2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Anglers

My buddies and I are planning a 3-4 day vacation. Since money is tight, someone suggested Crystal Beach. Well we've been looking for "on the beach" beach houses and found a few. We've never been to Crystal beach before so what should we expect? Is it like every other public beach?

We are planning to fish for sure but not so clear on where we should go. Pier or Surf? I've asked some other folks and they said you can drink alcohol and start a camp fire on the beach, but thats not the only thing we want to do. Is Crystal Beach a secluded area away from the mass public? Fill me in with your ideas and answers. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Its a sleepy little town. With decent weather, expect a good number of folks on the beach. Nearest pier is likely 15 miles away. Surf fishing could be decent, but weed was an issue recently. Wade fishing in the pocket can be productive, or one can walk the rocks of the north jetty. Rollover is close by as well.

Once the sun goes down, there are a couple decent rests. and a hand full of bars.

To save cash, rent a place a block or three off the beach. Prices drop like a rock.

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,196 Posts
It's where this 28 y/o woman was killed recently. Wouldn't go out alone anywhere out there....day or night. Killer still on the loose.. Found her half nude in the surf's edge.

·
Registered
339 Posts
visit CB

If your visiting CB on an off-holiday weekend the beach isn't that crowded and is as safe as any beach in Texas or more so. You can campout and build a fire but don't have a fire in front of any houses or you will be asked to snuff it. The fishing is good anywhere on the beach-if the seaweed is floating in big patches the bull reds will be underneath as well as other fish. The north jetties-walk down to the boat cut-is great fishing and the bait house should be open. Another place to consider camping is the Fort Travis camp grounds-just off to the right as you exit the ferry-very safe and clean with toilets etc-the beach has porto-potties and a great view of the ship channel. Roll-0ver pass is best-fishing on the moving tides- but can be crowded and tangled up. Avoid the area of the beach known as the "Zoo", as this is where the young and restless-drunk and disorderly-hang out. This is where the young woman was found-not to imply that she was either. Also get some bait and drive down one of the road to the i.c.w. and fish the ditch. For eating: Bob's, Americal Grill, La Playita, Steve's, Decoux's, Stingaree and Subway are all good food and one should fit your budget. enjoy and keep the beach clean.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dpeterson said:
If your visiting CB on an off-holiday weekend the beach isn't that crowded and is as safe as any beach in Texas or more so. You can campout and build a fire but don't have a fire in front of any houses or you will be asked to snuff it. The fishing is good anywhere on the beach-if the seaweed is floating in big patches the bull reds will be underneath as well as other fish. The north jetties-walk down to the boat cut-is great fishing and the bait house should be open. Another place to consider camping is the Fort Travis camp grounds-just off to the right as you exit the ferry-very safe and clean with toilets etc-the beach has porto-potties and a great view of the ship channel. Roll-0ver pass is best-fishing on the moving tides- but can be crowded and tangled up. Avoid the area of the beach known as the "Zoo", as this is where the young and restless-drunk and disorderly-hang out. This is where the young woman was found-not to imply that she was either. Also get some bait and drive down one of the road to the i.c.w. and fish the ditch. For eating: Bob's, Americal Grill, La Playita, Steve's, Decoux's, Stingaree and Subway are all good food and one should fit your budget. enjoy and keep the beach clean.
good info...Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
vehicle pass

don't forget about the $10 vehicle pass. you need it to park on the beach. enforcement has begun. golf carts required it also.

·
donbmt
667 Posts
Don't forget to get your parking sticker, any store will sell you one, and don't pass up the shrimp po-boy at Bob's, it's the best, if you can stand all the Pittsburgh Steelers paraphanelia.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the water is anywhere near green, I suggest trying the surf near Rollover Pass. The croaker soakers catch monster fish around there. Us lure fishing guys don't do too bad either. If you don't do any good in one spot, drive the beach and try another, keep your eyes open and you'll likely find some kind of fishing action. I usually fish the beach from just west of the pass, to the High Island area.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Hook 'Em said:
Someone told me Crystal Beach was closed due to the vibrio bacteria? True?
I hope not I live here.:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the heads up on the parking sticker. no glass bottles...that means i can't reenact those Corona commericals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts