2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great way to spend the last three days before Christmas! No shopping malls, crowds of people, cell phones or work - only my daughter Jolie and my son Bucky. I'm allowed a one time per season hunt on a 17 section ranch hear Sanderson, my son and I have made the trip the last 6 years, always the week of Thanksgiving when the rut is in full swing. This year we had to delay until Christmas but this year was to be special, it would be the opportunity for Jolie to get her first buck. The weather wasn't real cooperative, heavy fog until after 10:00 AM Tuesday & Wednesday mornings, rain all Wednesday afternoon & night, and the wind howling like a banshee most of Thursday (honest to goodness gusts to at least 40-50 mph). Saw tons of deer, but didn't see any big mature bucks except mulies which were rutting. What a difference it is hunting when the rut is not on, the big bucks just seemed to have evaporated. We drove, walked canyons and sat in a pop-up blind, and Wednesday morning as the fog lifted my daughter made a nice shot on her first deer and dropped it in its tracks. It may look like a small eight point but to her it's the best deer in the world. Bucky followed up with a decent eight with two kickers and Dad never saw a deer to shoot. We had a great time camping, grilling steaks over the fire and being together. Oilfield workers saw a mountain lion the Friday before we hunted, had the kids hoping to see a big lion but not to be. For the first time ever did not see any turkeys or javelinas, saw lots of other critters including an old pocupine sleeping and snoring in a bush that the kids had fun with. Definately a great trip and memories, looking forward to the next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
You are bringing them up right dad! Congratulations to Jolie on her first buck! Great job young lady. And to Bucky awesome deer as always.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Great report and great shooting too by the kiddo's. Enjoy all of those trips with them to your fullest, they grow up WAY too fast nowdays.

These will be memories you all will have forever.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where at?

Where in Sanderson are you shooting whitetails? They'll run all of the mulies out of town.
The ranch is between Sanderson & Fort Stockton in Terrell County, it backs up to some Abilene Christian University property. Don't know how the mulies & whitetails interact, mostly we see mule deer in the more arid, rugged, and open country and the whitetails around the draws where there is thicker brush. Occasionally we will see a big whitetail that appears to have some mulie in it. Saddest thing is the rancher doesn't let anyone hunt the mule deer on his place, this year we saw four large, mature mule deer bucks. The neighboring ranches seem to have a higher percentage of mule deer, this ranch seems to be about 80% whitetails.

And everyone is right about the kiddos growing up fast. Its hard to believe my son is already 15, before I know it he will be off at college. And with football, basketball, track, Boy Scouts and whatever else it seems harder and harder to get in a weekend of fishing or hunting. And trips just don't seem the same without the kids, I often find myself staying home instead of going without them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts