2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't really catch much to speak of, but boy, I got excited ! For those of you going yaking with J.R. & crew tommorrow, ya'll should do great.

Arrived at the west end of crystal about 4:30 this morning to find the water as slick as frog snot, skeeters were present but not as bad as H.I., had to leave there about 4:00 because we didn't even attempt to get out of the truck, they were swarming. The plan was to put a few trout in the cooler then yak out a couple shark baits. If any of you had to endure the rath of the pup blacktips over the past two weekends while searching for some specks, you know all too well how much of a pain they are, well we didn't catch a blacktip all day, nope, none! But by-god the pup sharpnose are here in DROVES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pogies as far as the eye could see, and sumpin' poppin' em out at the color change which was 200yds. out and moving closer with each hour (very prominent at crystal - not so defined at H.I). I'm leaving for Florida on thursday and decided a few jacks would be sweet to bring along, hopped in the yak and dumped a 6-7lb hunk of jack on my son Ryan's 9/0 and a 2lb ray on my son Brandon's 6/0 then proceeded to try and catch a couple of jacks. Not having done much "fishing" in the yak from the surf I found it to be very exciting. At 300yds off the sand the sounds of jacks busting the surface was unreal, like a stick of dynomite every 2-3 minutes. Managed one about 20lbs. (Destined for a Florida shark). While out there I saw about 5 small patches of weed, 3 of them had tripletail under them, with nothing on board to catch one I just watched them for a bit. Then, with a pogie drifting on my left, I turn and look right, and not 20yds away a HUGE Tarpon rolls and rolls. Honestly, he was probably 6ft, but for a second or two he seemed much bigger. After getting back to the sand and resting in the shade for about 45 minutes Brandon's 6/0 starts screaming, ended up with a dropped bait. An hour later Ryan's 9/0 starts squalling, not screaming, but squalling, only to be dropped also. Even though we don't have much to show for it, it was a **** fine day and I expect tomorrow should be even better for those that can get out.
Tony

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Nice report, man. Sometimes it's just about "being there". Know what I mean? Hope that big jack brings some luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts