2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
One day at a time!!
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth the extra 50 bones for the MG or should I just go with the Curado and buy more tackle?

·
Registered
944 Posts
not trying to hijack your thread but what about the Chronarch 100BSV VS. Calais 200ASV??? I am also on the market for a nice high end reel and can't make up my mind if I want the Chronarch or the Calais, both the models listed are the saltwater editions..

·
One day at a time!!
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would buy off ebay but I'm going to be using a gift cert. for some of the purchase.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I like my 100D. I was afraid to get the 50Mg and keep it in the saltwater. That's just my opinion and I fish out of a kayak and get my reels wet a lot.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
backlasher said:
I like my 100D. I was afraid to get the 50Mg and keep it in the saltwater. That's just my opinion and I fish out of a kayak and get my reels wet a lot.
i fish out of a kayak and just break mine down after each trip.. I just wish I would of got a 100mg. i can almost spool my 50mg with a top water

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
Don't go MG

Mine has got cancer around a screw.
A new frame is over $100.

I would avoid the MG.
Great reel but wrong for SW. IMO

My old chronach is unstoppable.
So they disconinued it. LOL

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Fishin-Inc said:
Mine has got cancer around a screw.
A new frame is over $100.

I would avoid the MG.
Great reel but wrong for SW. IMO

My old chronach is unstoppable.
So they disconinued it. LOL
I love my 50. But I think mine is getting cancer also. I clean it each time and the last time after I was done I noticed a bunch of green crystal-like stuff on the counter.....coming from inside the meat of the reel. I think it is doomed.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have heard that the MG will rust from the inside out. That is a lot of money to spend for something that isn't gauranteed to last too long.

·
Manvel Mob
829 Posts
You can get the 100D off E-Bay For about $ 150 or even a little less. If i was you I'd get one of the old 100B's.

·
One day at a time!!
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
therealspeckcatcher said:
You can get the 100D off E-Bay For about $ 150 or even a little less. If i was you I'd get one of the old 100B's.
As I mentioned before I'm going to be using a gift card so Ebay is not an option. Have an old Curado, but never used it because I was always using my gold Chronarchs. Just looking for something new now, and like the size of the frame of these 2 reels. Would buy the new Chronarch, but don't really want to drop that much dough right now. Looks like I'm going to get the Curado 100D. Don't want to chance that $250 funeral.

·
Josh Finch
1,459 Posts
I've owned most of the Shimano reels and recently sold all of them and now have 3 50 MG's with 30lb Power Pro on all of them. Very light, outcasts any Shimano reel I have ever owned (including the 100BSV I've been using) by a long shot and has worked flawlessly so far. The PowerPro is almost a must to keep from being spooled and I've started to like it better now that I'm using it. I have only had mine for about 3 months but have 2 buddies that have some over a year old with no problems yet. Take care of them and use Corosion X on them and they are said to last - we'll see as far as longevity but they are hands down the best reel I've ever used! I have them on Waterloo HP slam rods and I think it is a killer set up.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
have heard that the MG will rust from the inside out.

That is what Warren at Cut Rate on I-10 said as well. Some more than others. You can clean them off after you fish, but if you don't take it apart and clean the inside they will eat themselves from the inside out. I have 4 of the older model 100's and love them, but Warren told me Thurs. that one is toast, I wore out the gears and a second is almost there, probably by the end of the summer. Not happy! I got to look at one of the new 100's that Capt. Neu had today and really liked it, so that will be my next one. I just don't like the extra $70 they added to it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
troy the greeen crystal is corrosion take a green scouring pad and rub it gently and the green corroision will come off the rust underneath it is your problem.all you can do w/ the rust is rub it w/ the green scouring pad and make the rust go flat . and the clean and grease it. and then put it back together .

·
Registered
11 Posts
look the curado is the best reel ever ok. the chronarch is really good too. the difference is the curados are so good and last so long that they are discontinuing them. it does not matter which you buy you still need to send off about every yr or two to get new bearings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts