2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'm Wes, I'm a fishaholic.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built a rod from this New Zealand manufacturer's blanks? I understand that the Affinity S model is on par with if not better than the top of the line Sage and Loomis saltwater models. Feedback welcome.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
I've not built any fly, but have built several of their casting popping blanks. I think they're as good as anything out there. Also lots of blank colors, w/ a beautiful finish. The only downside right now is availability. I ordered some more on Aprl 23rd, and am still waiting. I was told to expect 6 wks, but it's been 12, according to my calendar. I do think they're worth the wait, though. I know Ellis and Randall have both built on CTS, with some being fly. Jerry

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,926 Posts
i've built on the casting blanks. they are great, one of the toughest blanks around. i had to build an ugly one so i could keep it. its the rod i use every time i fish. my favorite.
randall

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hi Wes,
I have built an 8 wt. on a CTS Maxim blank. It is not a fast action blank but more moderate. It is simply a joy to cast. However, the Affinity S is a canon. I used one recently on a guided trip south of Corpus. The rod belonged to Andy Dear the CTS US distributor. His rod was a 9 weight. I say was because the guide kept it for his own personal use and he has been using Sages. The problem in getting those blanks I believe is the world wide demand for CTS products. I e-mailed Karen at Bingham's today and all she had left was an Affinity One in a ten weight. I really want a 9 weight to use on windy days. I also have two CTS casting rods but I have not tried them out yet. Fishsticks4U might have one in stock. I will give them a call in the morning.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more Qs re CTS

I had read about the Affinity S on another site and it may have been your post, ellisredfish. The other post talked about a guide exercising eminent domain of the CTS because it was casting so much better than the guide's premium rods on an extremely windy day.

I am waiting for my registration to become effective on the "RodBuilder(sp)" website that is offering discounts on certain blanks. I have the price list from CTS--their prices are very reasonable. Do I order directly from the factory or are these websites the reps in the US? Have you used a freshwater weight, the 4-weight? Are they just as good as the saltwater blanks? How much should I expect to pay someone to build the blank into a quality rod and can I get a warranty this way? I appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hi Wes,
I think you must have read my comments earlier on another post. The first three CTS blanks that I own I bought directly from Andy. However, since he now has a couple of distributors for the blanks you will have to order from them. Yesterday Binghams had one 4/5 wt. Affinity One blank left priced at $112 which is about half of retail and the color is white.

You are welcomed to come by my house and test cast my Maxim anytime. There is a pond near my home where I test cast all of my rods and flies that I tie. I live near 59 North and Beltway 8 where the pond is located.

Concerning the warranty, I would contact Andy Dear at Lamar Fishing. I have not used a 4 or 5 weight CTS blank. I already have a couple of those weights in Allstar blanks and use them for bream fishing. I may in the future build one. I think I have too many fly rods already. I have a 9 wt. in an Allstar but is a heavy rod compared to the Affinity S. The person that you really need to talk to is Captain Fred Lynch out of Corpus. His number is 361-533-4227. He is a great guy to fish with and he will give you an assesment of the CTS fly rods. I have fished twice with Fred and am looking forward to fishing with him again.

If you decide on having a rod built, be careful in using REC guides. They are a great product but are noisy. They have a tendency to "sing at you." If your fly line is not spotless, it will make a zinging noise as it shoots through the guides.

Later today I will call Fishsticks4u and see if they have any CTS rods in stock and their prices. I will let you know what I find out.

Cheers, Ellis

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Wes,
I got in touch with Fishsticks4U and they don't have the fly rod blanks that I called about but could order them. They still didn't give me a price on a 5 wt. or 9 wt.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a website for Bingham's? I've tried to register on RodBuilder.org (aka Phorum), but they apparently aren't too quick on approving new users. Tell me more about the 9 wt you got to use on the windy day. Who built the rod? What blank was it (I thought it was the Affinity S)? How many pieces was it--I believe it is available in 2-, 3-, 4-, 5- and 6-piece configurations at additional cost. I prefer odd-numbered piece blanks/rods so that there is no ferrule at the midpoint of the rod. I own 2-, 3- and 4-piece rods and would consider the 5-piece.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Try Bingham's Enterprises and talk to Karen. The rod in the 9 weight Affinity S series that I tried was built by Andy Dear of Lamar Fishing. He is also the US distributor for those blanks but you have to order from Bingham's or Fishsticks4U and it is a long wait to get them. CTS will custom make your blank in as many pieces as you want. I can't remember how many pieces were in the rod that I used.

Cheers, Ellis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts