2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help. I am going to buy my 7 yr old a 410 but I don't know how to get it "cut down"
to fit him......Should I take it to a professional or just do it myself? How easy is it?? Redfishr????
 

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
Joined
·
23,584 Posts
Get your 7 year old a .20 gauge. It will be easier for him or her to hit what they shoot at.

If you just have to get a .410 you can cut the stock down yourself if you can cut a straight line but do some measuring for fit before you do. Make sure you don't cut off too much. Grinding a but pad for it isn't hard to do, but it sure is messy.

TH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
Be careful not to go under the fed min size for a shotgun.
The barrel must be at least 18 inches and the over all length must be at least 26 inches.
I've seen 410s cut down for youngsters that got close to those dimensions.
Trout hunter is right, a 20ga is much more useful than a 410. With lite skeet loads, a 20ga won't kick any harder either.
Also, 410 ammo is much more expensive than 20ga.
 

·
yakfisher
Joined
·
805 Posts
if i am not mistaken academy has the NEF youth combos in .243 and 20ga for around 150 or so. downfall is they are only single shots
 

·
Member
Joined
·
15,099 Posts
I would not cut the barrel over an inch, as you will change the choke on it.
I cut down a cheap gun for my oldest when he was 6 so he could shoot and get comfortable.
I just got a saw and cut it.
It worked great and fit him well till he got bigger....
410's are cheap, I wouldnt sink much money into one.
He'll out grow it soon and you'll get tired of the price of 410 shells.
If your son is small, dont put a 20 gauge in his hands yet, it will just scare him and you'll loose a hunting partner.
The 410 will kick enough...
 

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
Joined
·
7,636 Posts
I have to agree with getting him a 20ga, but don't make the mistake I did. I got my son one of the New England Arms youth model 20s and it fit him very well, but that little gun kicks like a mule in heat. I would recommend getting him a Remmington 870 youth model, it may be a little big to start with and you will need to cut the butt down on it for the first couple of years, but once he gets older it is easy to replace the butt with a full size one. That way he will be happy for many years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. My BIL has a youth model 870 20ga. I'll have to get out and see how he handles the kick on the 20ga. I'll let you guys know what I wind up doing. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,054 Posts
I made the mistake of getting my son a NEF break open 20 as well. It took a year of shooting a .22 for him to even consider shooting a scatter gun.

The best gun you can get a beginner is an 1100/1187 20 ga. Get a 23" bbl and stocks can be had on E-bay.

I just got a lady into shooting and found her a Rem model 58 auto with a Cutts Compensator for $350. Recoil is negligible and we cut the stock to fit her and put a Kicke-eez pad on it.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
15,099 Posts
Bull Minnow said:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. My BIL has a youth model 870 20ga. I'll have to get out and see how he handles the kick on the 20ga. I'll let you guys know what I wind up doing. Thanks again.
I suggest you shoot the 870 20ga, first, and see how much those guns kik.
It will suprize you.
Most dads forget how small sons really are and how thier muscles and bones cant take, what we take for granted ...
That 870 , 20ga kicks more than I would like for myself when bird or duck hunting.
My dad started me off with a 410 and then I went to a 20ga auto. Much less recoil in auto's. But I'm sure you know that.
Spooking that boy will cost you more than a couple of shotguns...Like Lezz Go said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
Bought my oldest son, when he was 8, a Spartan (imported from Russia by Remington) single shot 20ga for less than $100 Academy. Got a goose with it when he was 9. He shot with it for a couple of years then moved up to a Maverick 88 12ga.
My youngest son started shooting skeet with it last year when he was 9. He's not quite ready to move up yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
I have also heard that 410s are frustrating for beginners to learn on because it's so hard to hit anything with. Don't know if that's true or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I started off with a Bolt Action 410 when I was little. My dad used to take me rabbit, squirrel and dove hunting. I don't remember it bothering me so I will get him a 410 regardless. Just want to see what the Youth 20 does....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
I say what ever you decide to buy, go see Larry Feland. He is THE BEST shotgun fitter in town. He is also very good with kids, he like to see kids get into shooting. I don't think he even charges anything to "fit" kids.

I highly recommend getting your kid "fit" with the shotgun you buy...rather it be a .410 or 20. Without good fit, your kid will not injoy shooting, and won't be able to hit as well.

That's my $.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where is Larry Loacted? Does he sell guns?

Thanks!

txsnyper said:
I say what ever you decide to buy, go see Larry Feland. He is THE BEST shotgun fitter in town. He is also very good with kids, he like to see kids get into shooting. I don't think he even charges anything to "fit" kids.

I highly recommend getting your kid "fit" with the shotgun you buy...rather it be a .410 or 20. Without good fit, your kid will not injoy shooting, and won't be able to hit as well.

That's my $.02
 

·
Member
Joined
·
15,099 Posts
85LoneStar said:
I have also heard that 410s are frustrating for beginners to learn on because it's so hard to hit anything with. Don't know if that's true or not.
Maybe so, but it made me one heck of a dove shot by the time I was 12, and got my 20 auto.
My 410 was a full choke..
 

·
Give it hell Remy!
Joined
·
42,851 Posts
Find the heaviest 20Ga you can find for him. The weight and a good pad should make the recoil manageable for a 7 year old. An autoloader would be ideal if you think he is ready for it. Good luck to you and your new huntin buddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,007 Posts
Don't know how big your 7 year old is, but mine is not near big enough for a 20 guage. Had him shooting a .410 last year and it still too big, really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He's actually 6. He will be 7 at the end of October. He isn't very big or strong for that matter. More than likely I am going to go with a 410. I will get it cut down to fit him.

Does anyone sell 410 shells in Steel? If so where??

troy merrill said:
Don't know how big your 7 year old is, but mine is not near big enough for a 20 guage. Had him shooting a .410 last year and it still too big, really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,007 Posts
Bull Minnow said:
He's actually 6. He will be 7 at the end of October. He isn't very big or strong for that matter. More than likely I am going to go with a 410. I will get it cut down to fit him.

Does anyone sell 410 shells in Steel? If so where??
I do not think they exist. But you can get Bismuth. They cost about $17 for a box of 10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
My first was a bolt action 410, I still have it and my four year old will be seeing it in about 3 years. I know from experience that it's frustrating at first, but I'm still reaping the rewards of learning with that beloved POS. Aim small miss small...
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top