2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these brand debates are usually endless But I went to Basspro on San Antonio and Sportsmans warehouse as well with a Curado on the brain. Surprisingly both salesmen tried talking me into the Revo. They claimed that they are selling more of the revos and both claimed to be fishermen themselves and swore by the Revo??? So now I'm looking at the Revo SX and the Curado CU-200. My B-day if next week I HAVE to have an answer :)
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Jason

·
Duck Slayer
773 Posts
Jason, I have always owned Curados, and have always sworn by them. I always said I would never buy another reel. Well, enter the Revo! I was at Marburgers one afternoon during the Redfish Cup and they had a tent set up outside. There were some reps there that had a few of these new Revos out for you to throw if you would like. Once I picked it up and chunked it I was sold. A few weeks later I purchased the SX model ion the 7.1:1 and couldn't wait to use it. I tried it out a few days later and was extremely happy with the purchase. I had decided that I would use this reel as my main reel and my Curado as the backup. Needless to say a few weeks later I bought the S model of the Revo for backup because I liked the SX model so much. I then sold my Curado to a buddy and will never own a Curado again as long as these Revos are being produced! They are smooth, compact, fit in your hand better, and they have a 24# max drag. You can't beat them for the price. I would recomend you purchase the SX model. The S model doesn't have the magnetic brakes, and the STX is just way to fast and will cause more backlashes. One piece of advice though. The magnetic brake will rust and fail if you don't take care of your stuff. Always wash your gear down after using it and I oil my reel after every 2 or 3 trips on the water. Hope this helps you out.

BTW guys I'm just giving my experience. I am in no way putting anyone down for using the Curapo reels that are way overpriced. This is just my $.02. :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
OK that's it !! I've heard evryone that's bought one loves them over the Curado's. I'm picking mine up tommorrow !

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

GDO said:
Jason, I have always owned Curados, and have always sworn by them. I always said I would never buy another reel. Well, enter the Revo! I was at Marburgers one afternoon during the Redfish Cup and they had a tent set up outside. There were some reps there that had a few of these new Revos out for you to throw if you would like. Once I picked it up and chunked it I was sold. A few weeks later I purchased the SX model ion the 7.1:1 and couldn't wait to use it. I tried it out a few days later and was extremely happy with the purchase. I had decided that I would use this reel as my main reel and my Curado as the backup. Needless to say a few weeks later I bought the S model of the Revo for backup because I liked the SX model so much. I then sold my Curado to a buddy and will never own a Curado again as long as these Revos are being produced! They are smooth, compact, fit in your hand better, and they have a 24# max drag. You can't beat them for the price. I would recomend you purchase the SX model. The S model doesn't have the magnetic brakes, and the STX is just way to fast and will cause more backlashes. One piece of advice though. The magnetic brake will rust and fail if you don't take care of your stuff. Always wash your gear down after using it and I oil my reel after every 2 or 3 trips on the water. Hope this helps you out.

BTW guys I'm just giving my experience. I am in no way putting anyone down for using the Curapo reels that are way overpriced. This is just my $.02. :D
Thank you sir, thats what I need, an honest opinion.
Jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
You might want to wait on the revo for a month or two until the new Inshore series Revos come out. I know I will be getting one for sure!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately

BryanLs1 said:
You might want to wait on the revo for a month or two until the new Inshore series Revos come out. I know I will be getting one for sure!
Unfortunately, my B-day is in a few days and I have to tell the wifey something.
I'll get the inshore on my own if the reviews are good.

·
Duck Slayer
773 Posts
Mike have you heard what the price is gonna be on the new inshore series?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
not yet

Wait if you can I read the reviews on 1 of the test sites, and from what they said the inshore/saltwater version is supposed to be nice.

TELL HER TO GIVE YOU A GIFT CARD

·
Casting Tales
406 Posts
tackletour.com said:
The (Revo) Inshore reel is fabricated out of an exclusive one piece X-Craftic alloy frame and crank-side cover for enhanced corrosion resistance. Along with the saltwater-ready body design the reel incorporates seven stainless steel HPCRbearings, Duragear brass gears, Carbon Matrix™ Drag system, centrifugal brake system, and the Infinity II spool design. The reel also uses a stainless steel crankshaft for additional durability against the corrosive saltwater environment. The Inshore reel is 8.68 ounces (9.1 ounces with the Power Handle) in weight, has a larger line capacity than the Revo STX - 12/175, and a gear ratio of 6.4:1. The reel, either left or right hand retrieve, will retail for about $229 and each reel will be packaged with a Power Handle and a Extended Throw Handle for different inshore applications.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast07reelspg4.html

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
BryanLs1 said:
OOO ya!!!! The inshore. That will be added soon to my collection.

Unfortunately, I just had my Revo SX **** out on me. (Abu Garcia is taking care of me) The Revo is a sweet reel, I can cast it farther than my MG 50 by at least 20 yards. The bad thing is that they just don`t hold well to salt. I can hardly wait to buy and inshore. Another thing, Abu is GREAT as far as customer service goes and that is another reason I am fishing with nothing but Revos!! Just waiting on that inshore.......

·
fishingfanatic
483 Posts
The Revo is a fine reel but as Fish Aholic mentioned it does not hold up well in the salt. lt appears the new inshore series Revo will be mor suited to the salt. Personally I own several old style curado reels which have been my go to reels. I also just purchased a Citica which is taking the place of the old Curado. It is also a fine reel.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here is what I found:
Revo Inshore: After our in-depth review last year on the Revo STX we really wanted to see a saltwater version of the Revo and so did many other anglers. We ask and Abu Garcia delivers with the Revo Inshore low profile baitcast reel based on the rugged Revo STX.

Abu Garcia Revo Inshore
ModelBearingsWeightLine Cap (lbs/yds)GearREVO INS78.68 oz12/1756.4:1REVO INS-L78.68 oz12/1756.4:1

The Inshore reel is fabricated out of an exclusive one piece X-Craftic alloy frame and crank-side cover for enhanced corrosion resistance. Along with the saltwater-ready body design the reel incorporates seven stainless steel HPCRbearings, Duragear brass gears, Carbon Matrix™ Drag system, centrifugal brake system, and the Infinity II spool design. The reel also uses a stainless steel crankshaft for additional durability against the corrosive saltwater environment. The Inshore reel is 8.68 ounces (9.1 ounces with the Power Handle) in weight, has a larger line capacity than the Revo STX - 12/175, and a gear ratio of 6.4:1. The reel, either left or right hand retrieve, will retail for about $229 and each reel will be packaged with a Power Handle and a Extended Throw Handle for different inshore applications.
Sounds pretty good​
john​

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've used the Revos and they are freakin sweet but stick w/the tried and true Curado man. There just isn't a better reel out there than Shimano.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks Like A Shimano Want To Be. I Have 3 Shimano's. Curado To Chronarch Sf. First One I Got 12yrs Ago. Still Throws Like Its New. It Makes Me Think, Can The Revos Do That. Just A Thought.

·
One day at a time!!
812 Posts
My vote is for Shimano. Why not get the best? They have set the bar high and there is a reason everyone is chasing after them trying to keep up. I have the Curado 100D and it is far and away my favorite reel.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks..

Thanks allot guys for all the input. It would seem one really can't go wrong with either reel. I will use nothing but Shimano when it comes to spinning reels (and parts for my road bike infact). I think I may give the Revo SX the nod just to try something new. It would seem everyone likes them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts