2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Mont, When you get a chance can you sticky this one again...Thank You!

OK everyone this thread is for boat owners/captians to get some basic info about prospective crew. Please only use for that purpose. Post up your availability, experience, prefered contact method, tackle, and other info of interest.

General Crewmember expectations:
  • Be EARLY to meeting place
  • Be prepared to split expences
  • Be willing to drive boat, rig boat/tackle, other deckhand duties (don't be lazy if you want to be recomended as crew again)
  • Do things the way the Captian wants it done
  • Respect Captian re: drinking/smoking
  • Help with ALL cleaning duties til boat put away and fish cleaned
Remember everyone you are a guest. Have Fun and post reports when you get back!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Crew Available

Gregg Keiffer - cell phone 713-817-3644.

I am free on the weekends w/ short notice, and I can go during the week (usually) with about 48 hours notice.

I am in Sugarland, so Galveston, Freeport, Sargent, Matty, and POC are my ports.

- 20 something years of fishing and offshore experience
- Have piloted numerous types of boats from 15' to 42' - dual and single
engine, outboard and inboard.
- Have sufficient tackle and will split all costs for the trip.
- Clean-up and staying until complete is a given.

Also - my Dad is always ready to go also (good if you need two folks).

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey everyone my name is Chris and I am an "Offshore-Aholic". I am ready to attend a meeting provided it is in search of the "Deep Blue". I mainly fish with my Dad on his 21'cc. I have been fishing offshore since 83' and I can read a compass, plot a course and know my way around a boat. I would like to fish with others to reach the floaters in search of YF. I have assorted Penn tackle up to 50# class. I have necessary terminal tackle for trolling, jigging, live bait, chunking and bottom fishing. My quest for 2004 is a YF tuna, Wahoo, and big AJ! I will go on daytrips or overnight. I am Hardcore when it comes to fishing.

I will be early, help with any rigging, splitting expences and will have food. I am a nonsmoker but smokers don't bother me. I like a cold one or two but don't mind waiting til getting back to dock. I am good at fish cleaning and will leave boat very clean. Availability will vary but don't be afraid to call at last min. cell (713) 540-3343.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
gundoctor:
Retired so I'm ready when you are. I would like a few days warning but last minute calls are welcome.
Live in Pasadena, but will travel for a chance to fish.
Prefer to use my own tackle (don't want to feel bad about breaking or loosing someone Else's) I will use yours if necessary. My tackle consists of Penn Senators in all the sizes from 4/0 to 12/0. Each reel is on a appropriately heavy rod. I also have a 30# class spinner for chunking poppers at surface feeding fish.
Non smoker, if you or someone else smokes that is OK.
Non drinker, I will have one just to be sociable now and then.
Don't mind if you drink as long as the person driving isn't under the influence.
Fished the Gulf for the last thirty years any time I can get a ride out.
Have made overnight trips to Tequila and Sunrise.
So far, as long as I take the pills, sea sickness hasn't been a problem.
I understand GPS navigation and don't zig zag that bad when driving. I can also read a compass and stay pretty close to a heading. What I'm saying is, I'm no expert helmsman but I will get there in a more or less straight line, if every thing is working.
I pay my share of expenses and respect you and your boat, because I want to go with you again.
The trip ain't over until the gear, boat and fish are cleaned to their owners satisfaction.
Email is [email protected],com or send me a PM.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Barnacle Bill
Bill
Availability: Any time (usually) with at least 72 hours notice.
Experience: Grew up on the coast and have been around or on boats all my life. Bays, near shore, extended off shore trips, etc. I have piloted boats and currently on a Redfin although it's not big enough for off shore.
Preferred Contact Method: PM or Email ([email protected])
Tackle: I currently have a couple of off shore rods (1 spinning, 1 baitcasting). Both are custom built and are excellent rods. No problem sharing my tackle or rods.
I have the usual leaders, hooks, a couple of diamond jigs and some other off shore tackle. I also have off shore flies for flyfishing.
No problems splitting the cost of the trip.
Staying til every last thing is cleaned and put away is to be expected.
Respecting the Capt's decisions (i.e. drinking, smoking, where to go, what to do, etc) is a given.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Crew Member

Raul A. Vega (aka Ruff),

If someone has an open spot on a boat I would like to be considered to go fishing. I will share on the expenses (fuel, bait, etc.), cleaning of boat and fish and whatever else is necessary.

I am 37 yrs old, live in northwest houston and have my own gear. Been fishing since I could walk. My favorite type of fishing is offshore. I have little experience fishing for marlin (one trip) but, if someone is willing to spend a bit of time teaching me that would be great (you can never have too much knowledge). Most of the deep sea fishing I have done has been for snapper, Grouper, kingfish, dorado, etc. and most of it in the island of Puerto Rico. I have also been on party boats (out of Freeport) plenty of times.

I do not get seasick, do not drink alcohol when at sea, am respectful of the boat owner, his equipment and the other fishermen on the boat, do not take fish that I or my family will not eat (i.e. do not kill fish unnecessarily) and do not break the law.

I have been on a couple of trips in which I have shared expenses with the boat owner and everything has gone well.

I am open to meet with the boat owner to get to know each other first or discuss trip plans, etc

With a couple of days notice, I can go fishing during the week. When the workload is light I can go fishing on very short notice. I like to go during the week since the seas tend to be less crowded.

If anyone with a boat has an open spot or any questions I can be contacted at:
e-mail - [email protected]
Cell (281) 772-0229.
Work (713) 975-2126
Home (281) 477 - 0719

Regards,

Raul A. Vega aka Ruff

·
Registered
297 Posts
Crew

My name is David Joyce. I live in Houston. I can go fishing pretty much any weekend on short notice. I can also generally fish any weekday on short notice depending on circumstances (sometimes have to travel for my work.) Could fish anywhere out of Galveston, Freeport, Matagorda, Port Aransas etc. My parents have a house in Rockport so I could even arrange lodging there if necessary. Obviously I'm willing to share expenses. I love to fish, and will be happy to stay out there as long as you want to. Best way to reach me is via cell (713) 252-2405. I have a bay boat, but I enjoy going offshore sometimes so please give me a call if you need an extra crewmember.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Guys,

I am available on weekends with 72 hr notice, but 48 hrs will work sometimes. I am willing to go out of most ports.

I have fished the Port A area for most of my life. My Dad used to keep a boat there and we fished about 2-3 times a month for about 8 years.
I am hardcore and never get seasick, knock on wood. Can learn more about rigging, but can do anything asked of me.

I will pull my share and more with expenses, clean up, fish catching, and anything else that needs to be done. I don't smoke, but might have a cold one. I rarely eat or drink anything while I am fishing, an occasional sandwich and water will work. I am 21 years old and well mannered.

PM me or email me at [email protected].

I love fishing offshore but don't have the boat to get out there anymore.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Chris, your post limits responses to only non-boat

owners. I own a boat but don't always want to take my boat offshore as my best fishing buddy can't go out during the week. I think it would also be nice if the boat owners posted so that it would give the individuals here an idea of who they are fishing with?

As posts are made, I will put together a spreadsheet with the references and post a link periodically as posts are made.

My name is Kim Couture, I own the boat Childs Play and normally fish offshore Freeport out to 60 miles. I have plenty of gear but if someone wants me to use their gear, I am ok with that. I have 20 years experience fishing the coastal & offshore waters (this includes diving and spearfishing). Plenty of driving and navigating experience. Of course, I know how to clean a boat and have no problem cleaning fish, gear and boats. You guessed it, I've never been sea sick. I do smoke and love a good cold one after a hard day fishing. I can fish anytime with a moments notice. I think the only fish I have not caught offshore is a sail. I would love to be called if anyone ever has an open spot on their boat. I currently don't work but am looking for a job.

I've been posting on this board since day one and know and have fished with many of the people here. I think most of them would say I am very easy going and very adaptable to any conditions. Overnight trips are fine with me.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to say I am deeply in need of a bluewater fix right now! When is this wind ever gonna die?

BG, Gunner, Farmer Jim and who ever else wants to go, we need to plan a buddy boat trip soon.

Oh yeah, I can be reached at home: (281) 392-4145 or cell: (832) 630-3130 or e-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
417 Posts
Crew

AS my handle implies I am and always will be a hardcore duck hunter. That being said, I think I have been bitten really bad by the "blue water bug". I've been going out w/ a buddy of mine (Sea Dueser) this past year and really love it! It's a given with paying your fair share and clean up afterwards. I'm available during the week and weekends with as little as 12 hours notice. (i have a GREAT wife!!) I have my own gear but if the Capt. does not want my gear to clutter up the place I'll leave it at home. I WILL pay for any tackle I lose during to trip. I know the stuff is not cheap. I am a smoker and a light drinker. Hell I hardly drink anything but Gateraid while I'm out. I can be reached at my cell:281-532-0432. Also, I'm in Wharton so i can go just about anywhere to meet up. The Toyota gets good gas milege.

Thanks in advance,
Eric Tiech

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Crew

Jerry Semifero- Corpus Christi
I'm retired, smoke, am willing to both pay my share and do whatever I'm told to do or see that needs to be done. I don't get seasick or haven't yet. I have my own tackle, not fancy but it works for me. I am new to serious saltwater fishing so am learning as I go.
I don't move fast do the "fun" I had in my younger days. Would prefer to fish out of Port A.
Contact me throught this board.

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
Bluewater crew

Brewgod
Well, I don't have a whole lot of offshore experience, but have made a few trips. As I am fairly new, I am willing to listen to instruction, and am a pretty quick study. Certainly willing to pay my share of the expenses and stay and work 'till it's all done. Although I live in Nacogdoches, I can fish midweek with a little notice. I have a bit of tackle for offshore, and am working on beefing up that area of my inventory. I'm 40, don't smoke, I do like beer, but can do without. I can be reached via cell @ 936-556-0717, So if ya have a space for an almost newbie, holla at me!

·
Registered
956 Posts
My name is Scott and I am 38 years old. I live in Corpus Christi and I am available for many weekends with about 48 hours notice and possibly Fridays if given about a week heads up.

I have my own gear from 20 pounds to 130 pound rig for amberjack. I have a fairly good collection of lures, hooks, jigs, etc.

I have been fishing in the gulf for 11 years, used to own a boat, but was too busy to use it. Now I am at a point in my life where I have more time. I can help with most boat duties, know where to catch some live bait in Port Aransas, and I am glad to help out before and after the trip until all is taken care of. I will gladly help out on any costs for the trips.

Currently, I am usually doing 4-5 long range overnight party boat trips a year and have been catching mostly tuna and amberjack. I enjoy all offshore fishing and I am more than happy targeting other species than those mentioned above. When on private boats, I only keep what I can eat or what others may want.

I can easily get to Port Aransas for any trips and I am willing to meet people in Port OConner.

I enjoy Willie Nelson and Jerry Jeff Walker. So if these guys are a playing somewhere between Austin and Corpus, then I probably am out there with them.

Best contact is with my e-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pick me, pick me, Oh, Oh, OH pick me!

Scott Townson, I live way up here near Fort Worth but can usually get away for a weekend of offshore fishing. I have all my own gear and then some. I have specialized gear for targeting grouper and big amberjacks. I've fished offshore on all three coasts and across the Atlantic as well. I chartmaster a couple of big trips for Tuna each year and fish the floaters whenever I can.

If you have a weekend trip and need crew to help with costs, labor, increased haul, and to share fishing knowledge and stories, I'm your man. Call me at 817-271-2307. I can pilot a boat and know how to hold a heading. I ran my own boat for a couple of years out to about 30 miles from Ocean City and Wachaprague, Va, while Air Force stagioned in Maryland. I'll pay my way, and stay until the work is done wether it be boat cleaning, fish cleaning or tackle repair. I'll be there.

All I need is at least 24 hours notice to gather my gear and get down to you. I've been known to drive all night, fish offshore 24 hours and make it back to work on Monday morning. Yes, I'm dragging my butt behind but I just love fishing offshore too much. If I can, I'll be there for sure ready to do my part. Again, Call me at:

817-271-2307 cell

·
Vendor
2,793 Posts
Take a Friend Fishing!

Hey Fellow fisherman,
On occasion we need an extra person on my boat. (Fuel prices are getting really tough!) I remember how bad I always wanted to go but rarely had a way to get to the deep blue! I will do my best to grab someone off the board when we have an extra space. I am a licensed captain and run enough charters to pay for the boat in the summer but the rest of the trips are mine for personal enjoyment. I'm still hooked! BTW I need a deckhand on occasion also.
About the trips. My boat is the Outcast (hence my ttmb handle). It is a 35ft Marlin cc with twin 2004 Yammy 300's. We use all the latest electronics for safety, navigation, and fishfinding. We tend to enjoy some cold beer but don't get stupid. We fish anywhere from nearshore snapper holes to the floaters. We fish with conventional tackle and also do some spearfishing. Our tackle consists of baitrods to 80lb class intl's.
All I expect from a crewmember is to help with any and all general duties on and off the boat that pertain to the trip. You are welcome to bring your own tackle or I can provide some. We all have a positive attitude and a will to have a great time! If you're not having fun something's wrong. You can see some of OUR fun on my site. Also, If you'd like to be on the call list please go to the guestbook and give me a name and some numbers. Also an idea of normal availibility would be good. Just trying to give something back to the sport that has given me so much! Enough of the rambling, here's the site:
www.outcastsportfishing.com

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
Crew

Capt. Doug Wilson here

I've done a lot of offshore fishing from Galveston to Matagorda out to 45 miles but have not had much opportunity to get to the Deep Blue. Anyone wanting an extra I'll be more than happy to share expenses and chores. I've got loads of rods, tackle and such. I am a licensed captain and can handle a boat in most conditions, some I shouldn't be in! LoL!! I work shift work for a local refinery and guide on the side. I have 2 weekends a month off and lots of week days so my availability fluctuates. I live in La Porte and can be ready to go on a pretty short notice. I also sometimes need some one to share expenses to do some near shore fishing when weather conditions are right out to around 40 miles. Contact me at 281-842-8563 hm. or 713-201-0606 cell.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Guys,

I put together the spread sheet so far. Sure hope I can get it inked ok. Please let me know if you want to update anything or I have something wrong. I had to abbreviate alot to get it in one page so hope everything is correct.

Well, guess the xls extension is not a valid extension. Anyone have a suggestion as to how I should change it?

·
Registered
624 Posts
John Williams, most folks call me Willie. I am a fairly experienced offshore fisherman, but average in ablilty. I do love offshore fishing especially tuna fishing. Due to kids in school I am limited to weekends and holidays until summer time. Then I am available most anytime. I am willing to do the hard work, I can steer and track a boat, not familiar with all the types of navigational aides, but am, at least I think I am, a quick learner. My biggest weakness in crewing is gaffing, there is an art to it.
I know of no other way other than to pay my share of all expenses and do my share of work before, during, and after the trip. I also believe in doing the captains, or boat owners share, he/she is providing the luxury of being offshore, and I believe they should be able relax and enjoy the trip. I do the work to the satisfaction of the owners wishes.
I live in the San Antonio area and am famliar with the Port Aransas area fairly well. Will travel to whereever to fish.
I do not smoke, but it doesn't bother me, I do not drink, except I'll have a beer once in a while( I buy for Shiner Bock) when we are back at the dock. I have no problem with a few beers being consumed on the boat, just always have safety first in my mind.
I have a limited amount of offshore tackle, nothing fancy, but soild stuff, but will use boat owners if they prefer. I am easy to get along with and am willing to try new things to catch fish. I've been out enough to know that sometimes the fish aren't there, watching a sunrise over the GOM is a winner to me.
My cell number is (210)215-3877. I'd appreciate being considered when a crew spot opens. I do not post much, but I am often off to the side of the fire so to speak listening.

·
Registered
165 Posts
North Texas TunaHead

My name is Kevin and I’m a tunahead.

I have been fishing since I was in diapers and went on my first trip offshore at 9. I think my favorite activity is casting poppers to tuna but really enjoy fishing in general, everything from making bait, bottom fishing, to trolling. Over the last few years I haven’t been able to fish as much as I would like (who does) so I have been doing a couple of multi-day trips a year. These trips have been centered around my quest of catching a 100#+ tuna which I was able to complete Jan 04 in Venice with a 158# yft.

I’m not a tackle Ho but have a good assortment of rigs that will handle almost anything in gulf from 4# ultralight spinners to 100# 2spd standup. I’m a competent deckhand that can drive the boat, gaff fish, rig tackle and baits, clean fish, and wash the boat. I do not drink or smoke but don’t mind those that do as long as everything is safe and can pay my share of the fuel, bait, food, ice, etc.

I live in DFW, Colleyville to be precise, but all the popular ports are less the 7 hours away and I don’t mind the drive. Between work and my family I’m not sure if how much I will be able to fish this year but I plan to squeeze in a few days of fishing.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts