2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me to the most effective ways of rigging and fishing cut bait for redfish in the bays?

·
Me want redfish...
1,094 Posts
it's all about the hook! I like kahle or croaker hook for redfish in the bays. live or dead, that hook will get 'em. Circle hooks can be very effective too. Don't go cheap on hooks.. get the sharpest you can.

I use 40 lb test for the leader. Tie hook to leader about 16" long. 1/2 to 1 oz egg weight depending on current and depth. Add weight to line (add glass beads if ya wanna get fancy, and the beads will help protect your knot from the weight) and tie on swivel. Then tie on leader with hook. About 12" from the swivel is about right. If your not getting to the bottom, put on a bigger weight.

Throw out... let sink... take up slack untill you can feel the weight... drink a beer and get ready!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Exactly the way I do it. I set so many rods out the boat looks like a porccupine!
FishinHippie said:
it's all about the hook! I like kahle or croaker hook for redfish in the bays. live or dead, that hook will get 'em. Circle hooks can be very effective too. Don't go cheap on hooks.. get the sharpest you can.

I use 40 lb test for the leader. Tie hook to leader about 16" long. 1/2 to 1 oz egg weight depending on current and depth. Add weight to line (add glass beads if ya wanna get fancy, and the beads will help protect your knot from the weight) and tie on swivel. Then tie on leader with hook. About 12" from the swivel is about right. If your not getting to the bottom, put on a bigger weight.

Throw out... let sink... take up slack untill you can feel the weight... drink a beer and get ready!

·
Me want redfish...
1,094 Posts
shallow with some shell near depth with moving water

Example: Along ICW, look for small drains and bayous. Corners with shell, sharp turns in bayous

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
DCW said:
Exactly the way I do it. I set so many rods out the boat looks like a porccupine!
That's my favorite way of fishing!! Set 'em out, kick back and wait... then hopefully you can only use one rod because the fish are biting so well.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
DCW said:
It's a real challenge when you get fish on several rods at one time! Fun though!
Yes it is!! Especially alone!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use a number 4 or 5 khale hook with a chunk about half inch wide piece of fresh piggy perch or whiting works well (you can use whatever you want as long as those bait fish are in the area) with about a half ounce - one ounce weight about a foot above. Throw out and wait. Or do what I do while waiting, work lures.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't want to jack this thread or come off as being negative but the wife and I where fishing the other day, we where both using fresh dead shrimp and I cut up a small croaker for cut bait...all I caught was hard heads and gafftopsail as she consistantly pulled in red fish and sand trout on the fresh dead shrimp...I switched back to fresh dead shrimp from cut bait and did much better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts