2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas

i usually just bone my meat out and make sausage, this year was thinking of cutting my own steaks...is there a website or a "how to" to properly cut some steaks from quartered meat?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Couple of rules of thumb: Always cut steaks across the grain. Bone out the hams, there are several big muscles that make good steaks. You may want to cut a steak out and cook it to check for tenderness before going full out. You can also have them tenderized. I only cut steaks from does or young bucks that are in good shape. Sausage and hamburger for the others. I have killed a few does and bucks that you cannot even eat the backstrap, they were so tough.
Good luck, and good eating.
BB

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
You can make steaks out of deer???

j/k... I usually only do the backstarps as "steaks".. more like filets... the rest of it I grind up.

·
Banned
2,395 Posts
Test cook some small steak from the area of the deer you are considering to make steaks from. If they are tough, use a meat mallet to tenderize a little and then sprinkle on a touch of Adolf's tenderizer before cooking. Makes a HUGE difference.

Ditto on the youtube videos for deer processing... helps a lot.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
sTEAKS FROM THE HAMS TASTE BETTER THAB BACKSTRAP

stupid caps lock.:doowapsta
It all tastes the same to me.. it's the tenderness I'm looking for... I did cook some elk steaks on the pit that came from the rump roast... now that stuff was good!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Couple of rules of thumb: Always cut steaks across the grain. Bone out the hams, there are several big muscles that make good steaks. You may want to cut a steak out and cook it to check for tenderness before going full out. You can also have them tenderized. I only cut steaks from does or young bucks that are in good shape. Sausage and hamburger for the others. I have killed a few does and bucks that you cannot even eat the backstrap, they were so tough.
Good luck, and good eating.
BB

Hey Mac this is usually how I prepare mine the rest is turned into hamburger and sausage.

later
Trey

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
On most deer (and hogs) I get as many steaks as I can. When deboning, cut out each individual muscle. The ones that are too small for steaks get cubed up for grinding. On the others, cut anything white off. Find the grain of the muscle. Cut nice even steaks across the grain. I like mine about a 1/2 inch thick.

If you tenderize them before freezing it makes it much easier when it comes time to cook them. I personally do not like my steaks tenderized to mush like some processing houses to. Going over it with the jaccard tenderizer then a few whacks with a mallet is typically good enough as I dont' want to lose the texture.

Keep steaks whole for chicken friend steak or gravy steaks. Slice thin for stroganoff, pepper steak, any stir fry, fajitas, etc. You can do a lot of with them.

·
Hunting Machine!
5,831 Posts
On most deer (and hogs) I get as many steaks as I can. When deboning, cut out each individual muscle. The ones that are too small for steaks get cubed up for grinding. On the others, cut anything white off. Find the grain of the muscle. Cut nice even steaks across the grain. I like mine about a 1/2 inch thick.

If you tenderize them before freezing it makes it much easier when it comes time to cook them. I personally do not like my steaks tenderized to mush like some processing houses to. Going over it with the jaccard tenderizer then a few whacks with a mallet is typically good enough as I dont' want to lose the texture.

Keep steaks whole for chicken friend steak or gravy steaks. Slice thin for stroganoff, pepper steak, any stir fry, fajitas, etc. You can do a lot of with them.
Thats the way I do it also--cept I cut about 1" off each end of the muscle and cube it 1" x 1" as well as all the shoulders-shanks--and any other "Tougher" meat into 1" x 1" for stew--chili--or Links--I then pack it in Meal Size Portions for the fam!

I cut all my Hams into 1/2" x 2" chunks for Chicken Fried Steak--put on the red potatoes for mash--get on to the Sawmill Gravy--and grab a FORK! (tender poison glands reserved for the cook and don't make it to the table--back off)

If possible marinate your steaks over night in the fridge and they will be ready to roll and just about cut with a fork!:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts