2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Florida waters...I "think" the one is a small Mantis Shrimp, but?? There were shrimp, crabs and a hogchocker(similar to flounder) also...

Attachments

·
Banned
4,487 Posts
We used to dig sand fleas on the east coast (of Florida) beaches. I never saw them much on the gulf coast beaches. What we called a sand flea resembled a cock roach, but beige in color. Had a little digger where their "chin" would be. We'd wait for a wave to come rolling in, and as the water receded, dig your hand into the sand against the flow of receding water. They were good bait. The OP's pic looks more like the mantis shrimp.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Here's a sand flea, also called a mole crab, that pompano like so much. I heard one guy was wade-fishing barefoot, and a mantis shrimp in its lair punched a hole in his heel. Mole crabs are sand-colored when alive. Anglers boil the leftover mole crabs they catch for next trip, toss them in the freezer, and that turns the crab more orange in color like this one.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,487 Posts
Here's a sand flea, also called a mole crab, that pompano like so much. I heard one guy was wade-fishing barefoot, and a mantis shrimp in its lair punched a hole in his heel. Mole crabs are sand-colored when alive. Anglers boil the leftover mole crabs they catch for next trip, toss them in the freezer, and that turns the crab more orange in color like this one.
Yes sir! Das de wan!! Thanks for sharing the photo. I miss the days of scooping them critters off the beach at Daytona or down in Melbourne/Cocoa Beach.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts