2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what not to do if you go out with someone else on their boat.

1. Don't over due the pre-trip hype concerning how well seasoned you are, the tournaments you fished, and how hard core you are etc. This can create certain expectations about both of you.

2. Don't offer to pay for ALL the fuel if we put the trip off a day until your better half can come, and then don't follow thru......that's just cheap especially when the boat turns back because you want to.

3. Don't wear black soled shoes with the idea that the marks you leave can easily be scrubbed off later if your going to get off the boat and grab your stuff and not stay and help clean the boat.

4. Just because the seas are a choppy 3 ft. instead of 1-2 ft. and you weenie out ...........and to be considerate we overlook your earlier bravado comments and come back in........DON'T TAKE THE BAIT WITH YOU! Taking the bait you brought is the equivalent of digging through someones fridge to take your bottle of wine home that you brought. But thanks for leaving your old soggy recycled bait........that was generous! Excellent for making chum pudding!

5. Don't go on and on about how its impossible to catch fish when the fishfinder blows a circuit, yet you never put bait in the water a single time. Even a first timer knows that putting bait in the water catches more fish than electronics!

Almost 25 miles out and never put a bait in the water? The only fish caught was a dorado my son caught trolling and incidently the only bait put in the water all day. We (My son and I) spent the day cleaning the boat and later watched as the boats came back in loaded down with fish. My son was mad we gave up so easy so we decided to go alone the next day. Same conditions but this time we kept going and even without a fish finder...lol.... we caught a 1 man limit of snapper, 4 AJ's, 2 ling, not to mention kingfish.

The secret to catching fish is not "talking" about catching them or seeing them on a LED screen swimming around under your boat. Nope, the secret is BAIT, and a close second is PERSERVERANCE!

FYI, to be fair, I should mention the better half of this "crew" was literally the better half and game for whatever. I know she was a little squeasy and never complained.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Man, sounds like you had a nightmare. Pinch yourself man!!!
I have gotten lucky with the guys Ive brought out I guess.
Just glad to hear you made it out the next day for some catchin with your son.
I went out today with my Dad, well he went with me, but we had a great time.

·
Old ******
4,524 Posts
Sounds like you may as well have brought a bunch of bananas onboard.....!
Don't let it get you down. There are a lot of good guys and gals that make excellent crew. They're just hard to find.
BLNT

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Yes I'm still boatless and thing are getting worse every time I speak with Tracker.

I was floored by there latest response, but I can't say too much for now. It looks like I will be able to soon though.

·
Site Sponsor
250 Posts
I agree with your conclusions. Glad I never got that person as crew. Hope I never do.
If I do, and their actions are even close to any of the events you related, it would be their last trip with me. Agree, way to not get invited.

Most of the time I fish with my sons, grandchildren, or son in law.

I have had some good trips with people from this board, and have had the opportunity to crew for others, also pleasantly!.

Glad you and your son got back out with 'em.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Tall1fin said:
Here is what not to do if you go out with someone else on their boat.

1. Don't over due the pre-trip hype concerning how well seasoned you are, the tournaments you fished, and how hard core you are etc. This can create certain expectations about both of you.
QUOTE]

Good advice!

BTW- I have heard both side of this story! One yesterday and now one today...The other story wasn't pretty either!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Crew Etiquette

Capt C is right, there are always two sides to the story. I was not going to post, but since first blood has been drawn here you go. . . My wife and I were those crew members. I don't know where to start, however, I will give the facts. They are as follows:

• I asked Tallfin1 several times if my wife's Teva's were alright and he assuredly said "yes", since his son was wearing the same shoes. However, I did not notice black streaks at the end of our "3 hour cruise" so it was not even an issue.
  • I provided food, drinks, ice, 3 dozen live baits, 25 pounds of dead bait and I paid half of the $120 of fuel that he said we burned.(which I question since we trolled a lot of that distance back in)
  • I had to point out to him that his depth finder did not work. I knew that a Lowrance X-18 was a color finder and it should show colors other than black and it should mark something- seaweed, clutter, bottom, something. . . In the middle of the jetties the water depth is around 45 feet deep, not 13!!!!
Tallfin1 was correct in saying that I was finding any excuse to get back to port(from saying the 3's were too much, to acting seasick). The fact is his seamanship was frightening and safety became a major concern. After running for over two hours at 15 knots, we had made around 20 miles progress(as evidenced by the zig zagging wake.) His rigging was extremely amateurish ( as I witnessed double drop snapper leaders tied with 250 pound mono and mismatched swivels and hooks). I had some feathers which I had pre-rigged on 60lb malin wire, but he only trusts 120+lb sevenstrand that he himself crimps. Well anyway, his son shook a crimp loose by shaking some seaweed off- no lie!!. He ran by bridge Bait at 12 knots twice, creating a 3 foot wake for the average guy who trailers his boat. His course was 90 degrees off from the mouth of the jetties- 150 yards out!(this was with a functioning mapping gps unit) I had to point that out before we ended up in the surf. He stopped in the middle of the channel because we picked up some trash on the lower unit with a shrimper bearing down on us.

This is all the major things I can remember off the top of my head. The major reason I trusted this guy is that I knew he had gone to the floaters before as a buddy boat with a well-known member of this forum. I know those trips are for the most experienced fishermen, and I didn't think people with his skill set left the jetties. My current boat keeps me inside 30 miles and I was looking forward to sharing expenses and fun times with someone who was personable, and we could catch better quality fish than I am accustomed to.

Even with all his technical deficiencies, I would not of had a problem with him if he had shown interest in learning and had a friendlier attitude. Instead, he was cocky and bragged about consistently outfishing guides, ect... He acted as though he had nothing to learn from Texans who had fished these waters for over 20 years.( I guess he was a fishing pro in California in a past life). As far as the expenses go I feel I paid more than our fair share. This boat ride cost me about $120 when I added everything up. In return he provided a boat which he didn't know how to handle with a non-functioning fish finder and a lousy attitude. I think I paid more than I should have to this yahoo. As far as all these fish caught the next day, I would seriously doubt it unless he took my advise and hired a guide. The joke was really on me. After doing some researching and reading some of his old posts I came across one where he states catching a 35 pound bonita. I saw that I had responded. I wish I would have done my homework on this one.

I know we all have to start somewhere- I started in a 17' McKee, but a 29', $100,000, 10,000 pound beast is another story. Boaters beware!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I will say is the proof is in the pudding and we went back out and caught fish. We did postponed the trip for a day on a promise to pay for the fuel. We did our part and provided a seaworthy boat like we said we would. The decision to turn back in was not ours and we don't control the seas. Turns out the fishfinder was not broken just the transducer cockeyed from hitting floating trees.

Bottom line if you say your going to pick up the fuel bill then pay for the fuel! Second, don't complain that you weren't on the fish when you never put a line in the water. Anyone who was out on Fri. knows the blue water was out about where we turned back. Funny, the only one who caught fish that day was the ONLY one who put bait in the water......FACT!

Was not what I would call a "bad experience" just a busted trip and kind of a cheapskate. Was not a personality thing at all. Compared to other people that have gone out with us it was kind of lame. END OF STORY! Not that big a deal, there are as many people wanting to fish as there are fish to be caught!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, both sides are laid down. I dont go out in very sloppy seas, but the people who go with me know before hand that I aint turning back because they want too, but the people also know that I am still a beginner at this offshore thing too. If I see it necessary to go in, we WILL go in. As far as the Fishfinder not working, who cares, things happen, I didn't have one for a while and only use a cheap one now, we caught fish and still catch fish. Im curious as to why more lines weren't put in the water though..

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I intentionally didn't mention any names.....whatever! I won't comment on anyone's defensivness but I will say that none of it is true down to the rigging...except that we were dodging trees on the way out and on the way in. Suffice to say my son caught the only fish that day! And yes, on my amaturish rigging at that. FYI, the 35 lb bonita was an exaggeration but nonetheless was huge and caught on very poor rigging as well by my 16 yr old son. He read this post and we both cracked up at the twisted truth version....but we both know who took their bait home and who got to scrub down the boat. :)

This is suppose to be fun......let's just leave it alone now. Both versions are out there so we can all laugh at the 2 sides to the story.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I hate to say it but I would have never posted up about a bad trip with someone in the forum unless they threatened me or something. Some ppls personalities clash and that is all it sounds like to me. I like Sabine will never turn around for someone that is sick either. Their is usually at least 1-2 others that have chipped in for gas and bait that dont have the same feeling of going home. But if I want to go in, I will. Thursday I had 3ppl with me when My engine was acting funny and decided to pull my boat out of the water. None of them was too upset. The one that was a little upset, I told him I could give him my shop bill if he really wants to cry. They will however be my first crew back out with me. None of them are from this board. I have tried a few times to take some ppl from the board and will continue to try. I hope they dont have high expectations of catching limits of everything though. Some days are good and some are bad.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You got that last part right on the money Argo. Some days, the fish just dont cooperate.

Im young and haven't been doing this long, this is only my second offshore season and my boat is still down for the count this year, but took several different people with me last year. Regardless if we caught fish or not, they all had a good time. I dont take them out in over 3 ft seas, but thats my preference. I got sick a few times at first, but haven't had that problem in a while. Hopefully thats a thing of the past. Thats the main reason that I dont post up when people need crew filled. I would be flat out embarrased getting sick and spoiling the trip for anyone else, although Id not ask to go back home for the life of me. I went out in a buddies boat with him, the second time I was ever offshore, and got sick. He asked me if I was ready to go it, but I replied that Id be just fine, yeah right. There were three other people on that boat, all of which was wanting to fish. I didn't fish much that trip, but the others managed to get me a limit of snapper to bring home. Most everyone I fish with are those type of people. I would hate to try to take sides in this case, but I promise Id have had a line over the side of the boat.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
From what I read JWT wasn't sick but was worried about his wife and his safety. If I go out with somebody that I feel is operating the boat in a unsafe way I will ask to be taken in too. I would expect anyone on my boat to do the same if I was doing it.
Now I didn't see weather or not TALLFIN1 invited JWT on this trip or what , but if I ask somebody to go with me on a offshore trip that I had planned anyway I would not expect them to pay for anything,cause I was going anyway so it would have cost me the same weather I took them or not. They could bring their own bait and tackle, that would be ok with me. That is just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
This discussion could get into a whole new area with that comment Bobby. Here it is... crew for offshore runs - fishing partners or gas money? The guys who want fishing partners - Jim and the like - are sought after captains and can get up a crew in a heartbeat. That comment is not an indictment or even an observation about this trip. It just brings up an interesting side conversation.

FC

1 - 20 of 64 Posts