2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Croker Soaking

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Troutslurp 
#1 ·
What Do Yall Think About Texas City Friday Night Using Some Croakers.last Weekend I Went And Used Live Shrimp And Caught 1 Trout.their Was A Guy Using Croker And Tearing Them Up.we Have 4 Tides Friday And A High Tide A 10:00pm So Im Go To Mesquito Island After Work.do Yall Think Its Worth A Try.only Used Crokers 1 Other Time Any Tips Yall Can Give Me?

#2 ·
honestly i dont like to fish with croaker at the dike simply because when i fish them the croaker find there way into the rocks and get me stuck...i rig up with a small swivel from my main line (14lb) to a 20lb flurocarbon leader with a small split shot and a khale croaker hook...i hook then right behind the anal fin but under the lateral line...
use the search function to see futher advice on fishing croaker as there has been extensive discussions on it

#4 ·
What do you mean by slide line croaker jolly. caroline them here. and it might have been me usingcroaker at the ****. Where did you see the guy at . Here is the way i rig mine. 1/2 egg then ty on a barrel swival a 24" to 30" line and a wide gap croaker hook. All line is 20 big game. Then you set the hook like bill dance.

#8 ·
troutdog said:
What do you mean by slide line croaker jolly. caroline them here. and it might have been me usingcroaker at the ****. Where did you see the guy at . Here is the way i rig mine. 1/2 egg then ty on a barrel swival a 24" to 30" line and a wide gap croaker hook. All line is 20 big game. Then you set the hook like bill dance.
Troutdog,
Try this sometime.... you can really shorten up the leader, particularly when wading in shallow water. And I mean short, like 4-6". I have seen days where they wouldn't touch anything with a long leader, but would hammer it short. Give it a shot.

Fished 'em a bit today, first time in at least a year. Got the tail end of a bite around the TC area after fooling around with the fly rod for most of the morning (how's that for changing tactics, 5wt fly rod to live bait!!). Anyway, got a couple of trout and 1 red. The area had been hit pretty hard before I got there at 10 am or so. Missed several as they were doing the pick it up and drop it thing. Now that I read your post, I'm a little upset with myself for not trying a longer leader to change things up. Anyway, they are certainly on them right now.

#9 ·
troutdog said:
It is a pier and jetty fishing method. You cast out a weight line, that stays out. Then slide live bait down the weight line with another rod. When a fish hits the bait it pops loose and the fight is on. Once you catch the fish you slide another bait down the weight line. You can suspend the bait in the water column in any location. This method is very popular for kings and tarpon from piers. Don't see why it would not work for trout.

#13 ·
troutdog said:
Wading away There are times my leader gets to 14in. or so. Sometimes the trout pick it up and drop it. Let it sit there it well be back be patient. I learned you half to wait to set the hook. If you are a premature hook setter you will lose many fish.
Yeah, I know you can wait, but my total impatience gets in the way. I kinda fish the croakers like a corky, just a bit slower but always keeping them moving. Makes the strikes more fun! Very effective, but the bait doesn't last too long. 5 or 6 casts usually does 'em in. (You can put them back in the bait bucket and very often they will recover) But when you find the fish, they never last more than a couple of casts before the get smashed.

I also always used circle hooks, and always tried to lift the rod early to ensure I never gut hooked a fish. I know I missed a bunch that way, but since I released most of the fish I caught, it didn't really matter to me. (and I am in no way preaching here!)

#17 ·
lurnin&burnin said:
Hey JR what do you attatch the main line to the weighted line with that will slide down the weighted line and then be able to pop it loose when you get a bite?
I use 3oz egg sinkers. Run a piece of light wire through the sinker making a loop. On the other end I have two tag ends of the wire stinking out of the sinker. Just put the tag ends of the wire through you swivel on the top of you leader. Get a snap swivel, attach to the loop in the wire, then snap it on the weight line. Free spool you rod with the bait on it until you reach the depth you want to fish. You can fish from the surface to the bottom. When a fish hits, he pulls the swivel free from the wire and you are fighting the fish. Once you catch the fish, have more slide line weights ready to go. Bait up and slide another bait.

Here is a link that explains the process, little different then what I do but same general ideal. Of course for trout you would want to down size the tackle used. You do not have to use croakers, mullet, pin perch, threadfins, whitting, etc..

http://www.tx-outdoors.com/extreme_surf_fishing/tackle_box/bob_hall_slider.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.