2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a day trip to my lease on 7/01 with my dad. Left around 4:30 am, arrived around 8 am. The heat was not too bad early. Immediately did some scouting and placed my scouting cameras out along some intersecting trails. Lots of deer sign which was very encouraging and found some good solid trees to prune later in the year to use my climbing stand. Very dense although kind of dry up there, I am hoping it rains some over this holiday weekend. After about 9:30/10:00 am it began to get quite warm. Shot my pistols while the old man cleaned his arsenal, 6 pistols, 2 shotguns and 5 long rifles. After shooting mine, we packed our stuff and headed back around 11:30 am. Arrived back at Hooters in Seabrook for a couple of cold beers and some buffalo shrimp. Crashed early and woke up today around 5:00 am with ideas of fishing. Decided that I'd just wait for Monday and see what this rain is going to do. Started household chores which I had been neglecting for a while. Can't wait to get back to the lease in September to retrieve the images on the cameras. I can't wait for bow season to begin!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I'm wanting to get up to my spots. I hunt 3 ranches outside of Crockett so I already know where and what trees. I'm hunting natural funnels but I need to get a feeder going on one property and a cam in case I get my daughter interrested enough to try to hunt or just watch. Probably won't get there till August.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charles - thanks for luck with the cams. Captured quite a few deer last year (my first year to use cams) with most being does and small bucks. I did see one shooter opening morning of rifle season, 8 points and around 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 years old, just not enough time to make a shot. Total sight time of about 15 seconds, he was chasing some does. Last year I also saw a bunch of young bucks and lots of does, very promising to us. We have 8 feeders on our place which might seem like over kill but we feel if we want to keep the deer "on" our lease or close, we need to feed them more than the others.

kenforu - I hunt about 15 miles west of Rusk off of Highway 84. It's about 265 acres we lease from the International Paper. Very thick pine stands with scattered oaks. I personally have been hunting it since 1990, and in the extended family since 1979. ID Fairchild State Park on the east which to my knowledge is not hunted, a 75 acres private lease on the west, a 125 acres lease to our north. I don't know who is to our south although I can tell you we have had a couple of them "accidentally" (?) cross over to our place messing up some our members hunts. Really stupid because we have never crossed over to theirs and it's seperated by a small creek. They have been very lucky, 3 members are LEO and the others don't take too kindly to poachers. We have a great relationship with the local game warden and county sheriff who both keep an eye on the place for us during the off season. Great guys!

Some don't like hunting east Texas because the "trophy" chances aren't as good as other areas of the state. I personally like it because if and when I take a trophy (which is all a personal view in my opinion), I know I "hunted" for it and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to get it. I am a meat hunter because I can't eat antlers. I fill my doe tags first which is why I took up bow hunting, no special tags needed. My personal best buck to date is a 130" class deer I took the last day of the 2004 season with my 30/30 Winchester at 15 yards. I set up my climbing stand in a huge pine that over looked some intersecting trails. Good luck to all in the upcoming 2006 season. I will post up the pictures when I retrieve them.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Now thats hunting

a buck at 15yrd with a 30-30 win. That is hunting my friend most on this board except bowhunters will never know. I had to take two management does last year and put up the weatherby and got out the 45-70 and had a blast. Some times, it's not what you harvest but the memories it gives you. It sounds like you have a few tales to tell.Good luck this year!
I hunt by Glendale myself 4th year on the MLD program. Passed up two great bucks last year so big you would think I was telling tales. If all goes well I should have a chance at a 150+ this year.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Silverspoon,

Our place is between Rusk and Alto. We have 60 acres that I hunt alone. It's family owned land. Let me know if you ever want to ride up together to fill feeders. I get up there about every 3 months or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts