2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think about the cut rate rods??? I am looking at the one piece 10ft 30-50lb rod, it runs about $165. Does anyone have one? Let me know your thoughts... I want to use it with a 4/0 wide....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Get a 12' American Rodsmith from Academy for $49.99. Havent seen the cutrate rod but bet the AR rod is just as good if not better. The AR rods are a very very close copy of the 12' 6-12 oz. Ocean Master.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
Cut rate rods

IMO

The rods you are looking at are great.
A 1 pc rod is awesome.
You can probably get a custom for almost the same $.
Especially if you ask on this board.

1 piece are my preference.
But I'm old school.

10' magnaflux heavy 5-8oz w. 454 newells.
I got a pair. And 2 spare reels.
40# mono.

The ARS are just fine also.
But just not the same back bone.
50% of the time you won't need it.

IMO

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have both the AR 10' and 12', along with the cut rate 10' you're talking about. The AR is great for it's price, but the cut rate rod is definitely way more solid. I especially like the guides on the cut rate rod. The guides on my 12' AR have popped off on occasion.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Personnally, for beach fishing, I would prefer the AR, OM, or Breakaway if you have the money to spend. However, for pier fishing, I would prefer the heavey fiberlagass rods like the Cut Rate rods, which are fine.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Fish with 3 of them on the beach have 2 daiwa 450, and 1 daiwa 600, they hold up well. Have caught fish up to 8'6" hammer on them, they are no harringtons or harnells but you can't compare apples to oranges . Good rod for a good price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts