2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've always put water in the bottom of my pit (pipe smoker w/ offset box) when i'm cooking brisket, ribs or whatever. but for most part, when we smoke meat at the lease w/out a water pan, brisket turns out pretty good. so question is, what is the purpose of the water? does it actually help in keeping the meat moist, or is it more for getting all of the fat out after cooking?

does everyone use water when smoking?

·
My shivagitter's broke
526 Posts
I used to use water or beer...couldn't tell the difference with or without. I did use water in a different kind of pipe while smoking back in my younger days...:)

·
Registered
572 Posts
My guess is that the water idea really kicked in high gear with those Brinkman smokers that had the water pan between the meat and the coals. That was really more for protecting your meat from the heat and fire than anything else, otherwise it was pretty much a grill...

Typical smokers with the offset fire box can benefit IMO with a water pan if the meat and the fire are too close to each other, baffles help but aren't a cure. I don't worry about the water as I see no benefit to it.

·
DeadEyeDean
1,495 Posts
I had always been told water adds humidity so you get a more moist/tender brisket.

Kind of like a sauna.

It also seems to help with heat regulation at least on my pit.

I don't think it is really about adding flavor but I know folks who use beef broths and say it adds to the taste.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts