2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After ridin' all over creation with me down in POC this weekend dodgin' the other weekend warriors. Momma decided that I really do need a gps for the boat and that it would be a good father's day gift!! So now I need some advice from y'all fast before she forgets, or changes her mind!
What would y'all recommend ;brands, hand held vs. mounted. I really don't want to break the bank but won't exactly lowball it either. Only to be used in the bays won't be offshore (don't know if that matters or not).

Anyway thanks in advance.
Rick

·
Registered
285 Posts
We were with a guide 2 weeks ago.

I have a hand held Garmin and it works just fine for me. I use it to get me close but I would not trust any GPS for blind navigation ie.. night or fog. Things move on the bay like other boats and crab traps. The main complaint I have is the AA batteries. I have to carry spare's. Personaly next time I will get a GPS/Sonar (combined) with a split screen. Remember thing constantly change on our water ways. I'll bet after this rain we will have logs and lumber floating in Trinity bay. We were with a guide in Rockport 2 weeks ago coming in after dark and he ran over a green bouy folling his GPS.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I've used my garmin for navigation in the fog and it worked fine. I didn't exactly go WOT but I was on plane. Took me right to a small cut between spoil banks in the Louisiana marsh. I'd get the largest screen I could afford.

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
Garmin.....

I prefer the hardmount units for better screen size and accessability/readability while running. I always carry and run my handheld backup, but the hardmount is the way to go.

Hard to beat any of the Garmin hardmount GPS/sounder combos.
www.garmin.com
Color screens are very reasonable as well.

Talk to Clint or Cindy at Three Rivers Marine Electronics. Great pricing and great service. www.threeriversmarine.com

Bob

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just informed that the garmin 176c has been discontinued and replaced with the 276c. They still have the 176 mono in stock, the problem is are all the bells and whistles extra worth the nearly 200 bucks or will the mono fill the bill just as well??
Thanks again,
Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts