2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put out rat poison in the garage some time ago. Well I found a big rat in the garage and there is one in the ceiling between the 1st and 2nd story of by house. I know because I can now smell it. Is there something that I can do instead of tearing the ceiling out. Is there something that can be sprayed for the smell.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Had a bat in my chimney wall. It died & was a little stinky for a few days, but it was summer & it dried up quickly. Clothespins would be cheaper than sheetrock repair ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had a dead rat in my bedroom wall once. It stunk like hell for a week.
Last summer I put 3 dead raccoons in the trash can 5 days before pick up.... that was a BIG mistake!

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I had a possum die in the common wall of a duplex bathroom. It stunk for weeks until I had the tile wall torn out and the "ani-mal" removed and lye put in the wall, before it was fixed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had a rat die in my wall a while back where I could not get to it. After cutting 8 holes in the wall trying to find it, I ended up just patching it all up and saying forget it. I bought some strong air fresheners and just dealt with it. The stink lasted about 3 weeks, but eventually went away.

·
Registered
467 Posts
WOW...I am dealing with this right now!!! Dead something (prob rat) in the wall...The big catch to this is I have my house on the market to sell...I called a company...I wont mention the name...they said they could come out and use soem sort of moisture finder (kind of like a stud finder) locate the animal in the wall and cut the sheetrock to get it out...Catch is they don't do the sheetrock repair. I would have to find someone to come in and fix it..The pest control company was going to charge me $317 for the first hour and $32 for each additional 15 min to find the dead animal in the wall. I dont even know what sheetrock repair nad painting would cost in addition...I opted to just wait out the smell...man it stinks...good thing is I can close the door to that room nad it stays in there....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
rat smell will never go away, cut out the sheet rock, we had one in the ceiling and its fluids bled through the sheet rock, nasty

·
Cloudy with a bit of drizzle
435 Posts
Unless you can find it, tearing out walls could become more $$ than it is worth. We have the issue more often and the best is to use incense burners and if you can find it, use a scent pad in the vent of the heater/ac. It helps, but after 3 or 4 days, the smell will start to fade. Open a window and never close off the area if a bedroom. If you do this and open it back up, the smell has claimed that area. Lysol spray close proximity helps. Run a fan if wanted.

·
Still trying to figure it all out
10,501 Posts
Cut the sheetrock. I had just a little mouse die in a wall. I didn't want to cut the wall because it was paneled. I could see the little [email protected] from the attic but couldn't snag him with a fishing line. I soaked a rag with that "2 drops will deodorize a skunk" stuff and dropped it down on top of the mouse. That helped, but every time the weather changed you could still smell it.

With something as large as a rat, I think you're screwed.....

·
Registered
467 Posts
The problem is I have no idea where it is and when i go up into the attic it does not smell at all...it is just in that one room...I guess I could open a window..I have put the baking power in there and cut lemons to absorb the smell...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Dead rat or mouse smell is one thing that I can not stomach. I pride myself on having a strong stomach. I have trapped animals in the past and have skinned and cleaned deer, hogs, squirrel, skunk, possum, fox, coyote, beaver, nutria, ****, fish, ducks, bobcat, and otter. I too put out poison in my former house that killed a mouse in the attic. It crawled under some boards above the AC unit. After a week I had to remove it. Almost tore the AC unit out all together and even with wet towel around my face I constantly gagged. I did get the little sucker finally but almost threw up moving him and like I said I think I have a strong stomach. Dead rats/mouse are another thing though. I feel your pain and wish you the best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
idea for finding it

We had a moue die in a wall once- horrible smell - we drilled two small holes and were able to find the bugger by poking a small mirror thru one hole, and looking at the mirror thru the other hole, until we found the exact location. This way you only have to fix one hole about the size of your palm, instead of several different holes. You might be able to locate the rat by poking a small hole and using some kind of extension to smell the odor thru, before cutting a ton of holes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts