2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard once there was a place/list in the bluewater forum that you can put your name on to be used as a crewmember. Is that so? I will be on vacation all of July and part of August and would like to do some offshore fishing if anyone has room and doesnt mind a newbie. I have been offshore twice but only on party boats. Would like to see what its like on a smaller private boat. Can share expenses. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
alot of people post up for crew, just keep an eye out for it and hop on it when it comes available. I dont think the crew list worked as effectively as it was thought too when it started.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
As Argo said, the crew list kinda faded. I never used it, just posted up when I had a crew spot opening. I now have a pretty stable list of crew guys to sift through when I need an extra guy or two. I still owe an Austin native (BeYoung) a good trip to make up for his last trip with me. Watch the forum, people will post up for crew spots, it's like Forest Gump said with the box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. BTW, I personally I like taking newbies, I always enjoy it when someone catches something new..

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Newbies to offshore is good but newbs to fishing isnt always good, you can spend half the day rigging everything for them.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
valkyrie
the only problem with newbies is the sea sickness factor. you can teach some one how to fish but you can't stop one from dry heaving all day......rick

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Argo said:
Newbies to offshore is good but newbs to fishing isnt always good, you can spend half the day rigging everything for them.
I am in no way new to fishing. Have been fishing the Tx coast my whole life. Mostly bay, either wading or from a boat, countless nights on piers, and of course the wonderful surf.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
mcgolfer said:
valkyrie
the only problem with newbies is the sea sickness factor. you can teach some one how to fish but you can't stop one from dry heaving all day......rick
I generally mention that they look a little dehydrated and should drink some red gatoraid.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
and eat an a1 thick and hearty before getting on the boat, if they are gonna chum, it might as well be meaty.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
txfirenfish, I fish w/ a lot of guys that I've met here on 2cool. Before I joined up, I used to fish a lot byself. I'll take you fishing, but if it gets nasty, & you don't feel so hot, be prepared to feed the fish. That's my only problem w/new guys. Back in the spring i took out a couple of guys 25 miles, & they were crying to come back in. A lot of wasted gas, & they didn't pinch in for gas. They won't fish w/me again. Just hang a message when your willing to go.

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
I can't imagine being sea sick. I have been in some pretty wild stuff and seen people get sick, but never have been sick. I have been fishing since I was 2 years old (39 now) and can hang with most people.

Also, I would make people pay up front for an offshore trip. If we decided to call it early, I would reimburse them for part of the trip expenses.

I would think the problem with volunteering to crew on an offshore trip, for a newbie, is that you need to be able and willing to do your share of the work involved. I don't think many people here are posting for crew members just because they want to take someone fishing.

I think a good way to get to know people who look for crews is to go out on a tuna trip on a boat like the Big E, where these people are going. You get to meet, they get to see you fish and see how you handle the situations. You can exchange information and maybe they will contact you when the time comes where they need a crewmember.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Come on guys, just because somebody is a chummer doesn't mean they can't fish or have a good time. All crew members are expected to share expenses, catch, clean-up, and fun. Coming in early because a chummer can't recover will cost him a fill-up though.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
If you get a chummer you need to have some powdered ground ginger on board. Put a tsp under the toung or like a dip of snuff, and let it sit there for 1 hr swallowing it as they go. The ginger pills don't work as fast and the other crud the sell for it is hog wash. I learned this being a Corpsman with the USMC and did they ever chum on those flat bottom boats.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mahiseeker, thanks for the offer. First time I ever went offshore I got sick feeling, but never chummed. Just felt bad all day. Second time I took bonine and was perfectly fine all day. Its suppose to be better than dramamine. All I know is it worked. Wont leave dock without it again. Either way, I'm the kind of guy that wouldnt spoil a trip because I was sick, or at least try not to.

·
Registered
746 Posts
We are trying to get out tomorrow. Have room for 1 or 2. Its tentative at the moment due to a load of stuff to do at work but we're gonna try for Fri am. First come basis. Cost around $150.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Tall1fin said:
We are trying to get out tomorrow. Have room for 1 or 2. Its tentative at the moment due to a load of stuff to do at work but we're gonna try for Fri am. First come basis. Cost around $150.
If it was Sat I would. We always pass each other at ICM you're always back before us or before we go out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts