2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crawfish are just around the coner! :mpd: I will be cooking them for Mr. Repka again this year! Start Feb. 10,2010! :dance:

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
I had crawfish last weekend here in League City at Heads-N-Tails. They were good. Plan to get more this weekend if they have them.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
Does anyone know when the prices reach their lowest point, like they would be during the peak of the season? I'm guessing they're not, but I am having a get-together at the end of them month and would prefer to do crawfish instead of shrimp. I'd like to get them for around a $1/lb. or less since I'll be getting a sack. The last time I bought them (several years ago) I got two sacks of large crawfish for $0.79/lb from one of the fish places Seabrook/back side of Kemah Boardwalk. This was before Ike, so I know my choices are a little more limited now, but that's where I'm going again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They are still pretty high now. About about a month ago seen some for 2.65 lb in LA. They usually get real cheap rite after Easter like 1.00 lb or less. I'm headed back to TX next week and gonna try to find some.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
they start to get a little cheaper once the super bowl is over with. The cheapest being in April. My mother in law gets them for about 2.00 per pound now for her restaurant.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I thought that was the case. I can't wait for crawfish season.

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,022 Posts
How that guy at Heads N Tails sells those things year rounds baffles me and there kitchen is something else to stand in the middle of crawfish season.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Awesome! I have not been there yet but have driven by. I will give you a shout when I come in after 2/10.....Are you there on the weekends?

Crawfish are just around the coner! :mpd: I will be cooking them for Mr. Repka again this year! Start Feb. 10,2010! :dance:

·
US Army Aviation NSDQ!
3,711 Posts
I love crawfish season! Took 200lbs up to college station and had a beer and tails party. Guys pay 8 bucks, girls get in free. :)

Always love crawfish season.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I love crawfish season! Took 200lbs up to college station and had a beer and tails party. Guys pay 8 bucks, girls get in free. :)

Always love crawfish season.
All you are is a tail whore!!! :D Need pictures, my imagination sucks.:texasflag

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
You don't have to wait, they're here...
But what are the prices? I have a hard time spending $2/lb. or more for a sack when I can wait a little bit and get them for half that or even less.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
But what are the prices? I have a hard time spending $2/lb. or more for a sack when I can wait a little bit and get them for half that or even less.
I buy mine from Bubba J's in Pasadena & rarely find more than a dozen or so dead bugs per 40/lb sack. I usually do 3-4 boils Feb-April. $2/lb is about the going price. I think I got them for $1.65/lb once, but I bought 160lbs for that party. I've been told that you can get them for 0.99 - $1.25 in Breaux Bridge. I would have to buy a helluva lot of bugs to make that trip pay off.

Call the Wednesday before the weekend of your boil to reserve your bugs, & pick them up Saturday morning...Bubba J's 281-474-7467...they have good looking shrimp too. :wink:

·
Typical Texan
8,414 Posts
I buy mine from Bubba J's in Pasadena & rarely find more than a dozen or so dead bugs per 40/lb sack. I usually do 3-4 boils Feb-April. $2/lb is about the going price. I think I got them for $1.65/lb once, but I bought 160lbs for that party. I've been told that you can get them for 0.99 - $1.25 in Breaux Bridge. I would have to buy a helluva lot of bugs to make that trip pay off.

Call the Wednesday before the weekend of your boil to reserve your bugs, & pick them up Saturday morning...Bubba J's 281-474-7467...they have good looking shrimp too. :wink:
Yup. They don't get much cheaper than $1.60-$1.75 no matter what time of year. Last year I did a boil at the end of March and paid right at 2 bucks a pound for ~200 lbs. Even if they are a buck a pound in LA, I'll burn 80 bucks in gas and 8hr. of my time. It just isn't worth making the trip if that is the only reason going.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts