2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
<------my fishing buddy
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for max "Knock down power". Which one do you think is the best ??? I am not worried about to much "kick" or "recoil". I am gonna carry this not my fiance :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Old roommate had a G36. Wish I had bought it from him. I think the extra grip length and 4 extra pills in the G30 would be the determining factor for me. Depends on if you want to sacrifice a little weight for the extra capacity. If you're seriously considering the 33, I'd look at the 27.

·
<------my fishing buddy
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Remington 870 sits next to the fiances side of the bed and I haven't found a concelment holster that's comfortable yet LOL.

T-Tung I am trying to talk myself out of buying a G27 before I buy one here in the next week or two.

Reactions: Gary

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
Depends on what you want it for: the 36 is better for concealment, much thinner. 30 has a few more rounds. 33? Well, harder to find ammo, but beyond that I just don't want to get into the argument about knockdown power: everybody's got an opinion and other body parts... I don't think that one vs. the other on the two .45's on knockdown power is going to be really significant, besides the extra rounds... I will tell you that a 36 is in the same boat as a 27, etc.; just not much fun to shoot.... I can handle recoil: I've got a .454 casull in the safe and don't have a problem with it... That being said, the .45 was really built for fullsize 1911's and the like: put it in a 20 oz. gun and the story changes a little bit...

·
Hoping to keep some spare change
1,410 Posts
Don't know if you are set on the Glock platform or not. I used to shoot a 17 and a 21 and they never felt "right" to me. I've since moved over to the Springfield XD platform and the ergonomics are much better for me. The geometry of the XD platform more closely matches the angles found on the 1911 platform. I've always shot 1911's well and that is the case for the XD with me.

I don't think you can go wrong with Glock or XD, though. I have a good friend that bets his life every day on the G30 and swears it is the finest pistol man has ever made. Both makes are uber-reliable.

·
Gone Phishing
6,976 Posts
Are you sure you want a Glock? If so, make sure you like the grip angle Glock offers. If you don't like the grip angle, look into a Springfield XD.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't be totally set on plastic

I would be looking into the 1911 platform. I carry a full size and a pro size(4") Kimber. The balance accuracy and easy cary of the 1911 just haven't been bettered by anything IMHO look at what all of your good swat teams carry, and your FBI special teams. The 1911 platform. My other half carries a Kimber Ultra CDP II and that is a great weapon for a compact gun.

·
20,198 Posts
It never fails that when somebody around here asks about a specific gun, everybody comes out of the woodwork telling the OP that he/she should buy THEIR favorite instead... He asked about the differences between three specific glock models, not "which gun currently on the market would be best"... I'm a 1911 guy from way back: also carry glocks. If it wasn't for the weight and size among other factors, I'd much rather have a fullsize 1911 on my hip instead. However, he didn't ask anybody's opinion on that...
MHO.

·
<------my fishing buddy
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info about the 1911's but I am going to buy one of the three mentioned in my original post. I currently carry a G23 and love the gun. I want a subcompact to have the ability to throw it in a pocket during summer, front of waders or whatever else you can think of for concealing a subcompact.

·
20,198 Posts
Thanks for the info about the 1911's but I am going to buy one of the three mentioned in my original post. I currently carry a G23 and love the gun. I want a subcompact to have the ability to throw it in a pocket during summer, front of waders or whatever else you can think of for concealing a subcompact.
I can't vouch for the 33, but you can just barely get a 36 into a front jeans pocket: just the sheer fact that it's holding a .45 ACP pretty much rules out treating it like a Ruger LCP.. The 30 just goes that much bigger with the .45 frame slide. Just for reference, you've got a 23: the 36 is actually built with a 40 caliber framed slide, so that's the thickness you're going to be looking at. The grip is slimmed down from that 23, though, and as I remember it's roughly the same thickness as the slide. The 30's "traditional" .45 slide is significantly thicker...
As an aside, fitting the .45 barrel into that .40 slide took a little grinding: as a result, it took some work on mine to swap the sights out: the screw holding on the front sight on a "standard" glock protrudes in to the point where it drags on the barrel: we had to grind that screw down to match the profile of the interior of the slide once it was set...In other words, if you want night sights, buy 'em factory: it's a PIA to put them in yourself...

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
My vote is the 33. That is just one bad round. Not a .45 fan. I'm not going to tell you buy this brand, type instead like everyone else did, but I have some specs for you to look at.

Subcompact 33 Height 4.17", length 6.29", weight 19.75 oz

Compact 32 Height 5", length 6.85 weight 21.52 oz

The reason I bring this up is that the compact has some pluses over the sub IMO. The 32 is will fit your hand better and is easier to shoot. And you will get 13+1 rounds as opposed to 9+1. I had a 26, and my next one will be the 19. It took a Glock guy to show me why I should go with the compact over the sub compact. The 32 is only 3/4 of an inch taller, and you will more than likely be using the clip finger extension with the 33, so in reality you have now just taken away the height difference. And height is the thing that you are most concerned with when carrying a concealed weapon. That is the part you have to hide, not length in most instances.
And it is only a half inch longer, which is not going to be noticeable, except to add to the sight plane(accuracy) and velocity, both advantages for you.
So you will gain an easier pistol to shoot with the fuller sized grip, and that will come in handy with that snappy round, and better mag. capacity. It was a no brainer for me. Just thought I would show you what changed my mind. Either way you will be getting a good reliable gun. And that .357 sig is an unreal round.

·
<------my fishing buddy
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for your info. It's all very helpful. You have given me some things to think about when I go down to Carrols tomorrow and actually put my hands on these different models and make a decision. I will be ordering the fiances Christmas gift tomorrow also, a G26. I just hope she doesn't shoot me with it LOL.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
I would be looking into the 1911 platform. I carry a full size and a pro size(4") Kimber. The balance accuracy and easy cary of the 1911 just haven't been bettered by anything IMHO look at what all of your good swat teams carry, and your FBI special teams. The 1911 platform. My other half carries a Kimber Ultra CDP II and that is a great weapon for a compact gun.
It's hard to beat a 1911.
John Browning got it right, thats for sure. Never saw the appeal for a Glock. Its a plastic gun with no safety. JMO, not trying to start a whizzing contest. I know lots of you like them, I just prefer a good 1911.

·
Banned
893 Posts
I am looking for max "Knock down power". Which one do you think is the best ??? I am not worried about to much "kick" or "recoil". I am gonna carry this not my fiance :rotfl:
Both calibers are more than ample, so see which pistol you can shoot most consistently..... Well placed shots have a lot to do with "Knock down power".....

PS - If you're going to drive to Carroll's in Wharton, head further south and talk to Ronnie at R&M Firearms in El Campo....... You won't be disappointed..... Carroll's can't hold a candle to R&M's service and price......

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
Both calibers are more than ample, so see which pistol you can shoot most consistently..... Well placed shots have a lot to do with "Knock down power".....

PS - If you're going to drive to Carroll's in Wharton, head further south and talk to Ronnie at R&M Firearms in El Campo....... You won't be disappointed..... Carroll's can't hold a candle to R&M's service and price......
What he said !!!!

My opinion is go w/ the Glock 36.Six rounds of 45acp is all us civilians need to carry.I used to carry the Glock 23 and switched to the 36......I'm happy I made the switch.

I'm not a big framed guy.....I carry the 36 in a High Noon IWB and also a Fobus paddle holster depending on how I'm dressed.I also have the Pierce Plus 2 finger extension on my magazine and it doesn't produce much more of a " print " than the standard mag.Here's a few pics, along w/ my Glock 22.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,343 Posts
......... I want a subcompact to have the ability to throw it in a pocket during summer, front of waders or whatever else you can think of for concealing a subcompact.
I've got a G26 and while I occasionally will throw it in a side pocket, it really doesn't lend itself to that. Even it is not as small as you would think and it is pretty darn heavy. I love the gun, but I avoid putting it in a pocket. Plus, I wouldn't carry any Glock without a good holster with a round in the pipe.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Think long and hard about the "subcompact" models.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my Glock Mdl 27 (Subcompact 40), but even with the clip extender, it is not as comfortable as I would like it to be in my hand. Easy to conceal, bit I would love just a bit more room for my pinky finger to rest.

I realize it is just a comfort thing for me, but definitely try before you buy if at all possible.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts