2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out in East Matagorda Bay and saw tons of dead fish. Mostly small bait fish and sand trout. Did see some specks as well but nothing like all the others Did not see any reds but did also see a sea turtle dead up near the bank. It is sickening looking along the shoreline seeing nothing but dead fish everywhere. I sure hope the bigger fish made it and don't float up in the next day or so.

Capt. Dustin Lee
Fish'N Addiction Guide Service
www.TexasBigFish.com
www.MatagordaBayFishingGuide.com
979-236-6203

Team Brown Lures, Fish -N- Hunt, Kubala Kustom Rods, Midcoastproducts., Wiley X and Stinky Pants Stringers.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I saw the same thing in 2004, lots of sandies and other small fish dead. Fishing seemed slower to me after that snow in 2004 now that I think about it.???

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the post Dustin, good to hear that you didn't find any big trout or reds. I'm assuming that you ran some worthwhile areas? It was pretty cold down that way the last two nights!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Looks like our area took a pretty bad hit. Both Galveston Bay, Matagorda Bay and Bastrop Bayou and Bay are my fishing grounds. SAD!
Sounds like more small fish than large fish. I guess that's better news BUT those small fish are the support food for the large fish so..............??????
Where did Global Warming go???????

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
Looks like our area took a pretty bad hit. Both Galveston Bay, Matagorda Bay and Bastrop Bayou and Bay are my fishing grounds. SAD!
Sounds like more small fish than large fish. I guess that's better news BUT those small fish are the support food for the large fish so..............??????
Where did Global Warming go???????
I've heard people say that the spring immediately following the 1983 freeze in Galveston was tremendous for both trout and redfish. The fish were constantly hungry because their food died and they were quite happy to eat lures. Does anyone have firsthand experience from this time in Galveston?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Was there all day yesterday as well, we only saw dead sand trout and bait fish.....no specks or reds. But there were a whole lot of sand trout that's for sure.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I don't remember it that way, but maybe some of the log-keepers can give you some accurate info.
I've heard people say that the spring immediately following the 1983 freeze in Galveston was tremendous for both trout and redfish. The fish were constantly hungry because their food died and they were quite happy to eat lures. Does anyone have firsthand experience from this time in Galveston?

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Wading Mark

I think you may be refering to spring after the freezes in 96' and again after the white Christmas in 04'. After the bad freezes in 83' and 89' the fishing was bad for 2 to 3 years. I can't remember, but after one of those the limits were lowered from 20 to the 10 fish limit we have today. Gater

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
FYI...Just got news that there are dead mangoves in the Harbor and yesterday some fellows found a bunch of dead mullet w/ a few trout mixed in.Also, another group went duck hunting and broke ice in certain areas of East matty, also found some dead trout on the SSL...but no big girls.I'll be headed down tomorrow and if I get time, I'll make a loop and report back on what I see.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI...Just got news that there are dead mangoves in the Harbor and yesterday some fellows found a bunch of dead mullet w/ a few trout mixed in.Also, another group went duck hunting and broke ice in certain areas of East matty, also found some dead trout on the SSL...but no big girls.I'll be headed down tomorrow and if I get time, I'll make a loop and report back on what I see.
Hey Scott, we were duck hunting as well but did not get out there till 1 p.m. and by then we did not see any ice on the bay but sure there was earlier. On the way in to Sargent just North of Catch All I did see with the spot light one spot that was about 100 yards around with tons of dead fish. Maybe due to the tide it had them all washed up together so may keep an eye out toward that direction if you head out there soon. They are all over but this place was just tons of them all together. I would have stopped but we had some cold folks ready to get to their warm truck. Oh and the dead fish I saw on the shore were all along the SSL I didnt mention that in my first post and also in the ICW everywhere.

Capt. Dustin Lee
www.TexasBigFish.com
979-236-6203

Team Brown Lures, Fish -N- Hunt, Kubala Kustom Rods, Midcoastproducts., Wiley X and Stinky Pants Stringers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can confirm the ice.....in fact, not only did we break ice near shore, but our decoys iced up as soon as they hit the water.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Dustin, can you take some pics of the dead fish so we can "be there" also?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Made a run this evening on south shore in East Matty. It's 99% baitfish, sand-trout, and hard-heads in the areas I looked at. Unless things change, or something I didnt see I believe it's all good so far. As for POC, it doesn't look good from what some of my family members have said on that end. I did not see 1 big Trout or Redfish dead in East Matty, I believe they all got out, but I do believe fishing will be poor for a few more weeks. What I will say, just like before, If we have another arctic front come in soon, It's all over........................

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to hear that Hollis did not see any specs or any of the bigger ones and reds. I was keeping my fingers crossed that we would not see Anything other than our bait fish, sand trout and hardheads. Not that our bait fish being dead is a great thing but much better than tons of trout and reds. Also keeping my fingers crossed we don't get any more bad freezes this year. I'm thinking fishing will be on the slow side myself for a little bit as well.

Capt. Dustin Lee
www.TexasBigFish.com
979-236-6203

1 - 20 of 29 Posts