2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or do the crab traps in Jones seem to be multiplying.I was fortunate enough to get to untangle another one from my prop this weekend.I have been running that area for almost 20 years and have never seen anything like it.Most of them aren't tagged either.Does anyone know the law on this because I am ready to start my own clean-up crew,at this rate we can't wait till March when TPW comes to help.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I absolutely HATE crab traps. It is OBVIOUS that game wardens are not even making an attempt to police them, and I'm sick of it. I have had reefs and flats rendered unfishable by the dang things, and I have lost good fish to them, and that's not to mention the navigational hazards they present. And what about the floats that are half deteriorated and brown or green, with no white showing whatsoever, but are still tagged and actively run? They should be confiscated and ticketed regularly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MsAddicted I didn't see that one before.Got any ideas? Seems as though alot of the traps are untagged.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I am wondering if we just start picking them up...who is going to say anything? We did nab a couple of the worst unmarked ones last fall before we realized it was not legal.

We werent able to participate in the cleanup this year because we were both working which is a bummer. We had several in Jones that were "on our list". But realistically...who is going to notice or say anything? I mean, what are the chances of actually getting in trouble for picking them up with Jones being kind of out of sight the way it is? Sure it is regularly crabbed by the crab guy(s) but obviously they arent dealing with the unmarked ones either.

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
Tons of crab traps in Dickinson Bayou/Bay also. Isn't there a limit to how many crab traps a person can run?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I ran out of the mouth of Clear Lake into the bay at night and almost ran into a bunch of them. I don't remember seeing that many there before.

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
podnuh said:
Tons of crab traps in Dickinson Bayou/Bay also. Isn't there a limit to how many crab traps a person can run?
When they are not complying with any laws at all, there are no limits on anything, but if I recall correctly, with a commercial crabbers license they can run about 300 traps.

I stand to be corrected on that number so if anyone knows for sure, call BS on this. :D

Bob

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Just a question, but if they are unmarked.....how is anyone going to prove they are/are not yours? I say if they are obstructions and unmarked grab um. I don't see how anyone could claim an untagged basket as thiers.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Hmmmm....or better yet, carry some tags in your boat...grab and unmarked trap and tag it real quick. Then its yours, no? You can haul in a pile of the old nasty things and nobody is the wiser.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Dutch Treat said:
When they are not complying with any laws at all, there are no limits on anything, but if I recall correctly, with a commercial crabbers license they can run about 300 traps.

I stand to be corrected on that number so if anyone knows for sure, call BS on this. :D

Bob
I was curious, Bob, so I looked it up. Only 200 traps per commercial license ... but I also read no one can hold more than 3 commerical crab licenses. So, it looks like 600 per individual ... I only did a quick scan of the regs.

Bob
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_v3400_0074.pdf

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I doubt any poacher, that's what they are, would call the Game Warden and complain that someone stole their illegal traps.

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
i've been saying for awhile that the crab trap regulations should be reviewed, then overhauled. crab traps littering every major and minor local waterway are a menace, unsightly, and have all but ruined the weekend family crabbing outing as i remember it. there are simply way too many of them, in my opinion, legal or illegal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts