan with Linex and when fuel spilled on it, it turned purple. They wouldn't stand behind it either and I ended up almost going to court over it. Duraback said it wouldn't change color but said if it did, thay I have to eat my **** sandwich and like it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've decided (thanks to you guys) to go with Durabak 18 light grey textured. I believe I will need 1.25 gallons.

Two things though:

1) I think I want textured, but I know for sure that I will be on my knees quite a bit, and I like to be barefoot when fishing in the summer. I'm a bit tenderfooted. How slick is the smooth Durabak when wet?

2) If I do get the textured, do I need a special gun, or just your average auto spray gun with a large nozzle?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is all I could find. I doesn't mention liquid at all, just light abrassives like walnut shell. The suction tube is about 3/8" in diameter. The nozzle is about 3/16". If I were to drill out the nozzle to 1/4", is there any reason it wouldn't work for textured Durabak?

1 LITER ABRASIVE BLAST GUN
  • Ideal for removing rust, paint and grime
  • Adjustable nozzle lets you control the flow of abrasive
  • 87 to 145 PSI
  • 1/4" NPT air inlet
  • Average air consumption: 3.2 CFM
  • Capacity: 1 liter (34 oz.)
  • ABS grip
Overall dimensions: 11" L x 2" diameter; Tool weight: 1.2 lbs

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I used the textured Durabak18 and just used the roller they sent with it and it turned out pretty good. It can be a little rough if kneeling for anymore than a few seconds but it doesn't bother me at all standing barefoot for hours.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TX CHICKEN said:
I used the textured Durabak18 and just used the roller they sent with it and it turned out pretty good. It can be a little rough if kneeling for anymore than a few seconds but it doesn't bother me at all standing barefoot for hours.
Thanks for the info.

I ordered the textured stuff this morning. It's so hot outside, I want to spend as little time as I can. I figure that I can mask (a lot) and spray quicker than I can mask (a little) and roll. Plus I think I can get it on more consistant.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a friend that ownes this company called Safe Floor. The company is out of Pearland, TX. The floor is comprised of chopped up rubber tires and urethane. The stuff weighs 3/4 of a pound per square foot. The flooring is very good on the feet and does not get hot in the August sun. This old man can even put fish pictures in the floor or any design you can come up with. I would definitly reccomend taking a look before you make a decision. He has put his floor in multiple guides boats including Jim Leavelle's Whaler. I am not sure of the price but I believe it is pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
topwtr#1 said:
I have a friend that ownes this company called Safe Floor. The company is out of Pearland, TX. The floor is comprised of chopped up rubber tires and urethane. The stuff weighs 3/4 of a pound per square foot. The flooring is very good on the feet and does not get hot in the August sun. This old man can even put fish pictures in the floor or any design you can come up with. I would definitly reccomend taking a look before you make a decision. He has put his floor in multiple guides boats including Jim Leavelle's Whaler. I am not sure of the price but I believe it is pretty reasonable.
Ditto on what topwtr said, I had my 12' Scooter surfaced with Safe-Floor and it's worth every penny I spent. Good stuff and Ed Harper is one top notch guy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Safe-Floor is not an option:
1) More expensive that DIY Dura-bak
2) Cannot be applied to the bare fiberglass wall of my boat.
3) Already bought Dura-bak...just waiting for it to arrive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts