2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't understand poachers & have -0- tolerance for their wicked ways. Every year we fight poachers, we do everything right to spook them away, but we always find drag marks, gut piles, wounded deer, etc. Even this weekend on both morning hunts I heard shots that seemed on our pasture. A few years ago we heard a shot, one guy hopped into his 4-wheeler, cruised to the back fence & videod the boys dragging the deer through the fence & loading him up in the back of a pick up. He was even close enough to video the plate # which helped. That poacher was a convicted felon & is now in Huntsville (YEA we finally won one).

Here's what makes my blood boil. The Game Warden caught another worthless soul shooting at the Warden's decoy & was consequently arrested. Low & behold the poacher's brother-n-law is the district attorney for the county & was turned loose with only a fine!!!! Man I can't believe it, you can get away with anything today.

So here's my question, does anyone else fight poachers & if so how do you deal with it? I know the Warden is setting up camp on our place to catch these guys but it probably will only result in a fine (unless their a felon). The bigger problem is a lack of Warden's, we only have 2 in our county. I guess I know the answer (there's really nothing you can do), I'm venting more than anything. Man it's frustrating...!!!!!!

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
shoot me a pm with the location and code to the locks. I'll go watch it for you during the week.. anything to help out man!:biggrin:

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
I just don't understand poachers & have -0- tolerance for their wicked ways. Every year we fight poachers, we do everything right to spook them away, but we always find drag marks, gut piles, wounded deer, etc. Even this weekend on both morning hunts I heard shots that seemed on our pasture. A few years ago we heard a shot, one guy hopped into his 4-wheeler, cruised to the back fence & videod the boys dragging the deer through the fence & loading him up in the back of a pick up. He was even close enough to video the plate # which helped. That poacher was a convicted felon & is now in Huntsville (YEA we finally won one).

Here's what makes my blood boil. The Game Warden caught another worthless soul shooting at the Warden's decoy & was consequently arrested. Low & behold the poacher's brother-n-law is the district attorney for the county & was turned loose with only a fine!!!! Man I can't believe it, you can get away with anything today.

So here's my question, does anyone else fight poachers & if so how do you deal with it? I know the Warden is setting up camp on our place to catch these guys but it probably will only result in a fine (unless their a felon). The bigger problem is a lack of Warden's, we only have 2 in our county. I guess I know the answer (there's really nothing you can do), I'm venting more than anything. Man it's frustrating...!!!!!!
Sorry for what's happening to you buddy, it is getting worse by the day, it all has to do with Money/Morals/Standards/Ethics and is Not right anyway we try to tag it! Good luck and may the Gw's be successful!

·
Geeps
1,489 Posts
spout....you are always thinking of others.......Let me know if you need someone to hold your beer while you aim.....at the poachers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
At least your catching some of them. When we bought our place it was high fenced and filled with beautiful exotics. Guess what still high fenced but not one exotic. Poachers cut the fence and killed every last one. My place is heavily wooded around the fence, we never had a chance.

·
Banned
353 Posts
You just have to keep fighting them.

I actually sold the 35 acres I owned in East Texas 15 years ago because of poachers.
I bought it strictly to hunt on. It was fenced and the gate was solid. They simply cut the lock or the fence, and hunted it at will.

I owned it for 5 years and never shot a single deer on it.

Work with the wardens and talk to your neighbors. Get an article in the local paper outlining the "movement".
(Most poachers can't read.... but people will talk)

Make sure your neighbors inform the local Justic of the Peace, that they want harsher penalties, and that they vote... JP's are elected!

Start hunting (setting up to catch them) poachers.

This can be almost more fun than deer hunting.

I started doing this two years ago around La Grange.
I set up several tree stands along the fence line and would photograph the road hunters as they shot and recovered the deer off our place, and would be on the cell phone with the warden at the same time.

We caught one guy 3 times, and they prosecuted him as a felon for the second and third offenses.

In total, me and my two best friends got 11 cases (18 people in total) prosecuted from the only county road that runs along the side of my 128 acres.

So far this year I have not even seen a vehicle slow down.
I have seen the very recognizable trucks of two of the poachers we caught last year speed up as they passed my place!

My "hunting" was heavily discussed at the local coffee shops and other gathering sites for months according to the Tractor Supply manager.

·
SOUTH TEXAS DREAM'N
1,109 Posts
I just can't believe people wanting to shoot game off other people's property. There just ain't no pride in some guys. And, I would think- they're pretty "GUTZZIE" too.:biggrin:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts

if you really want to cause a rucuss, but the recourse could be bad for yourself.....you could always take your story of the BIL to one of the news stations and question the reason for just a "fine", someone scratchign someone's back....that could open up a can of worms for him that you may not even know about...just a thought.

i hate poachers too.

·
I TAKE LIFE ONE BEER AT A TIME
240 Posts
Pick up a buck decoy and fill it with tannerite, grab a cold beverage of choice sit back and wait for the mushroom cloud!!!!! be shure to have a jackhammer close by to clean out thier shorts.... www.tannerite.com
Happy hunting,KB

·
Registered
184 Posts
Let me start out by saying I do not condone poaching what so ever. That being said I feel the outrageous pricing for deer leases now a days has many hunters who do not own their own property out in search of something affordable. Don't get me wrong, poachers will be poachers but I do feel if most hunters could afford a place to hunt that SOME of this would be curved. My comparison would be the economy being so bad that burglaries and thieves are taking over now.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Let me start out by saying I do not condone poaching what so ever. That being said I feel the outrageous pricing for deer leases now a days has many hunters who do not own their own property out in search of something affordable. Don't get me wrong, poachers will be poachers but I do feel if most hunters could afford a place to hunt that SOME of this would be curved. My comparison would be the economy being so bad that burglaries and thieves are taking over now.
I think you have "Hunters" confused with "Poachers"...

Poaching has nothing to do with hunting, and very little to do with
the cost of a deer lease.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pick up a buck decoy and fill it with tannerite, grab a cold beverage of choice sit back and wait for the mushroom cloud!!!!! be shure to have a jackhammer close by to clean out thier shorts.... www.tannerite.com
Happy hunting,KB
Ohhhhhhh wow, BRILLIANT!!

They've been poaching the place for over 30 years, even when you could still find a very affordable lease. Years & years ago the former owner stated he caught a guy with his son on the place hunting. He approached him & the poacher had the nerve to say that this back hwy was his deer lease, he's been hunting here for years, & he'll continue to hunt the hwy. Needless to say that little boy grew up to a man & was one of the guys that was nailed by the Warden. Unfortunately his brother-n-law is the district attorney & like I said was slapped with a fine.

We've also found drag marks & tracks of a grown man & a little boys shoe print, gee I wonder??? Makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe we hang a sign that says to shoot only dry does at the beginning of the season, & mature cull bucks up to 130" & just throw up our hands.

It also makes me nervous that someone like this doesn't have a good mind set & is carrying a gun. It would kill me if my boy was out there & came across these people, it really is frightening as to what could happen. Those F$#@ing guys...

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I think you have "Hunters" confused with "Poachers"...

Poaching has nothing to do with hunting, and very little to do with
the cost of a deer lease.
X2... We have always had poachers on our place.... and always will. But we will keep fighting them and not making it easy... We try to get with the paper company and get them to leave trees and brush along the sides of the roads to reduce visibility for road hunters. We also try to keep our road in not so great shape to reduce the number of sunday drivers...

Most of the poachers we have caught are locals (of course) and I doubt very seriously that they have ever been on a deer lease. They are lifetime offenders, and as many have seen, most never change their tune and just keep on doing it. Deer hunting is privilege and not a necessity to live.... its entertainment..... and its not for meat either (beef is much cheaper than the deer hunting costs)...

I could understand a little more if people were starving and resorted to poaching to feed their kids and live... but if the economy is bad, then you get rid of the fluff stuff, like deer leases, fancy cars, etc.... and you just have to do without!

The majority of the deer I find dumped have just the backstraps cut out.... what a waste.... but, poaching is about killing.... thats what it boils down too... just wanting to kill something just to do it...

I feel your pain... my whole 3 day opener was ruined by 4 trespassers/poachers. I wont go into much detail because I will just get all pisssed off and Im on vacation and dont want to pout... haha...

We are actually just fortunate that they are just taking a few deer off our place and not tearing up our stuff.... Sad that we are LUCKY that its just deer, but it is what it is....

Keep the GW on speed dial and get license plates of each vehicle and take pictures for evidence. Let the law sort it out.... even if the BIL gets him off with a fine....

And dont be a hero and go approach them or point a gun at them.... just get the info. Poaching is not a little crime and the guilty know that... its not worth getting hurt or killed over....

I know alot of people on here and on my deer lease always say they would shoot a poacher or hold them at gunpoint and all that mess. Its trespassing and shooting a deer.... Hardly a reason to end someones life over.... or your own, just the same.

You think the system is unfair to a homeowner that shoots someone that is on their property or in their house and the owner is fearful of being harmed???

Wait til you have to defend yourself armed with just some trees with purple stripes on them and that you were not in fear of your life, just your deer....

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Ohhhhhhh wow, BRILLIANT!!

They've been poaching the place for over 30 years, even when you could still find a very affordable lease. Years & years ago the former owner stated he caught a guy with his son on the place hunting. He approached him & the poacher had the nerve to say that this back hwy was his deer lease, he's been hunting here for years, & he'll continue to hunt the hwy. Needless to say that little boy grew up to a man & was one of the guys that was nailed by the Warden. Unfortunately his brother-n-law is the district attorney & like I said was slapped with a fine.

We've also found drag marks & tracks of a grown man & a little boys shoe print, gee I wonder??? Makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe we hang a sign that says to shoot only dry does at the beginning of the season, & mature cull bucks up to 130" & just throw up our hands.

It also makes me nervous that someone like this doesn't have a good mind set & is carrying a gun. It would kill me if my boy was out there & came across these people, it really is frightening as to what could happen. Those F$#@ing guys...
Funny you should bring that up.... 2 of the 4 poachers I caught were teenagers.... one 13 and the other 14.... They were on a 4 wheeler in full camo and a deer rifle over each of their shoulders...

When I approached them in my truck and asked who they were and what they were doing, they said they were deer hunting.... I asked who gave them permission and they said their grandpa had told them that they could hunt that land. They gave me his number and I called him right there.... He said that he didnt care who owned it and that he and his family had hunted it all his life and would continue to do just that and hung up on me. For all he knew, I was calling the GW and having his grandkids taken to the county...

The kids were polite and apologized. I let them know that they were breaking the law and some of the consequences that they would face. I got their names and told them not to be back or I would call the GW. If I catch them again, I will not hesitate to have them ticketed.

Note, this was on the OPENING DAY OF DEER SEASON!!!! Now THAT is ballsy!!!

I have alot of friends that live in the area of my deer lease and they said that thats all they did growing up, was ride backroads, drinking beer, tearing up the roads and shooting anything they saw....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man it really is frustrating. That Grandpa needs me to talk to him face to face for a few minutes, I'd turn loose on him no matter what his age was. What a jackhammer!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts