2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Curado that I've had for the better part of 7 years. It gets heavy use and I tear it down after every 2-3 wadefishing trips. I bought a back up last year (love the reel).

Last couple of times I've gone out with the old reel the spool will not engaged after casting. The worm shaft does turn just not the spool. if I rotate the rod 90 degrees counterclockwise it kicks in. I've torn down the reel and reassembled, but the problem continues.

Have I finally worn out the brass gears in the reel? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Are you talking about the anti reverse? You need Mike from Friendswood (Shimano expert) to answer.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Sounds like you may have not put the springs back in correctly or one of the other pieces and when you rotate your rod it gives it enough pressure to engage.

·
Registered
774 Posts
BNT1465 Clutch Pawl Springs get weak and cause this symptom. Also, the hole in the BNT 1503 Clutch Pawl will corrode out and if it gets too big, it won't work properly. Replace both, they are less than $5 from Shimano and they don't charge shipping,

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Contact Mike In Friendswood.

He can fix it for you I'm sure, I had my reels cleaned by him and they worked better then new when I got them back.

FN

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,631 Posts
Sandman already nailed it. My guess is the hole has gotten enlarged (it does not take mauch). If you cannot wait, go by Cut Rate, they should have both parts in stock.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts