2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine (non-fisherman) took this picture yesterday at the TC Dike. He does not know what type of species they were and he thinks there was some type of tournament going on. He says the sharks were brown in color. I think the shark hanging is either a sand tiger or bull shark judging by the shape of the shark. Sorry for the poor quality. It's a shame that these sharks were killed.

Attachments

·
Did you see the size of that Chicken
90 Posts
dead sharks

Why is it a shame they are dead? maybe they are going to eat them, or if it's a tourney the sharks maybe going to research.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think its the Tackle Time tourney. They have always hung the big sharks and rays up for the public to see. They usually leave them there until they stink so bad you can't get within a mile of the dike.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I'm saying. Last year they did the same thing and left sharks out there to rot.

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
It seems we beat this horse to death every year, but we do nothing about it. Its just my opinion, but maybe we should sto just *****ing about the dead sharks and start doing something. I hate seeing a creature like that stung up for the world to see more then anything.

A magnificent example of evolution tied to a post so families can snap a picture with a "monster" from the depths of the ocean. Now that's what I can Family fun right there.

Instead of being ****** off on a message board why not send a letter to the organizers of the event giving a detailed out line of how to make the tournament a catch and release event.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone have any guess to what shark species it was hanging or did anyone actually see this live?

·
Fair chase fisherman!
863 Posts
I know last year I filed a complaint with TPWD aparently the laws concerning watse of a game fish do not apply to these people for some reason..... I also remember my self and JR getting blasted by several people and being called tree huggers for our opinions on the subject. I still think if you had a bunch of bull Reds or huge trout hanging out up there all the sudden you would have a bunch of ****** off people and TPWD would get involved then. Aparently our shark populations are low considering the 1 fish bag limit set on them several years ago vs 15 trout and 3 reds.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Yes, I got called a tree hugger and PETA last year. I find it funny, and most anyone else that knows me does also.

Not the killing of the sharks that is the problem. It is the total waste of the shark. Sharks are one animal that people see no problem with killing and just wasting. The large speices of sharks populations are very low, and this type of display does nothing to help.

What I find funny is a hard core trout fishermen will think that large sharks like the one in the pic are eating specs. That by killing the massive sharks they are somehow protecting the spec population. But in the real world that big shark is eating the little sharks that do eat specs. Without big sharks around nothing to contol the little sharks so we get a massive population of little 4'-5' sharks eating every thing. This is already going on in Texas and the East coast. Ask anyone who fishes the east coast about dogfish and see what they have to say. They killed most all the larger sharks and now the dogfish population is huge, making it hard to just fish. Same thing going on here, we have killed most all the tigers, hammers, sand tigers, sandbars, and other large sharks. Now the population of sting rays and sharpnose sharks are getting huge.

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
Dang it TJ, take that tree hugging hippie **** somewhere else. LOL

good points, and yes we do have a problem with 4 to 5 foot sharks along the texas coast from what i have experinced.

·
Old School 2cool
8,271 Posts
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Somebody throw some greeeeen on Josh for me please? I was born in Texas City and remember Tackle Time going on for as long as,....well as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I thought it was cool. Last year the girls saw the sharks hanging and they weren't happy at all! "Daddy, I thought you said we were only supposed to kill what we eat?" They were right of course. That's what they've been taught and I was proud as can be to see that it truly landed with them. I dont know what the answer is. I certainly cant, in good faith, participate in a tournament like that. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go find a tree to hug. j/k Guy
Neverenough said:
It seems we beat this horse to death every year, but we do nothing about it. Its just my opinion, but maybe we should sto just *****ing about the dead sharks and start doing something. I hate seeing a creature like that stung up for the world to see more then anything.

A magnificent example of evolution tied to a post so families can snap a picture with a "monster" from the depths of the ocean. Now that's what I can Family fun right there.

Instead of being ****** off on a message board why not send a letter to the organizers of the event giving a detailed out line of how to make the tournament a catch and release event.

·
Banned
756 Posts
Send a Letter to the Editor

Please provide the following information along with your letter. The Galveston County Daily News welcomes your commentary. No letter will be published until authorship is confirmed.

Name: Address: City: State: Zip Code: Daytime Phone: Email:

Text of your letter:

Write us ...

The Galveston County Daily News welcomes letters of up to 200 words on any public issue. Any letter that exceeds the word limit will not be considered for publication.

We publish only original letters addressed to The Galveston County Daily News. An address and daytime phone number must be included so the author's identity can be verified. No letters will be published until authorship is confirmed.
All letters and guest columns are subject to editing. The Galveston County Daily News reserves the right to decline publication of any submission.

You can also mail or
fax letters to:
Letters to
the Editor
P.O. Box 628
Galveston, TX 77553
Fax: (409) 744-6268

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
You guys talk about shortages of Sharks, I've been diving the gulf for 30 years and I've seen more Sharks in the last couple of years than I ever have. We ran right offshore after the hurricane last summer to inspect the damage and we had over 30 sharks under our boat on the 1st dive. I believe most of these sharks were pushed in from all the hurricanes in the last couple of years but believe me, their out there and are close in, suggest taking a helicopter ride.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I may be way out in left field, but I have a hard time believing the shark fishermen have had any significant impact in the decline of shark populations, IF in fact the numbers are on the decline. I suspect the major influence is from netters or long liners. I just don't see how any real harm can be done by someone keeping the one shark per day he/she is allowed to keep...

And as far as I am concerned, I should be allowed to do whatever I wish with my limit of fish, so long as I don't exceed it. Now, don't misunderstand, I would never intentionally waste edible fish, but the idea of being fined for leaving menhaden or mullet on the beach is a bit absurd.

Comments?

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Shortage of Sharks

If anyone believes there is a shortage of Sharks they have not been offshore in awhile. In the summertime a 1/2 mile off the beach in Galveston if you fell overboard you would be lucky to get back in the boat with everything still attached. There was an estimated 14ft Tiger, 1000lbs plus sighted just a little over a mile off the beachfront last week. You don't see as many caught because in my opinion, people just don't pursue the bigs ones anymore. I think TT is the only tournament left that has a Shark catagory. Gater

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
uh huh

gater said:
If anyone believes there is a shortage of Sharks they have not been offshore in awhile. In the summertime a 1/2 mile off the beach in Galveston if you fell overboard you would be lucky to get back in the boat with everything still attached. There was an estimated 14ft Tiger, 1000lbs plus sighted just a little over a mile off the beachfront last week. You don't see as many caught because in my opinion, people just don't pursue the bigs ones anymore. I think TT is the only tournament left that has a Shark catagory. Gater
Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Yes, sharks, especially the larger pelagic ones, are in serious decline across the world. I don't begrudge anyone from keeping their legal allotment either, as long as they use it or heck, at least get a good mount out of it. The wanton waste of an apex predator like that is disgusting, in my humble opinion. Get me my tree to hug too if that is how I will be classified but I try not to kill anything that won't eventually end up in my belly!

Heck JR, I guess I need to get a purple reel just like you now! :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Grew up in Santa Fe (ALTA LOMA ) for us real coasties .I used to help at the tackle time event it used to be great tourney can't tell you much about it now but has anyone thought to contact them directly and explain ?

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
like, guy, i was born and raised in texas city. this is the 44th annual tackle time tournament, and they've been hanging sharks up like this until their entrails drag the ground for as long as i can remember, too. i don't like the practice, either. and, i take being called a "tree hugger" as a compliment...i think it takes some brains to understand the importance of conservation, and taking home only what you intend to eat. i've never been able to figure out what kind of testosterone nose hit someone gets out of looking at his gigantic phallic symbol hanging from a meathook, while it rots in the baking sun.

however, the philosopher part of me realizes one thing: for many kids and adults, this is as close as any of them will ever come to seeing a real shark. maybe by seeing these beasts up close, touching their sandpaper skin, and realizing their enormity, power and beauty, and what marvels of evolution they really are, maybe some of them will walk away realizing the importance of preserving all marine life. i know i did as a kid growing up here. nevertheless, i am still very opposed to it. the sharks have been inhabiting this planet for millions of years longer than we have. but until the practice stops, maybe something good does come of it.

i also don't see any indications that the large shark population is in jeopardy at this time, despite man's attempt to obliterate them off the face of the earth.

·
JB Guide Service
205 Posts
Were My Tree

I LIKE THE GUY THAT SAID WHAT IF THEY HUNG A BUNCH OF TROUT AND RED FISH AN A BOUNCH OF OVER SIZE SNOOK AND UNDER SIZE SNOOK BIT YOUR *** THEY WOULD HAVE THE FEDERL GAME WARDEN DOWN THERE, WERE IS MY TREE I NEED A HUG,AND THE OTHER THINGS IS REMEMBER THE THE GUY WHO STAB THE SICK DEER AND THEY TRIED TO SAY UNETHICAL SO YOU GET THE PICTURE WERE MY TREE HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :cry:

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
are they still up?
I agree about them being wasted. But have family in from out of state who would like to see them (altho, seeing many live in Moody Gardens is better)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts