2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for a friend. Does anyone have experience with this hull? What kind of performance can you expect in terms of ride, shallow capabilities, and speed. He is looking for something to run skinny and realizes he will be giving up some rough condtions comfort. Also considering the Majek 21 RFL, Illusion, Transcat, and Shallow Sport. Any input is appreicated.

http://www.dargel.com/skout210.htm

·
2006 NewWater IBIS w/ F150 TRP
282 Posts
Father owned one for about 12 years. If I remember correctly he had a 175 HP 2 Stroke Zuke on it. Boat would get up in about 1' of water and run in 6". He never had any structural issues with the boat in 12 years. Ended up buying another Dargel but went to the 24 footer.

For the price I think they are a good boat. If he plans on fishing the Lower Laguna Madre the Dargel is a good fit. If he plans on fish Port Mansfield or further North he may want to find a smoother riding, drier boat.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bottom Finder I have noticed your friend was looking for a shallow running boat! I don't know if you've been in a 21 Shoalwater Cat but if he or you have'nt, before you decide on that Dargel which is a good boat !!! Give me a call so I can give you a demo on a 21Cat or let me give you a little more info. before you make that decision. I hope that I can be a service.

Capt. Ralph Morales
Team Shoalwater
Team Strike Pro
832-818-6912

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt.BigDog said:
Bottom Finder I have noticed your friend was looking for a shallow running boat! I don't know if you've been in a 21 Shoalwater Cat but if he or you have'nt, before you decide on that Dargel which is a good boat !!! Give me a call so I can give you a demo on a 21Cat or let me give you a little more info. before you make that decision. I hope that I can be a service.

Capt. Ralph Morales
Team Shoalwater
Team Strike Pro
832-818-6912
Thanks, that sounds good Capt. I think he is pretty well open to any reputable brand he just wants to run skinny and have plenty of fishing room on deck. I will pass along what you are offering.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response gregs1, I wonder if all of the boats like the Dargel 210 Skout, 21 Majek RFL/Illusion, etc. ride pretty much the same?

·
2006 NewWater IBIS w/ F150 TRP
282 Posts
B.F.

Your statement is accurate but there is a difference. Example, my only other experience on the boats you mentioned is a 18' Shallow Sport.....the 18' SS seemed to me a smoother ride than the 21' Dargel.

For what it is worth I have heard from others that the Majeks are extremelly rough riding as well....not sure about the others listed.

Where is your friend fishing out of?

·
Fightin Texas Aggie 12th Man
380 Posts
I own a Dargel Skout 190 GS. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. As I have stated on this subject before, I do not think there is a better VALUE for your money than Dargel. Not to start any kind of debate, but I would put Dargel's shallow water performance up there with all the names you mentioned. Any boat that can run 1 foot shallow is going to beat you up in Galveston Bay.....period. With that said, there are better made boats with much better finishes, and also faster hulls.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I own a 210 skout would not trade her for the world, i bought her used and I have also been to Donna TX to the Factory, the fine folks there are very helpful and responsive. the ride is damp at times but I reallly love to go skinny And copying a product is a form of flattery! POC is fun in the skout

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gregs1 said:
B.F.

Where is your friend fishing out of?
He has a place in Aransas Pass so he will be fishing a lot of the "off limit" areas for boats that tear up the grass i.e. Estes Flat. He knows that he will give up ride quality to get shallower but is ok with that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
skinny

Bottom Finder let me chime in with the others for I also use a Dargel Skout 190gs and have not found many places I cannot get into. Most use is in the LLM and base out of PM. Like others have said it can be a bit damp yet as was said earlier for value this type of boat is hard to beat. New owners took over at the factory last year and the service guys are great to deal with.

·
Registered
710 Posts
<<<Any boat that can run 1 foot shallow is going to beat you up in Galveston Bay.....period.>>>

I haven't run around with a measuring stick but I am pretty sure my El Pescador can get around in about a foot of water and it handles normal bay chop reasonably well.

Every boat has some sort of compromise--I think you have to figure out what you will be doing 90% of the time and get one which does that well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
B.F.

I run a 16 Skooter (Dargel) up here in the Galveston Bay Area. So far so good on performance. I have had it for about 4 months. It runs very shallow and it gets up shallow. I think the Skout series boat should do about the same thing. Give Cleve Ford a call he owns Dargel (956-464-2263) I'm sure he can help you out and answer any of your questions. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts