2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.' Matthew 5:3-8 NIV

·
Kayak Fisher
7,565 Posts
Any ideas about what "poor in spirit" means? I pretty much understand the other types of folks mentioned, and all of these seem to be qualities that Jesus was praising, but what does it mean to be poor in spirit? What would that look like in a person's life? Anyone?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Verse

Mrs Backlasher said:
Any ideas about what "poor in spirit" means? I pretty much understand the other types of folks mentioned, and all of these seem to be qualities that Jesus was praising, but what does it mean to be poor in spirit? What would that look like in a person's life? Anyone?
Look it up in different bible publications and it will give you a better perspective ----------- I hope. :))

·
JR
307 Posts
Hey Mrs. B, just wanted to say Hi and I think it means blessed are the poor....who are in faith = (people that are struggling financially,economically,99% of the world). For they will have everything in heaven.

-We came into this world with nothing and we will leave it with nothing-

-Makes me think of how Jesus came into this world?? How rich was he?? How did people/society react?? This is the son of man?? Why would he choose this??

·
Registered
535 Posts
TopPop said:
Look it up in different bible publications and it will give you a better perspective ----------- I hope. :))
Googling this gave a lot of responses but this one may give a clue.

"The term 'spirit' translates Hebrew (ruach) and Greek (pneuma) words denoting 'wind,' 'breath,' and, by extension, a life-giving element."

Does it mean those who are ill? Does it mean those who are struggling against the hardships of life? Does it mean those like Job?

Sometimes the scripture may seem confusing but perhaps it's because we're all different, with different needs. What is confusing to one person may make perfect sense to another. Just something to consider. I would love to hear others thoughts on this.

·
Registered
535 Posts
anchor-boy said:
Hey Mrs. B, just wanted to say Hi and I think it means blessed are the poor....who are in faith = (people that are struggling financially,economically,99% of the world). For they will have everything in heaven.

-We came into this world with nothing and we will leave it with nothing-

-Makes me think of how Jesus came into this world?? How rich was he?? How did people/society react?? This is the son of man?? Why would he choose this??
anchor-boy,

I agree. I'm not real good at putting my thoughts into type but that is what I had in mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From My New Friend Lewis Again

1. We pray, "Our Father ..." Why? Jesus was God's only begotten Son; he addressed God as "Father," but why should we?

2. Because Jesus told us to. He told us to mimic his approach to God. But why? Because of the relationship between doing <=> being. It is true that people tend to act according to what they are. But the converse also holds: people tend to become according to how they act. God is making us into something different as Jesus continues to direct our lives:

They mean that a real Person, Christ, here and now, in that very room where you are saying your prayers, is doing things to you. It is not a question of a good man who died two thousand years ago. It is a living Man, still as much a man as you, and still as much God as He was when He created the world, really coming and interfering with your very self; killing the old natural self in you and replacing it with the kind of self He has. At first, only for moments. Then for longer periods. Finally, if all goes well, turning you permanently into a different sort of thing; into a new little Christ, a being which, in its own small way, has the same kind of life as God; which shares in His power, joy, knowledge, and eternity.

3. So, is being a Christian hard or easy? In a sense it is hard -- the hardest thing any human being can do.

Christ says, "Give me All. I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want You. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it. No half-measures are any good. I don't want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have the whole tree down. I don't want to drill the tooth, or crown it, or stop it, but to have it out. Hand over the whole natural self, all the desires which you think innocent as well as the ones you think wicked--the whole outfit. I will give you a new self instead. In fact, I will give you Myself: my own will shall become yours."

4. At the same time, though, it is far easier than the only alternative:

The terrible thing, the almost impossible thing, is to hand over your whole self--all your wishes and precautions--to Christ. But it is far easier than what we are all trying to do instead. For what we are trying to do is to remain what we call "ourselves," to keep personal happiness as our great aim in life, and yet at the same time be "good." We are all trying to let our mind and heart go their own way--centered on money or pleasure or ambition--and hoping, in spite of this, to behave honestly and chastely and humbly. And that is exactly what Christ warned us you could not do.

5. This is why the function of the church is not to produce nice people. Certainly, behavior matters, and all of the sermons, Bible study, and hymns mean nothing if they do not manifest themselves in actual changes in living. But, "[a] world of nice people, content in their own niceness, looking no further, turned away from God, would be just as desperately in need of salvation as a miserable world--and might be even be more difficult to save."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts