2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Victoria Advocate September 28, 2008 - 11:27 p.m.
Angela Chambers left Corpus Christi to live near Juan Balberas in Victoria. Four months later, she hugged him for the last time as he lay bleeding to death in her apartment.

The 19-year-old Victoria man died Saturday night after punching his hand through two glass windows in Chambers’ apartment at 120 Regency Ave. He was intoxicated at the time, she said Sunday.

Chambers, who has known Balberas since meeting as students at Memorial High School Stroman Campus several years ago, on Sunday recalled the events that led up to his death.

Victoria Police Lt. Kenneth Jackson said he had no details on the case and referred questions to the investigations division, which was not available Sunday.

At about 5:30 p.m. Balberas began drinking beer and then took several shots of Southern Comfort, she said. He soon became inebriated and threatened to become violent.

“I kept telling him to stop drinking,” recalled Chambers, 19. “That’s enough. That’s enough,” she recalled telling him.

At about 7:30 p.m., Balberas emerged from her apartment and screamed that he wanted to fight someone. Chambers dragged him back inside and she and her cousin, Roxanne Martinez, blocked the door with the living room couch.

“We didn’t want him to go fight an innocent person,” Chambers said.

Balberas struggled to leave the apartment and eventually slammed his fist through a window near the front door.

“We saw some scratches on his arms, but it wasn’t anything with major blood,” she said.

Shortly after 8 p.m., Chambers and Balberas were left alone in the apartment. She took him into her bedroom in hopes that he would calm down. Instead, he started jumping on her bed and again punched his fist through a window.

Then he was suddenly calm.

“He laid on my bed and he hugged me and he told me he loved me and he passed out,” she said.

Immediately thereafter, the police began knocking on her door, Chambers said. She was surprised when they arrived because she had not called them.

She was taken to the police department for questioning and was told later that Balberas had died, she said.

“The investigator told me he was dead and that his arm was practically severed off,” she said.

When Chambers returned to her apartment, she said she found a large puddle of blood.

In the past four years, Balberas moved to Minnesota, but the two stayed in touch and reunited in Victoria four months ago.

“He was an awesome person,” Chambers said. “He had a great heart.”

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
i can see why they must have been attracted to one another. sounds like two idiots to me.

how can you lay in bed with someone and not know that their arm is practically severed off?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
muzzleloader said:
At about 7:30 p.m., Balberas emerged from her apartment and screamed that he wanted to fight someone. Chambers dragged him back inside and she and her cousin, Roxanne Martinez, blocked the door with the living room couch.

"We didn't want him to go fight an innocent person," Chambers said.
Thank God that jerk killed himself instead of an innocent person. Can you imagine just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, maybe headed back to the apartment with an armload of groceries and your kids? Good riddance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts