2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished with David of the full srtringer lodge this weekend and had a great time. Went out on friday before the weather moved in and managed to catch our limit of snapper to 10 pounds. What made this trip memorable were the 17 cubera snapper we caught. All were between 6 and 12 pounds. Never have caught cuberas in Texas. Lost some really big fish to cut-offs. We made a few attemts to catch them up again but we had very limited weather windows this weekend. On tuesday we pulled up to one of the rigs and a comercial snapper/shrimp boat out of palacios had allready made it's impact. I counted at least 50 under sized snapper floating behind their boat. Fishing was tougher than before and pecked away at legal snapper and one more cubera. Many thanks to david and Jody for their great hospitality. I gained 10 pounds with Jody's cooking and had a great time celebrating with mangoritas on the 4th. What a great place to stay and fish.
Full Stringer Lodge, give david a call for your next fishing trip.

·
Registered
491 Posts
grays (mangrove) snapper maybe?

Not that you can't catch cubera snapper in the Gulf , but the grays are all over both inshore and offshore right now and I'll bet thats what you caught . No matter what they were , great haul . Post a picture if you have them.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Cuberas at 6-12 lbs theres no mistake about it being cuberas. We have a few cubera spots marked and they are good for a pull.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looked them up on the Sport fish of the Gulf of mexico (by vic Dunaway) and they were cuberas for sure. Jody took the pictures so I will have to get the copies or look for them on the Full stringer lodge web site. A good pull is an understatment as we could not keep some of the bigger ones from cutting off.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
big teeth too. I have caught quite a few cubera. Id say about 1 for every 30 red snapper.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The diiference between mangrove and cubera

The only way to tell the difference for sure between a mangrove (grey) snapper and a cubera is to look at the tooth patch on the roof of the mouth. A cubera has a triangular shaped tooth patch and the patch on the grey is anchor shaped or arrow shaped. Otherwise it can be pretty hard to tell them apart. The only input I have on the "great debate" is that cubera are solitary species found rarely in the gulf. It would be unusual to catch large numbers at one time. I would place my bet on a large grey. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts